Life of Pi

This book is overrated garbage. I'm sick of this fucking shit getting pawned off as some kind of artistic masterpiece.

What didn’t you like about it then?

it's oprah reading

Shit like this:
>Impressive enough to make you, as the old man said, believe in God . . . Martel has hit on a marvellous notion and reveals in elaborating it - Scotsman
>Every page offers something of tension, humanity, surprise or even ecstasy - The Times
Partly the godawful pretentious hype surrounding it. The entire book is just really weirdly written. Pandering "haha how silly non-theists must be for being so rational", as in, the author literally uses the word "rational" and then tries to play that off as a bad thing. Also, Pi just comes across as extremely irritating and edgy and stupid. None of the characters are particularly likeable and some of the """""chapters""""" are literally like 6 lines or less.

What are some other essential normalfagcore novels?

-Harry Potter
-The Hobbit (if you are patient enough for the stupidly long descriptions of literally everything)
-The Book Thief/The Messenger

i mean if you're gonna go down this path, you have to bash nearly everything the normies ever did, said, created, or believed in. it's a big can of worms ya know?
all you can really do is not give your money for a copy of the book, that's really it

Ulysses.

I read it when I was 14. I just remember the book being okay for a young adult novel but the ending killed the whole thing.

Like, the whole book was symbolic I guess, but the author explained at the end how none of it happened and how all the animals and shit were just symbols for people and none of the shit actually happened. If you have to explain the symbolism explicitly in the final chapter, that is a sign that your writing isn't good.

this desu. Whatever than old fart recommends is going to be shilled to high heaven. It was made into a film (and something of an art film for a major release) as well which will only amplify the shilling.

hahhaa, does it really do that? Thats like the cliche "you woke up and it was all a dream" children write in first school when then dont know how to end their piece.

game of thrones and especially the books after the 3rd.

There are plenty of things normies do which are perfectly fine. Typically, normies drink water and while water may not be the most amazing thing ever i cant countersignal drinking it. More reasonably, normalfags tend to have very loose opinions because they ultimately seek acceptance and to remain part of the group (were this not the case society would probably crumble) so one taken from 2000 will probably like LotR and alien (the films ofc - most people dont read much if at all) but the same one taken in 2016 may say they dislike LotR because of its overt themes (if they care enough to remember it) or simply because it is old. The point is, normies speak in platitudes given to them by the media (or whatever group theyre a part of but the media is ostensibly the opinion of the masses) so that they may signal about how normal they are and how they too are part of the group. Most people just want to get along and enjoy themselves and complicated words and opinions just get in the way of that.

The point is, their opinions are rarely well thought out and may not really even be their own so its unfair to assault them for it.

>their opinions are rarely well thought out and may not really even be their own so its unfair to assault them for it.
you've literally just made a direct co-relation to what you are doing to this book

>some of the """""chapters""""" are literally like 6 lines or less.
What's wrong with that?

IJ

Some of those most mediocre books make bretty gud movies.

I read it a few years ago. My mom always buys me this type of book for Christmas. I also thought it was shite

IJ isn't normcore, its entry level snobbery.

>Partly the godawful pretentious hype surrounding it
That's your problem, that has nothing to do with the book.

>some of the """""chapters""""" are literally like 6 lines or less.
And? Faulkner did this, you gonna bash him?

>Also, Pi just comes across as extremely irritating and edgy and stupid
>None of the characters are particularly likeable
Really? You are going to pull the reddit I hate Catcher in the Rye because of Holden as an argument here?

I'm not saying the book was good or bad since Ive never read it but you are doing a terrible job at trying to convince anyone to agree with you.

> the author literally uses the word "rational" and then tries to play that off as a bad thing
If only there were great writers and thinkers of history who used the word rational to mean bad or misguided or aimed their philosophies firmly against what they saw as the hyper rationality of the time.

i thought it was pretty good, actually. it was pleasant to read and the images actually stick in my head, which is more than i can say for most shit out there.

It definitely doesn't do that. That's what the main character tells the police. It never says which version actually happened.

>I dont like the characters
>I dont like the format
>I hate the fans

havent read the book, but these are terrible reasons for not liking it. You sound like a 16 yo female booktuber.

I liked the first third. He described what was beautiful about all the religions and the imagery is very vivid. The prose is actually pretty good and each chapter is a nice little pearl of wisdom. The lost at sea portion was ok. The whole point of saying the animals weren't real at the end was because the police didn't beleive him. If you beleive the second version was what really happened you missed the point of the book. The book was a defense of faith and art over rationality. Basically the leap of faith in god is to beleive the story with the animals.