What films would Veeky Forums choose for a similar list?

What films would Veeky Forums choose for a similar list?

>tfw no /film/ board

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/dontdontdont/list/cult-and-rare-movies/
youtube.com/watch?v=hUILf0O_yL8&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What about /tv/?

>similar list
You mean high-school classics, shitty forced memes, babby's first big boy books, English lit freshmen's choice award winners and Harry Potter? Tough call.

Cinema is one of the most degenerated arts, it can have a greatly vile influence on immature minds, so I would advise caution with the movies that interest you.

Orphans of the Storm and Abraham Lincoln

Criterion + AFI/BFI tops + Karagarga's monthly tops

Why so bitter?

Good post, although, DW Griffith isn't the one and only 'Great'

>Tfw DW Griffith thread got deleted

In response to that user asking me about why i think Intolerance is better than Birth of a Nation and is therefore, DW's masterpiece.

I've seen majority of his major and non-major films (Orphans of the Storm,Broken Blossoms). Birth of a Nation is close behind Intolerance only because i believe he achieved much of the experimental framing and cinematography he aimed for in Birth of a Nation in Intolerance.

We really need a film discussion board, Hiro. /tv/ is /celeb/

True, there's also Flaherty, Keaton, Vidor, and Maurice Torneur

Replace Maurice Torneur with Carl Theodor Dreyer and you're good.

And then add Terrance Malick

don't try cinema, better stick to books.

Malick is dreck, add Stroheim

Cinema and Literature are two different forms of expression for an artist. They both have shit leeches (Books: 50 Shades, Harry Potter, Hunger Games Film: Marvel Cinematic Universe, Bad Mom's Christmas, Fast and Furious 8) and both have their classics and superiors , an example for that would be this thread.
I think Andrei Tarkovsky is on the same level as Dostoevsky in exploring the human condition. You should watch more films from good directors, the medium is only barely 100 years old but it's maturing fast

>Stroheim
Stanley Kubrick

No one here's comparing books and films, it's quite obvious to even a monkey that they are both different form of arts, but cinema in almost all of this whole is comprised of malefic works that have much more influence on the common folk than a book.

Like I said before, there are good films and good directors, I just advised caution when looking for things to watch. Tarkovsky, like you said, is comparable to Dostoyevsky, the Tree of Life is also amazing, I could list another dozens of good films, but they're mostly old and no one nowadays, outside of enthusiasts, cares about them. Everything that is successful these days are movies that glorifies sexual degeneracy, extreme meaningless violence, nihilistic world views, forced diversity and acceptance, etc.

I probably have just been interpreting your posts wrong because we both seem to have similar taste in fiction. Tree of Life is my favorite film of all time.

> I could list another dozens of good films, but they're mostly old and no one nowadays, outside of enthusiasts, cares about them

Going to a good film school will expose those films to people who would have otherwise not seen them. I cant see these realizations as negatives anymore because there's no end to being disappointed about it. Same thing can be said about books tenfold.

> Everything that is successful these days are movies that glorifies sexual degeneracy, extreme meaningless violence, nihilistic world views, forced diversity and acceptance, etc.

Not everything, Blade Runner and a couple Cannes' films would be an antithesis to this but I see what you're saying.

what about Murnau? Lang? Mizoguchi?

Murnau is excellent. Don't know about the other two.

Early Murnau only.

Nah. We don't need name dropping. We do it every time and it accomplishes nothing.

All three of them are good but only Mizoguchi rises above the other two, mainly because he reminds me of Masaki Kobayashi

It happens all the time on Veeky Forums though, we're just honoring those we look up too ,user

Although I agree it happens a lot

what's early Murnau? his earliest film I've seen is Nosferatu

but Ugetsu is better than anything Kobayashi has done

I haven't seen Ugetsu.

Murnau is relatively minor comparatively, especially if acknowledging his work as a UFA and Hollywood slave. Perhaps the most revealing in his bastardization of Flaherty's Tabu.

Meant to respond to him. Sunrise is still definitely Murnau's masterpiece.

It's good. I've only seen it and Sansho The Bailiff but they're definitely worth watching. Life of Oharu is the other film that gets linked when concerning Mizoguchi's best work.

>Kobayashi

Literally only seen Harakiri but I wasn't impressed.

wait, what? I haven't seen Tabu, are you referring to Flaherty's Moana? I've only seen Nanook by him, I didn't care much for it, is Moana better?

Sunrise is great, but Faust is amazing.

Kwaidan is good.

