Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previously on 'Is This Capeshit? Because It Sure Sounds Like Capeshit':

1st for Shallan’’s sweaty safehand

Anybody know of some books like The first law series? I read it couple of weeks ago (disappointing ending desu) and want to read more like it. Prefer dark gritty scifi/fantasy with violence eg; berserk, first law series etc. Nothing over the top pls

Shallan's safehand is pure and dry and smells like baby powder.
Radiant is going to be fingerblasting Adolin with her safehand every night because she's kinky like that

Damn I had to check the last link for the dragonriders of pern. I suppose dying before you finish the series bugs people anyhow

Books with huge swords like OP's pic related?

I am low brow and I really enjoy reading Jack Vance, whenever I come back from working wherever the temp agency sends me for min wage (usually 12 hour shifts) I fire up my kindle and read a Jack Vance novel, I stare at the calming watery grey sky outside my window every few pages so I'm in the best mindset to continue and fully appreciate the detailed interactions between characters and I hope I never tire of his fascinatingly wacky descriptions of raiments and humanoid civilisations.
Shaluke the swimmer is best girl, reading the hilarious travels of Rhialto in Faders Waft especially brought warmth to my cold bones and creaking joints after a day of inhaling second hand smoke, listening to my coworkers asking to borrow money from me still smelling of alcohol and cigarettes, then going home when its dark and cold.
Nothing makes a day of warehouse work or caregiving for a building full of a dozen mentally ill people usually cleaning up after them because half of them are incontinent and being hit and screamed at by the rest than a cracking good Jack Vance novel. All my problems instantly fade away when I read the incredibly well crafted, educated dialogue always with irony woven in for my absolute merriment.

Why read anything else when you can sit peacefully with a Jack Vance novel in hand and a beautiful sky above your head?

Why can't I read genre fiction anymore.
This year I've read all the Dart tower series and the first two Dunes novel.
There were glaring flaws in all of them that really put me off

>There were glaring flaws in all of them that really put me off
For example?

Read New Sun, only good genre fiction out there

In the dark tower? Deus ex machina and several plot that goes nowhere (mordere cough cough)

In Dune? Paul being a fucking Mary Sue for one.

In both novels? Charachter acting like they are playing 64D chess when, in reality, the whole plot get solved by incredible dumb actions.
Oh, this desert savages pay us to not look at what they're doing to the planet? Fair enough, it's not like this planet is the whole things that holds the universe together, who gives a shit

Oh, we're dealing with mercenaries that are actively trying to fuck us? I guess we will just sleep it trough, don't need to make guard even tho we're the best gunslinger kids that have ever existed

And a lot more, to be fair.
Like Feyd Ruatha being made into a pussy cheater who had to trick a normal Atreides foot soldier to beat him in the pit, while Herbert's also tries to pass him as a worthy rival's to Paul's charachter

Malazan

Who are some right wing sci fi or fantasy authors? Bonus points if they’re modern.
Inb4 Larry Correia and Vox Day

>grown adult males read this man's work

D R A G N I P U R

Trying to find Peter F Hamilton's Manhattan in Reverse, anyone have it to hand? B-OK dot org has failed me.

I need more commonwealth saga in my life

The sex is a little much but it’s some hard sci fi. I’ve only read Pandora’s star and it’s sequel. Are the others good?

The void trilogy takes place 1000 years after the first two books. Most of the characters still exist. The story line is very different and has large elements of fantasy. Nice to see how technology has advanced. Remember the world with the giant wild life? They reverse engineer the technology which helps humanity reach post scarcity. Definitely worth a read. First one is called The Dreaming Void.

Blindsight

>implying we care what whores think

We will use this when the other thread dies.

Should I read the Malazan Book of the Fallen first, and then the other Malazan books, or the 3 prequels first, or what?

anyone have the galactic mage audiobooks as ddl?
the torrents on ABB all dont have any seeds.

The answer to EVERY audiobook question is always ABB, Mobilism or Myanonamouse. Get yourself a myanonamouse account, or don't listen to audiobooks.

ABB doesnt have seeds. mobilism only has the ebooks. myanonymouse has been down for the past 3 days for me.

Strange, it was up for me a few hours ago but it's definitely down now

Your /sffg/ shit will never get published

I only write fanfic so there is no such thing as failure

yes

Immigration imminent

>negativity

Probably for the best.

