So a new Odyssey translation just came out and it was done by a woman. Is it good?

So a new Odyssey translation just came out and it was done by a woman. Is it good?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/11/02/magazine/the-first-woman-to-translate-the-odyssey-into-english.html
broadviewpress.com/product/sir-gawain-and-the-green-knight/#tab-description
hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674990807
twitter.com/AnonBabble

put me in the screencap

no

Not about this particular version, but anyone know a decent English version of the Odyssey and the Iliad with the original Greek? Like English on one side, Greek on the other?

A woman did the best translation of Don Quixote so maybe I'll give it a shot.

No sorry, but if you ever want a facing translation recommendation for Gawain and the Green Knight or The Gallic War hit me up.

>Tell me, O muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide after xhe had sacked the famous town of Troy.

fucking dropped

MAN OF COMPLICATION

***HUMYN OF COMPLICATION

despite what the peons here will say it is quite good. Homer in iambic penta meter. .. fresh

Well nigger, I'm hitting you up.

Why does "complicated man" trigger Veeky Forums so much? I think it works. But I'm sure some learned gentlemen of high reading marks will correct me.

Two thumbs up for the Penguin Classics translation

TELL ME ABOUT THE COMPLICATED MAN, WHY DOES HE DECK HIS RAGS?

Loeb, yo.

Because it doesn't sound as pretty. Yes, you can use all the justification you want, it boils down to this, but I don't think that's a problem. Are you bilingual? I speak English and Spanish and every day you hear words that could be translated smoothly into another word, but some times meaning and context is lost. You need that context to make it feel the same, and even then sometimes it doesn't work, so you try to translate a single word by using several, to convey the meaning.

Wouldn't you feel upset if 20 years later someone builds upon this translation and changes "complicated" into strange or misunderstood or any other word that further exacerbates the broken telephone problem of translating things?

Because it's incorrect.

Retard

Ulysses isn't complicated. He just wants to go home.

Makes you think

This has already been covered and the general consensus was that it's garbage.

You're so objectively correct and assertive user, I'm so wet please destroy my boipussy

Sorry I'm straight.
Although we could arrange something if you're a qt trap.

>wants to read a text more than two thousand years old
>Wont read a book published last century

I bet you really mean it you nasty boi

Are they good? I want to get symposium and poetics, might put the loeb versions on my xmas list.

Loeb will probably rerelease Homer in a new translation. Something to keep in mind.

>Nor are existing volumes immortal, as even the most solid ones inevitably grow outdated in one way or another. And so, the LCL embarked on a massive revaluation project to grade each existing edition for retention, revision, or replacement, and to add such new editions as would likely be received as valuable and interesting. Accordingly, new authors and works continue to be added, but revisions and replacements appear at an equal pace: over 25% of the Library’s editions have already been revised or replaced, and in many cases expanded by adding lesser-known or fragmentary works.

Its so sad

read these links and get back to us

nytimes.com/2017/11/02/magazine/the-first-woman-to-translate-the-odyssey-into-english.html

How has no one commented that the cover uses minoan art, not mainland greek art. What's up with that?

It's a little odd.

Polytropos is impossible to translate into modern english without being overly verbose, and therefore killing the terse manner in which it is actually written.

I dont know what the right choice is. Maybe to do it like a shitty fansub, translaters note: Kleos means cute.

The ancient Greek society that isolated and confined women to their houses were somehow perfectly fine with women whoring around. It all makes sense now.

Modern translations are almost always inferior to older ones: see Dryden's Aeneid translation, and Pope's Odyssey and Iliad: both of which supersede all the translations produced in this century and the last.

I'm reading Lattimore's Odyssey and it seems like Homer is constantly emphasising how treachourous and immoral the suitors are, along with any of the Ithakans who aid them
Doesn't seem like a big jump to also pass this judgement onto the women that sleep with them, the same shaming was done to Parisian women who consorted with Nazi soldiers

Pope's ""translation"" is needlessly pompous neoclassical garbage and it has absolutely nothing to do with Homer you turbopseud

Here's what she actually said, guys

t. Brainlet

Genuinely just awful

W O M A N E D

Do better

whats this about the complicated man meme?

why, you are obviously too mentally underdeveloped to handle Pope's translation, what makes you think you can handle my epic comebacks?

Parisian women who consorted with Nazi soldiers were often facing the choice of starvation or prostitution.

I enjoy pope's translation.
Why do you need to assume things about me?
Do better.
Could it possibly be frogmen just enjoy berating women, regardless of their own abilities?

they have a number of translations, which one do you mean?

because its just a picture on a book ya silly sausage

>you are obviously too mentally underdeveloped to handle Pope's translation
t. easily impressible illiterate moron who hasn't read Homer in the original Greek and thinks that Pope's wankery is in any way hard to handle

Its probably the best work of translation in English after the KJV and Tyndale et al who preceded it.

Well she sure nailed the noble part, wow

if you're not the same person then I apologize for insulting you.

I enjoy Austen and Brontë because of the merit of their works. I detest Wilson because she writes garbage and then brags about it in a national media campaign.

You missed the point mate, I'm saying that throughout history women who slept with the occupying enemy weren't looked favourably upon
Therefore it's not a stretch to imagine that Homer's presentation of the maidservants can be interpreted as 'whores' or 'sluts'

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight translated by James Winny
broadviewpress.com/product/sir-gawain-and-the-green-knight/#tab-description

Loeb Classical Library edition of The Gallic War with translation by Edwards.
hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674990807

Make sure you get the ones with facing page translation since I think there might be versions without.

The Gawain and the Green Knight one is especially good because he just translates the meaning (unlike a lot of hack translations which try to cram in the alliteration and meter as well), so you can just read the original and get the effect of all the nice alliteration and rhythm and check the translation if you don't understand the meaning.