Ah, a gathering of fellow film conoisseurs! Who else here has watched the films of Bela Tarr and Andrej Tarkovskij, the great explorers of the Human Condition? What are some other Veeky Forums (as in literature, the greatest Art) film directors?

no need to thank me, just doing my job

Neither Blade Runner is successful commercially. Also if you meant 2049 is good you should top yourself immediately.

Ironically no one but you has brought up Tarkovskiy or Tarr ITT, edgelording tard.

>Fassbinder
>Goddard
>Truffeau
>Kubrick
>Tarr
>Tarkovsky
>Kurosawa

That's all you need to know about cinema

herzog, wong kar wai and haneke for the memes

kubrick is middlebrow trash

God I hate these fucking charts. Fear and Loathing, Slaughterhouse 5, Roadside Picnic, and Philip K Fucking Dick make it on to the list, but the Pisan Cantos, Revenge for Love (Or Tarr), and Four Quartets don't? Jesus fuck, why does this board pretend to be educated again?

godard is shit

I agree.
How about hijack this thread
>last film you saw
>what you took away from it
>try to have meaningfull discussion about concepts in film/literature/philosophy, which lacks on tv and in namedropping threads.

I watched the 2007 remake of Funny Games last night. Allthough the fourth walls breaks got me spot on, making me think about the role of the audience in the production of slashers/gorno's/generally horrible horror films, the audience as a victim of the film like the family is a victim of the invaders,... it was the shift almost midfilm that got me most.

The way Hanememe allows space for a few long, drawn out, quiet scens with almost no camera movement really confronts the viewer with what just happend.

Also: i found the sense of sexual dread as soon as they started talking about Naomi Watts' body was done perfect imo. Subtle, but effective. This aspect wasn't as strong in the original Austrian version ifrc

It's really not that bad. Compare it to the reddit list and you'll see why Veeky Forums consideres itself educated in comparison to other internet literary hangouts.

go back to nolan pleb

Watch more movies.

>DFW and Camus at 1 and 2
This is embarassing desu

>tfw /tv/ sucks

and so does my taste

A Man for All Seasons (1966)
Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears (1979)

Classics like His Girl Friday. Fuck all the tryhard fucks in his thread. We get it, you sat through a Tarr film. GOOD FUCKING JOB.

>Kurosawa
>no Ozu
>that's all you need to know about cinema

>2014 list
Your reddit is showing

You forgot Bergman my man

I love Camus and his works a lot, but even then he doesn't deserve to be in the top five, or probably top fifteen to be honest. I think his major works are fantastic and one or two should have their place on the top 100, but reasonable positions.

>no jodorowsky
wtf is this thread doing

>not letting the brilliance of contempt flow through you

this are some:
letterboxd.com/dontdontdont/list/cult-and-rare-movies/

Tarkovsky, really?, why?... what special do you see in this guy?. explorer of the human condition like dostoievsky?, why, because he is russian?.
dw griffith "the Pioneer complex". pathetic.

Good thread

You intellectual peons disgust me.

I like Godard and Wai but I don't watch movies

Not OP, but /tv/ is far too pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=hUILf0O_yL8&feature=youtu.be

my video desu

>Truffeau

spelling confirms pseud

Easier to name directors. Yang, Kubrick, Malick, Hitchcock, Hou, Bresson, Rohmer, Tian Zhuangzhuang, Ki-young, Wong Kar-wai, Murnau, Lang, Oshima.

>Murnau

Reminder Murnau wasted Flaherty's time so much making a flick about wizards that he killed him in a car crash.

(You)

cause he just read Catcher in the Rye

ZOOM BAK CAMERA

Harakiri, Kwaidan and Samurai Rebellion are 3 of the best films ever made.

>not even 100 posts ITT
>it's already /tv/ pseud tier

Yeah let's all namedrop Murnau or Ozu or Goddard, because God forbid you enjoy Assault on Precinct 13 or The Princess Bride.

Bodrov>Bondarchuk>Mikhailov>Eisenstein>Tarkovski

Bulgakov>Gorki>Pushkin>Dosto>Tolstoy

Film appreciation and criticism is a literary pursuit, imo.