>tfw every attempt at writing a novel, web or otherwise ends up staring a prominent breast feeding scene

>implying I can't just saunter up to kdp.amazon.com and get it published in a minute and a half

any setting where vampires are just were-bats?

isnt there a discworld books where bats pretend to be humans by becomming "vampires".
its been a long time, might not even been discworld.

Is there any SFF where the major characters are all sweet, feminine girls, males are almost entirely absent, stakes are low or nonexistent, and the focus is on the day-to-day?

Wait how did they achieve post scarcity? I don't remember that part of the books at all.

>had Sanderson's book since release day Tuesday
>haven't even reached quarter way
I'm not going to be able to meme with you guys will I?

There's literally ten times more anime than Stormlight Archive.

Yes but I want it to encroach on Western genre publishing.

OFFICIAL STORMLIGHT WAIFU RANKING CHART

God-Defying Tier
>Jasnah Kholin

Pious And Holy Tier
>Pai
>Dalinar

High Tier
>Mayalaran
>Sylphrena
>Sja-Anat
>Radiant (Shallan)
>Eshonai

Why
>Rysn
>Navani
>Lift (is 10)

Shit Taste
>Venli
>Veil (Shallan)

Incredibly Lewd
>Shallan (Shallan)

>tfw you accidentally wipe your ass with your safe hand

I think Rysn is a really cute character, and life just gave her a bad turn.

Sanderson posting isn't going away anytime soon, is it?

>Navani
You don't like milfs?

What about the cute ardent girl that wanted to ride Kaladin's dick?

why is Odium such a nice guy? he's a sweet old man who gives dalinar a drink and offers to take away his pain :')

>my waifu is cultivation
where do I fit in?

I trust in Hoid. If he off all people is scared shitless of Odium, I'll trust he has good reason too.

Is the sharp shiny yellow magical dagger given to /ourguy/ by a kind old man a hemalurgic spike or awakened?

I thought they were friends before Adonalsium got shanked and then Rayse cucked him or something

They were friends at some point at least but Hoid is now saying Rayse was an asshole before Ascending

Possibly a Dawnshard, or maybe a piece of Rayseium

Hoid was offered a Shard post-shattering but he turned it down. This implies an association with the 16 who shattered Adonalsium, and therefore a top-tier power level. And he is terrified of one specific individual holding the power of "God's own divine hatred."
If he's scared, he knows something we don't.

*consigns you and your 9 friends to thousands of years of torture by aliens*

Are the Fused/voidspren legitimately using surgebinding somehow or did Odium pirate the sourcecode and produce his own version of the magic system?

>ywn have Hoid Shardpilling you on a comfy week long walk in the wilderness
Why live lads?

Why is Nightblood so absurdly overpowered? It's able to screw up basically anything Invested with no effort but it only took 1000 Breaths to create, compared to the God King who has 50000 but is nowhere near 50x that strong

Because it runs on external investiture to power itself, it doesn't need any itself. That mixed with the vague Awakening command makes a dangerous combination.

>tfw you perform a drawing on the pink light produced by sticking a flash light up a homeless womans anus

What?

Lift is probably gonna jump all over Gawx once she comes to terms with being past puberty. She cant stop talking about dicks and butts and he's the only dude her age around.

Nightblood could irreversibly remove all magic from the universe, given enough time. He's fucking insane.

Abandon one friend to 4500 years of torture because you wussed out.

Hemalurgy is similar, and Sanderson has said that will become center-stage during the end game across the Cosmere.

>everything in this image except the face is how I imagined it
I didn't think Jezrien would look this fat tbqh, he looks like Henry VIII here

When it comes to Star Wars novels, why is the Thrawn trilogy recommended so highly above all others? Surely there must be other good ones.
Tell me about your favorites and why you like them.

I don't think he looks fat. His face is maybe kind of round, but his body implies he's just thick cause of muscle.

I imagine Windrunners would be more lean and have swimmer bodies, but Rock's one so obviously that isn't a criteria.

The only herald that looks kinda fat is Vedel and that's kind of just because she looks matronly and middle aged, out of the hourglass figure part of her life, and had loose robes.

>Individual points of view from soldiers in the army
>Extended city infiltration
>Main characters spend half the book stuck in a warren
If it wasn't for all the ANIME at the end I could swear that Oathbringer was secretly a Malazan book.

Zahn's writing is on the Asimov/Sanderson tier plain but he can spin out a darn good yarn and tend to have Doyle elements. It definitely helps that Thrawn and Pellaeon (also Car'das and Eli) are likeable people.

