Cast iron

Cast iron

Attached: 517cJC1ys7L._SX355_.jpg (355x199, 8K)

Not enough mana

meme iron

Attached: cast iron.png (642x1083, 91K)

You're fucking retarded.

Outdated.

>enjoy my cast iron
>user says it's shit
>ask why they think it's shit
>they dance around the question and just keep calling it shit without elaborating
>"You only think it's shit because you saw some other anons calling it's shit, don't you?"
>they stop responding

every time with these cast iron haters

Attached: sponge.jpg (192x154, 15K)

Enjoy eating teflon, sweetie.

>mfw can't season a pan worth crap, and it rusted in only a few months

Maintaining this thing was a nightmare.

It's seasoning the damn thing all the damn time, then there's the rust problem. Don't get me wrong, I cook with mine exclusively, but it has it's downsides. Others are just too bitch-made to prevent and handle them.

are you literally braindead?

>clean with water
>put back on stove
>burn off water
>rub canola oil on it

that's literally all you need to do. holy fuck.

Cast iron is fine, but carbon steel skillets are more versatile.

The key is liking bacon. If you cook bacon in it daily for a month, you won't ever have to worry about it rusting out again. Also, just rinse it out while it's still hot after each use.

Attached: 31Y2vjYccVL.jpg (500x500, 14K)

>>clean with water
>>put back on stove
>>burn off water

What? Why would I do this instead of just cleaning it and drying it off

>Maintaining
You mean the initial seasoning?
After that it's less work than non-sticks.

I guess that explains why you're incapable of not fucking up a hunk of metal.

the real problem is that it was super sensitive. If even one tiny drop of water was left over after burning it off, the whole thing gets rusted.

Also, for some reason my food always stuck to it no matter how well I seasoned it and maintained it.

>cleaning it and drying it off

That's exactly what user just described.

Why would I burn off the water instead of wiping it off with a paper towel?

you burn out on the stove to rid of every bit of moisture in the porous metal that you cant get rid of by just wiping it down you dumb fuck

I usually wipe it down with a tiny bit of oil while it's hot.

thats retarded

Ooh. I guess that would explain why mine rusted. I thought wiping it down in a warm oven would be enough, but I guess you need really hot temps.

what? you realize that water is INSIDE of the metal too right? cast iron is a porous metal. that means just wiping off the metal is leaving moisture on the inside of the pan, which leads to rust. you said yourself you cant keep it from rusting, do you understand what youre doing wrong now? you dont even have to wipe it down. you can wash it out in the sink and throw it on the stove for 5 minutes and then youre good. its that easy user.

>one tiny drop of water
>rusted
>my food always stuck
>I seasoned it and maintained it
You didn't season or maintain it properly.

mine doesnt rust and im not that user. I just wipe it down, then wipe some oil on it with a cloth

rust spots dont nessecarily always show on the outside. if youre not burning it off it will most certainly not last. its only a matter of time.

how high of heat do I have to let it sit on the stove for

just throw it on high heat after youre done cleaning it and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. enough to get the whole pan hot.

>high heat
>5-10 minutes

RIP seasoning

?
you're retarded. 5-10 minutes is the bare minimum you should be heating your cast iron. it's a hunk of metal. you literally cant it get hot enough in that time frame to cause any damage to the seasoning.

Or you could use steel and learn to preheat your pan, sweetie.

>learn to preheat your pan
Are you under the impression that cast iron heats instantly? Just how new are you to cooking, or life in general?

Are you high, or just not making sense?

The reason shit is sticking in your pans is because you aren't preheating properly or using the right kind of oil for your application. Smooth steel is far less fragile, and non-stick enough to cook a fucking cake in if you know what you're doing.

Cast-iron is a hipster throw-back for people with too much time on their hands.

Just more hassle to work with them.

>The reason shit is sticking in your pans
Shit isn't sticking in my pans. Who do you think you're replying to?

Probably some idiot who is molly-coddling a cast-iron pan, wasting time and effort.

Don't get me wrong, using iron when play-camping is cute and all, but it's not efficient at all inside a modern kitchen. Fuck, it hasn't been useful for over half a century for anyone who knows how to use a pan, oil, and any abrasive that can make steel smooth.

