Plagiarization

Has Veeky Forums ever noticed plagiarization before?

Bret Easton Ellis plagiarized Morrissey

From the "End of the 1980s" section of American Psycho (1991):
"I still, though, hold on to one single bleak truth: no one is safe, nothing is redeemed. Yet I am blameless. Each model of human behavior must be assumed to have some validity. Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do?"

From the Morrissey B-side "Sister I'm a Poet" (1988):

Along this way
Outside the prison gates
I love the romance of crime
And I wonder :
Does anybody feel the same way I do?
And is evil just something you are
Or something you do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uALHgoLHSZk
poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2012/04/richard-princes-latest-act-of-appropriation-the-catcher-in-the-rye
theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/09/poetry-plagiarism-copying-maya-angelou-ira-lightman-will-storr
rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/why-do-the-chinese-copy-so-much/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>he doesn't know how intertext works

you would probably also disagree with Tarantino's chop-and-copy scenes that, when asked about, he called 'homages', right

theres a difference between allusion and plagiarism, not always clear

A lot of Roman playwrights took their plots from Greek plays.

I have an annotated edition of The Society of the Spectacle' that marked all the pieces which Debord straight-up lifted from Marx and replaced 'capital' by 'spectacle'. It's almost half of the book.

-eh. I was bilingual for the last stretch of school (I moved to germany from the states) so when I had to write a report on anything, I'd just go to the english wikipedia and then translate the article myself. works every time.

There's a freebee for all you sad fucks still in school.

pls b tru

Shakespeare took his plots from everyone.

I'm not even a huge BEE fan, but was Morrissey really the first person in human history to say those words in that order before? Let alone to reach that question?

I am sick and tired of this. Every day I come to Veeky Forums, and every day there is at least one thread up with an OP image of an attractive woman dressed scantily and posing seductively. It's probably the same one or two people who do it honestly. Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "flash" and pizazz in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone. And before you say anything, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I don't have a girlfriend. Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses, so enjoy being able to post here while it lasts, because it's not going to last long, just like you that one time you convinced an obese girl to let you fuck her.

He was probably aware of this too, since there are more than a few references to the Smiths in Rules of Attraction

No I have not

Dick Wimmer stole from the final stanza of Hart Crane's "Purgatorio" (1931-2) for his "Irish Wine Trilogy" (2001):

Hart Crane:

But rather like a blanket than a quilt
And I have no decision—is it green or brown
That I prefer to country or to town?
I am unraveled, umbilical anew,
So ring the church bells here in Mexico—

Dick Wimmer:

Speeding through Saturday morning London traffic in the plush leathery comfort of this Austin cab and I'm unraveled, umbilical anew!

If BEE was aware of it (which he undoubtedly was) then it's plagiarism.

Simon and Garfunkel stole from The Kinks

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's kind of a far-out theory, but I think Joyce stole the plot for Ulysses from Homer.

>"End of the 1980s" section
>music-fetishizing psycho quotes a Morrissey B-side from 1988

>OP freaks the FUCK out

brb cant live on this earth anymore putting my own head in a toilet

Woah woah slow down there

Shakespeare took his plots from her majesty the Queen.

>defending plagiarists

It's not plagiarism or an homage you goofs, it's characterization. Bateman spergs out about Huey Lewis, of course he's going to pass Morrissey lyrics off as his own.

It's not defensible. Ellis stole the Morrissey lyric and tried to pass it off as his own.

Pretty good song desu youtube.com/watch?v=uALHgoLHSZk

only libtards claim that ''''''''''''''''''ownership of thoughts''''''''''''''''' is not a retarded idea and only the most retarded libtards claim is it a crime to '''''''''''''''''''''''''steal the ideas of others''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Use English please

After extensive research, I've determined that Milton actually plagiarized much of the story of Paradise Lost from the Bible.

Groundbreaking stuff, I know. I'm going to write and publish a book on it soon.

Big if true

There's a difference between drawing on religious and mythological texts for background to purposefully stealing a few lines from another work because you think no one will notice.

you're Bert Easton Elis is like little babby, OP:

poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2012/04/richard-princes-latest-act-of-appropriation-the-catcher-in-the-rye

That type of appropriation art is so dumb. This is a good article on a poetry plagiarization sleuth. theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/09/poetry-plagiarism-copying-maya-angelou-ira-lightman-will-storr

everything is dumb, morty

don't defend these hacks. there's good conceptual art out there but richard prince is not one of them.

for a ridiculously long time i've been working on a collage exclusively made out of excerpts from various authors where i only change proper nouns with the most minimal editing
and funnily enough, that's silly tough hard work

yes he is

>>/ic/

It's funny because that Rick and Morty episode about the mini universes is a blatant ripoff of Sturgeon's 'The Microscopic God'.

*Microcosmic
Fuck autocorrect

meet me there at dawn, user
choose your weapon

everything is a copy of something
you are a copy of both your parents

No idea exists in a vacuum

Unless of course - Kant's a priori

>This thread has been pruned or deleted
kek

道可道,非常道。名可名,非常名。

rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/why-do-the-chinese-copy-so-much/

This isn't intertext though, Ellis clearly knowingly took those lyrics thinking no one would notice.

Or, it's the character quoting the song, which seems a fairly batemanish thing to do

kek

There's no indication that he's quoting it