I don't generally read SW novels but Thrawn is the kind of archetype that I like in a character - strategic, honourable and calculating.

There's a kind of morality that Zahn introduces to the SW universe that doesn't exist in the movies or in whatever the fuck Rebels is supposed to be.

I tried Luceno's stuff and he is basically a third rate worldbuilder who writes characters autistically so I've decided not to read any SW stories that aren't written Zahn, unless I'm really out of books.

tends
If he wanted to write a proper extended city infiltration then Kaladin would have to exceed the number of chapters allocated to him.

Witcher . . .

>A white and blonde girl dressed up as a black girl. She cover herself with a pigment to become "black"

Seriously, I love Heinlein.

>luuke

Fuck off

Zahn names clones like I name files.

New Luke (7)

Am I a brainlet because I'm not even remotely interested in figuring out time travel stories involving paradox or self-consistent single timelines? The only way time travel makes sense to me is with infinite universes/timelines.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. So, every once and a while I'll remember a description of a book my dad was reading when I was a kid. Here is all I can remember:
1. science fiction
2. There was a bridge that was built between two planets. I think humans inhabited one planet and aliens the other.
3. There was a romance, they lived on the separate planets.

I don't really have any interest in reading it, but I haven't been able to find info on this book after years of looking and it's driving me crazy.

Are you just not interested or do you straight up not understand them at all?

No, time travel doesn't work well for written literature without it becoming obnoxious, you can only mention references to the music playing from a walkman/boombox/record player so many times.

I guess those versions of time travel are just beyond my suspension of disbelief. What chain of causality would entail your present self disappearing after killing an ancestor? What exactly causes the body that exists in that moment to vanish from existence? Then I see the author going down that line of thought, so in order to contrive a single timeline, they make the past/future self-consistent But what would actually disallow the time traveler from affecting their past self? Only the arbitrary external rule that the past must remain the same

It works in All You Zombies, The Time Machine and Timeline.
>you can only mention references to the music playing from a walkman/boombox/record player so many times.
That's... really specific. I think you just don't like shitty time travel.

The string of fate being severed, the anomaly being crushed out of existence by the river of time around it.

That's not an explanation. It's equivalent to "because I said so".

Yes it is, you just can't think in terms of singilar time lines.

It might be a video editing/ coding thing for me though, when you go back in an editor and cut something it just stops existing from that point onwards, there's no "corpse" or alternate time line/ multiverse.

Ditto for end commands.

The only goo timetravel is internally consistent loops. None of this "change the past" shit, the past was ALREADY changed before you ever went back to change it. That's the least complicated, most intuitive variant, it it is STILL incredibly easy to build horrifically complicated tangled webs of causality and paradoxes.

>Americans call this fat

You should read farnham's freehold.

>I'll start an apocalypse and wipe out 99% of humanity for muh church
What did gavilar mean by this?

Go to the goodreads forums. Somebody read it there.

That sounds really familiar.

It's better to read it like that anyway, and why not, just don't come here before you've finished to get spoiled.

>From what I understand, [your mother] spent the seven months she was with child entertaining each and every military man she could find, in hopes that something of them would stick to you.

wew when did Brandon get so lewd

>yfw she probably had to take every load in her mouth because it's the only way that works after a womans pregnant.

Her testosterone much have been off the charts too.

>when you go back in an editor and cut something it just stops existing

That analogy is flawed. The thing doing the cutting (you / the editing tool) is not what you are cutting out. What you describe is like someone going to the past and killing someone else.

If you want a programming analogy, here's what I'm coming up with off the top of my head. Lets say you are programming with an interactive language like lisp or python. You save an early environment containing a function which you later use (parent) while implementing a more complex function (child). Later you decide to re-visit that old environment, but you paste your new complex function into that old environment (time travel). While in the old environment, you delete the parent function. Here's the sticking point, if the timetraveled function includes its own dependencies, it still works in the old environment, if dependencies are not included, it tries to reference the parent function that was deleted and no longer works.

My thing is, I don't see how a timetraveled person would have "dependencies". That's something you would need to explain without some nonsense woo-woo about "the string of fate" or "the river of time".

w-what?

1-10 then prequel trilogy

*blocks your path*

About halfway through oathbringer, anybody else have this printing error?
My book goes to page 480, then 413-448, then 513 the next page, missing 480-513 entirely.
Not sure if they got shuffled later into the book or what, but this is a hilarious oversight if this happened more than once

I have a copy of pic related.

What's a good place to quickly upload a 120 mb PDF?