>Transistors
>Heart transplants
>space exploration
>tards chimping out over which animals to sacrifice to appease their cast iron pans
The 21st century is certainly suprising

Attached: 1519408267313.jpg (500x500, 74K)

I use mine almost daily and have never had any of the issues that are described in this thread.

>cooking

Attached: 1508948743984.png (128x125, 29K)

Your*

youre retarded

The best.
Cityfags likes this are cancer that needs to die.

Luckily for you, it's easy to get rid of rust.

>put in oven
>set on self-clean
The high heat will btfo anything that isn't the iron itself. But this also means you need to reseason from square 1.

>preheat to 350
>coat in oil or lard (anything that isn't olive oil)
>put upside down in oven for an hour
>turn off oven
>let pan cool in oven for rest of the day
>repeat 4-6 times

Even when you use it on the daily, its a good idea to reseason every couple months.

>21st century

You forgot
>millennial manages to be surprised by multiple things already happening before he was born

i'm a legit engineer and this is bs. there is no water "inside of the metal" and there is no such thing as a "porous" metal.

>clean cast iron, this should be obvious
>rub high temp/food grade oil on iron
>rub off oil as well as you can, with the understanding that a minute amount remains within the pores snd surface despite your vigorous rubbing, you do not want too much oil
>preheat oven 350-400 Fahrenheit and place cast iron inside facing down, if you're concerned about dripping you left too much oil on the iron
>bake for 1-1/2 hours, listen different pieces using different oils inside different ovens will have different results, just use these as approximations
>allow to cool inside oven by itself, don't touch it until it's cool
>repeat if autistic

Then just cook with it. It's not that complicated. You gotta cook with it, this is old school tech, it's made to get better with use and lasts forever. Nowadays things perform best right out of the box and get progressively worse in the best of cases and have clearly defined lifespan in the worst.

It's definitely more work to maintain but I like it a lot, and it's a versatile piece of cookware.

To clean I just use hot water a chain mail scrubber, scrub all the shit out and wipe it dry with paper towels and that's it. Throw some butter in there when I'm cooking and nothing sticks.

Attached: CB78AW7WMAEdbGp.jpg (499x342, 21K)

The best purchase I ever made. I'm getting mad gains in my forearms and biceps from lifting this thing all the time, and usually shortly before I eat meat.

whats the best seasoning oil? just a good evoo?

Vegemite.

Fuck me boys

>be me
>university student in uni accomodation
>think I'll impress my flatmates by cooking some steaks in a cast iron
>read that I need to do some crazy seasoning thing
>read one guide that says put oil in the pan and place in the oven at like 250 degrees or some shit
>fucking set off the smoke alarm of my flat, the flat across the hall and the two flats above mine.
>ruined the pan

kill me now

Attached: 1520090267470.jpg (600x601, 78K)

Jej. A majority of the students in America have workarounds. LIKE BOX FANS FACING OUT THE WINDOW YOU EURO TRASH

I have a fucking extractor fan it did fuck all it looked like Eyjafjallajokull literally erupted in my oven and plunged my city into darkness.

>Burn
>Off
>Water
>Burn off water
Kys brainlet

H2O.
O=Oxygen
Oxygen tends to oxidize.
Rust is IronOxide.
Cast Iron + IronOx..... You figure it out, brainlet.

It's almost impossible to actually ruin a cast iron pan. Worst comes to worst, scrub it with soap and water and then re-season it.

well this thread is full of salt so...

Is it true you should be heating it up on the stove after cleaning with hot water?

Attached: 1515980069019.jpg (720x720, 82K)

Yeah but if your pan is well seasoned you probably didn't ruin it. You can always just sand and re season if it's rusted

what a chore to own, I mean is there any benefit to owning a cast iron other than hipster cred?

It helps me get more iron in my diet

Is seasoning cast iron the same as carbon steel?

I have a big carbon steel wok and it really isn't that hard to maintain. Like I just make sure it's heated/covered in oil after use to prevent oxidation. It pretty much became nonstick naturally after a bit of use.

It looks dirty as fuck but surely that isn't an issue given how hot it gets.

>he doesn't drink chicken blood
ok pleb, it's like you want demons molestiong your soul.

Yeah, cast iron and carbon steel are maintained in similar ways.

>a chore to own
You just scrub it with hot water, dry it off, and rub a little oil on it before putting it away, right? That's all I've been doing and it seems to work fine so far.

>just do this chore before putting it away