Grammar

Hi lit, I'm obviously not from around these parts.

Is this the best board to come to if I have questions about grammer? I promise I'm not trying to bait, I just have terrible grammer for certain reasons.

Ok how do I fix this quote and make it grammatical correct? I think I have it mostly right.

"... still fighting over crumbs; where is the bread? "

This quote is mostly correct right?

pic related

Thanks but it's just so boring reading this kind of thing and I won't be able to remember all these rules.

Can only say:
"Too many crumbs; not enough bread."

>... still fighting over crumbs; where is the bread?
>This quote is mostly correct right?

Depends on what you're trying to convey.

The way i learned about English grammar was through movies and tv series. A big help was also my English speaking friends calling me out every time i phrased something grammatically wrong.
So watch media, read books but most importantly talk to people who are well versed in the English language, and not afraid to help (call) you out when you say something wrong. It's like muscle memory, so you'll only truly learn by doing.

I am an Native speaker. I'm just terrible at writing and grammer.

I want to quote a song lyric but I don't want to mess up the grammer.

Grammar*
As i said, only advice i can give for something like that is get yourself some friends that'll help you.

You guys are my friends, right?

110% :)

Post feet

The quote needs more context if we need to know things like this.

Yeah right
A friend by day
An enemy by night

I am sick and tired of this. Every day I come to Veeky Forums, and every day there is at least one thread up with an OP image of an attractive woman dressed scantily and posing seductively. It's probably the same one or two people who do it honestly. Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "flash" and pizazz in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone. And before you say anything, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I don't have a girlfriend. Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses, so enjoy being able to post here while it lasts, because it's not going to last long, just like you that one time you convinced an obese girl to let you fuck her.

Are you a tentacle monster? (Anime girls fuck tentacle monsters)

Wow, this board sometimes...

The only thing anyone could take offense at is that there is no verb in your first clause. does not help that at all.

As per , if you're quoting, use the original language. The only time you might prefer a more grammatical paraphrasing would be for something formal, in which case (pop?) culture references are possibly iffy.

OP, what's this for?

So, basically the lyrics are;

>N*ggas, still fighting over crumbs; where the bread at?

I wanted to omit the N-word because I don't want to use it as much. The lyric is a metaphor, I think, for small minded people fighting each other over chump change instead of focusing on building generational wealth.

Feel free to quote anything I've typed and correct it; as I've just thrown around punctuation marks where it would look cool to me.

Ok my next try:
"I want my bread; all I get is crumbs."

>Feel free to quote anything I've typed and correct it; I've just thrown around punctuation marks where it would look cool to me.
or
>Feel free to quote anything I've typed and correct it, as I've just thrown around punctuation marks where it would look cool to me.
Semicolons are one of the easiest punctuation marks to misuse. When you do use one, check that both parts of the sentence would read correctly as a standalone sentence, as though there were a period separating them. If you can replace the semicolon with a comma you're doing it wrong. It looks like you're using it correctly in your paraphrases of the quote though.
We can probably give better advice if you share more about the piece. The quotes you've posted look grammatically correct on their own but we can't see the context they're being used in.

Alternatives:
"Don't need no crumbs; all I want is bread."
"Crumbs on sight; bread in my mind."

>in
Should be "on".

>We can probably give better advice if you share more about the piece. The quotes you've posted look grammatically correct on their own but we can't see the context they're being used in.

Ok, thank! It's the first verse in Drake's "Still Here."

Not literature, reported

I read the sticky and it said nothing about this thread being against the rules.