Eisenstein is largely shit. He thinks using disparate scenes or content to make 1+1=2 or 2-1=1 is smart. It's not. It's basic fucking math. What makes Griffith and Flaherty vastly superior is that their scenes are independent but contrasted and paralleled through intellectual crosscutting and camera movements. And what idiots think is great "irony" by matchcutting opposites or playing the opposite feeling music or playing opposite narration, etc. is really just that. Doing the opposite. It's not bold, it's not genius. What Griffith and Flaherty did is genius. They don't immediately show you their irony. You have to pay attention and recall to know the irony in their works. Nearly every age in Intolerance ending in bloodshed and death while the boy gets a trial is ironic. The heft given to the boy's trial in comparison to literal ancient civilizations at war is ironic. The idea that Flaherty's subjects in Nanook or Moana never really existed is the greatest irony ever put on screen because it's an irony that takes place OFFSCREEN, you have to know that with your own knowledge.

I don't like Harakiri either. His best are the more real older ones like Thick Walled Room and Black River, though Kwaidan is a major exception to this. The Human Condition series is also massively respected.

This is the best post on filmmaking I have ever seen on this entire site, even though I can't refute it since I never watched Griffith or Flaherty.

I'd literally fight you IRL for shittalking Harakiri.

>He thinks using disparate scenes or content to make 1+1=2 or 2-1=1 is smart. It's not. It's basic fucking math
No you dumb-ass, it's A + B = C, two different shots make a third meaning. 1 + 1 would be showing the same shot twice. So much you're impressive recognition of "basic math".

Veeky Forums: Griffith, Stroheim, Flaherty, early Murnau

reddit: Lynch, Malick, Tarkovsky, Kubrick. Godard

>criticizing a visual medium through a literary mindset
You're doing it wrong

Veeky Forums: Carpenter, Herzog, Corbucci, Solima, Miike

/tv/: what you said

Eisenstein is largely TRASH, certainly no Griffith as his emphasis on the complementary for his "intellectual montage" suggests, but October has always remained in the canon. Spectacle as anti-spectacle. Abstraction of context. October is Eisenstein finally beginning to understand Griffith. Eisenstein didn't invent montage. Griffith and Stroheim exploited all elements of montage before Eisenstein even made his first film. Intolerance was studied in the first Soviet film schools. Eisenstein worshipped Griffith and wanted to thank him in person for showing him everything. Griffith also acknowledged the divergent limitations of psychology for photographic representation. When he mastered it, he rejected it in favor of distilling essence to ideology and motivation, what Eisenstein learned and contracted. Eisenstein wouldn't have existed without Griffth.

/tv/: what you said

Veeky Forums: Chang Cheh, Naruse, King Hu, Costa, Straub and Huillet

I never heard of any of these people.

>implying pseud isn't the ultimate move of a pseud
Though Goddard was a tard and Murnau did sell out.

The Night of the Hunter has to be on the list

>all these directors
>barely any mention of actual films

jesus Veeky Forums is pseud as fuck. How about mention some interesting lit-related films, instead of mindlessly rattling off names?

Anyway, Throne of Blood is pretty Veeky Forums. Probably one of the best theatre to cinema adaptations of all time.

13 Lakes

>all those retards falling for the coelho of cinema
malickfags are my favourite type of delusional pseuds along with people who think Dostoevsky wrote better than Tolstoy

Les Parapluies de Cherbourg

Gummo

Basically all of Chaplin but in particular I love his debut feature film

can someone tell me why great gatsby is so good? when i got to the part where it's just a chapter long info dump on gatsby's entire character i dropped it.

For those adventure types, one with a picaresque theme peppered with surreal qualities. This film comes to mind because it plays out much like a novel, although I haven't actually read the book it is based on. Filmed in Polish, based in Spain.

prose

>how dare you discuss arthouse without explicitly mentioning it's normal to enjoy pop-culture films too in every post
Stop being such an insecure brainlet.

i want to think this is a generic Veeky Forums choose

that's cause you're a teen

Loved this one.

yes, maybe Veeky Forums is so sad and superficially aristocratic to choose dw griffith and talk about silent films like the Real Cinema ™.

you watch enter the void?.

>Yeah let's all namedrop Joyce or Faulkner or DFW, because God forbid you enjoy Slaughterhouse 5 or The Hitchhiker's Guide.

Let's discuss a film.

How would you describe the relationship between the two main characters in Certified Copy, and how does it relate to the opening theme of imitation and originality?

Marketa Lazerova, Rashomon, Pickpocket, Hiroshima Mon Amour, The Dreamers, Last Days, Laurence Anyways, Ikiru, The Third Man, Black Narcissus, The Long Goodbye, Orpheus, The Seventh Seal, Tampopo. Chungking Express, Don't Look Now, Three Women. There's plenty of good shit out there if you look hard enough. I could keep going