What book has had the greatest impact on your life?

What book has had the greatest impact on your life?

Either The Bothers Karamazov or Leaves of Grass

I've been struggling to get out of bed for the last two years since reading this

Help

Now why's that?

I don't think a single book; just the accumulation of different books.

My nigga.

Pretty much Demian and Steppenwolf.

Demian definitely. It's nice to see I'm not the only one so affected by it.

How would you say has it changed you?

Spinoza's Ethics. Most brilliant work I have read so far. Not only his metaphysical system, but the parts about the emotions and their relations. I need to read empiricsts and Kant next.

The Freud Reader. Fukn blew my mind and gave me a starting point for further reading in psychology, sociology and related fields.

And Tolstoy's novels in general. I love Tolstoy.

I identified myself with Sinclair a lot, my childhood was pretty much a 1/1 copy of his.
My teenage years went pretty much the same, except without the whole war stuff - It's almost uncanny.

Then I read Steppenwolf and found out that I was going to become just like our friend Haller, so I changed my ways, by doing so I knew a lot of people, including one that's pretty much like Hermine, minus the lesbianism.
I hope it does not end in a tragedy, or with me killing her.

The impact is that it serves as a justification of my behaviour. I did learn a few things but only because there was an ecological fit between me and the book.

>Demian
>Demian
>Demian
At least don't be so brazen about being underage.

>tfw people who read Demian stop aging

because it's such a snoozefest

Yes, if you're already not a teenager and the most impactful book in your life is still a "how to deal with teenage angst" bildungsroman, then you either didn't read much or didn't mature mentally or both.

his essays

Same here. It made me fucking suicidal. But just pick up some Stoicism and you'll be fine.

They should put freetardism in DSM-6.

"Beneath the Wheel" by Hesse. It made me irreversibly cynical about mankind from a young age.

amazing how a bunch of "mentally ill" people revolutionized human civilization

>people were hedonist before
>now people are hedonist with a few more easy pleasures and few less pains

this is a revolution according to hedonists

Probably Demian too, incidentally. All of Hesse made an impression on me when I first started reading

Books dont impact me in the same way anymore, precisely because I am not underage anymore

>hedonism
>arguing online

irony which you brought upon yourself

so is non-free shit not hedonists? or are they just not revolutionary?