I'm really sick of post-modernism pervading present day stories and literature...

I'm really sick of post-modernism pervading present day stories and literature, and the self-congratulatory smugness people who incorporate it have. It's gotten old and tired. No, you weren't clever for shitting on an entire plot just to make a point that life is so meaningless bro, it's all about meaningless things we ascribe meaning to like McDonald's Szechuan Sauce.

A child could do that. A four year old could write such a story. You're not clever, and you're not deep. David Foster Wallace is the equivalent of a mentally retarded child who everyone congratulates because they don't want to hurt its feelings. Just write entertaining stories and stop trying to be a subversive jack-off. At least you will be fucking real. I have ten times more respect for Stephen King than any 'post-modernist'.

Go watch Rick in Martin.

>the thread
>your head

I think you'd enjoy HunterXHunter OP, it's the thinking man's anime

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to shitpost on Veeky Forums.

This is why you should listen to DFW instead of bashing him for no reason to fit in to your "seckrit club"

Name 1 (one) contemporary post-modern work that does this.

>No, you weren't clever for shitting on an entire plot just to make a point that life is so meaningless bro, it's all about meaningless things we ascribe meaning to like McDonald's Szechuan Sauce.

What?

Are you saying that they aren't clever for saying "things are meaningless," and then saying you ascribe value to things like Szechuan Sauce, or are you saying they aren't clever for saying "things are meaningless but you can ascribe value to things like Szechuan Sauce"?

>and today an user who never read any postmodernism makes a nonsensical cartoon-based analogy because he's really 16 and barely understands any literature, let alone self-referentially self-referential literature.

Found the smug twat

You're so clever, man. Can I suck your dick?

Cash me ousside the text, howbow dah.

As I've said: Nihilism, cynicism, hedonism and constant 4th-wall breaking are no longer edgy, they're now the status quo in most media.

Fuck off Peterson, go back to your campus.

Best post I've seen all week

Slaying the dragon of my room dirty with postmodernity xd

>complains about post-modernism
>starts thread with sarcastic image and filename
If you want any meaningful discussion you should at least refrain from hyperbole, shitposter-kun. I'm sure you're aware a child or 4 year old would be unable to grasp "normal" stories to begin with.
I agree not everything has to be subversive, but at the same time a twistless story might feel boring to the reader if everything goes as expected and he goes "that's it?". To make this kind of story still worthwhile you need to have compelling, well established characters, but most writers are shit and don't have the skill to do that.

>implying pickle rick isn't the voice of a generation

Hats of to you fellow kekistani xD

There is a plot to most DFW stories in Brief Interviews at least.

Nice opinion broh. Where'd ya get it?

Well even DFW said that PoMo had run it's course in his lifetime and that we were due for an era of new sincerity.

>As I've said
As you've read, you mean. I read the essay, too. Do you have any of your own thoughts to add to the discussion or should I just post the link so we can stop pretending like this topic wasn't already thoroughly explored 20 years ago?

What you're referring to as "postmodernism" in the example you've given is in fact just edgy teenager "nihilism" and you are just growing out of it, which is normal. DFW's whole shtick is that he critiques the very things you take issue with. Even I know this, despite never having read anything by him, so I can only assume you are young and don't read (especially given that you used a TV cartoon as your example of "postmodernism"). I agree that postmodern tropes can be really cringy when they are poorly executed. Once you get over the fact that postmodernism triggers your moralistic, essentialist worldview and you mature a bit, it will be easier to appreciate it in context within the continuum of literary movements. Having said that, modernism is more interesting and actually more avant-garde imo. Postmodernism often feels gimmicky. There is definitely a critique to be made of postmodernism and new places to go, just not by someone like you. Your criticism seems like half-baked complaint about how so-called postmodernism is invading your bourgeois, humanist safe space.