Is it healthy/respectable to read a novel in one sitting?

Is it healthy/respectable to read a novel in one sitting?

I've done it, better than sitting around smoking pot and watching Adventure Time all day.

If you can read a novel in one sitting you probably aren't doing it justice. That's my opinion. And your motives for reading it are probably flawed as well.

I've burned through books before, but mostly because I just wanted to get them under me and move on. Which is probably the typical mindset of someone who burns through a book.

Depends on the book.

I agree with this to a certain extent, but I also see merit in doing a rather low-depth initial reading of a book, and then if it seems like something worth reading more deeply going back and re-reading it.

Depends on the size desu. Doing it with novellas is absolutely fine, anything over 300 pages is an absolute no-no.
This. Everything this guy said.

I agree with this, there's no point in reading a book if you're just going to blitz through it. Normies especially take a lot of pride in saying they can finish 800 page YA books in a couple days, but it's not something to be proud of.

sure. If you're enjoying it.
350 pages is what I read in a day, anyway-

depends on the book desu. No issue if its a short book, in fact id say its good. However, if youre reading 2000 pages in a sitting, even if we assume it isnt skim reading, are you really reading 2000 pages? Your brain cant process all of that in 1 go. If its a simple story withour any meaning then i guess you could (say, harry potter) but anything beyond a literal and simple story is going to require more time and thought.

just because you don't have the focus to read for a longer period doesn't mean it isn't valid. Do you watch films in 30min. slices too? Some novels are perfectly suitable to be read in one sitting. Henry James, Graham Greene, Evelyn Waugh, etc.

Yeah but so is eating shit

Assuming you read 50 pages an hour which is rather fast, it would take you 6 hours to finish a small novel. Seems rather excessive, some people might be able to do it but you can't accuse people of lacking focus just because they're unable or not willing to do this.

Why not? They do lack the focus to do it.

I read about 100 an hour, it obviously depends, but my previous examples take me about that long, so a short novel usually takes me three hours at most. What annoys me is this mentality across the board that if you read more than 50 pages an hour you're rushing or you don't retain anything you've read.

The average reading speed is about 250wpm, if you're used to reading usually this is 300 or 350, about the amount of words on a single page.
Maybe you're in the top percent of fast readers, but most people only read about 50 pages an hour if the book is challenging and you want to retain most the information.
Maybe you're an exception, but it's fairly standard for most people to not be able to read a 300 page book in one sitting and actually enjoy it/remain focused the entire time.

Not everyone is capable to remain focused for 6 hours straight whilst still enjoying what they're reading, in fact I doubt many people can.
Even for less intellectually demanding forms of entertainment (movies/tv) 6 hours is excessive.

Why are you wasting your life here if your mind is really as retentive as you say?

>if your mind is really as retentive as you say

Thank you for a reasonable response, I don't disagree with you. I'd like to add that the more you read, the easier some things get, and what took you longer to aprehend becomes much easier, and faster to read.

Yes, what's unhealthy about reading a book

It's at least healthier than 6 hours on Tumblr

There's no way to read Crime and Punishment the first time without a multi day sprint.

Yeah, maybe if you're a low-IQ brainlet

>Not everyone is capable to remain focused for 6 hours straight
Okay. That's fine. I'm not criticising them for it. The fact remains that they lack focus.

Or 6 hours here

Giving how modern contemporary culture loves to brag how much they sat in front of Netflix all day for hours on end what is the most hours you've read a novel in a single sitting?

When talking about long periods, such as 6 hours, it's no longer a question of focus and more a question of commitment.
If one had 6 hours to read a text they were then required to analyse, I'm sure most people would be able to.
If they had 6 hours of spare time and decided to pick up a book, no one would want to spend all 6 hours just reading the book, and this goes for any activity not just reading.
To say people don't read for pleasure 6 hours in a row because they "lack focus" is wrong, because I highly doubt anyone actually wants to read the book 6 hours straight but doesn't have the focus to do so.

I count time in Netflix episodes, so I'd say the longest I've ever read a book for would be 6 Netflix episodes and a Netflix short.