mercy on us all

awesome
I just use these sites instead

newadvent.org/fathers/index.html
earlychristianwritings.com/

>is atheist for ages
>suddenly more christian
if you wait long enough you just become christian by default

That is but a selection. What you're looking for is the Patrologia Cursus Completus, which is almost 400 volumes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrologia_Latina
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrologia_Graeca

christposters are actually existing autism

I vouch for OP. I can't help but draw criticism from it constantly but something in me finds comfort in knowing that man created the Bible to help guide one another into a more tolerably moral lifestyle than warfare and skullduggery of the world they knew

>guide one another into a more tolerably moral lifestyle than warfare and skullduggery of the world they knew
Maybe that'd be true if the OT didn't glorify violence so damn much. Yahweh was a savage god.

You expect God to be some limp-wristed fuccboi?

Sure is, but it is easily put into context if you skim through a synopsis of the Bible in chronological order. In such a case the text reads like the annals of the Jewish people, blaming or attributing divine intervention on every significant event. Foreign invasion repelled? God is great! Foreign invasion successful? God is pissed! King is persuaded to worship God? God has wisened him! King is persuaded to worship gods? God has forsaken him!
And so on. The violence was just a regular thing during those times, as one didn't file a civil suit against his neighbor for boundary disputes, but instead likely instigated his neighbor's murder for the disputed land

>muh OT
every single time.. the book doesn't stop at the old testament. the new testament is a conclusive paradigm shift.

I was specifically addressing his post saying that it was man made to help guide people to better lives. Meta narratives about what people who lived hundreds of years after those Hebrews aside, what the Jews were glorifying definitely wasn't some gift to mankind, it was extremely political and opposed far more people than it ever intended to help.

>implying violence is inherently bad

"Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed; For in the image of God He made man." Gen 9:6 NKJV

> that man created the Bible
the bible is full of prophecy and miracles and sublime teachings that cannot have originated in man alone.

> to help guide one another into a more tolerably moral lifestyle
tolerance of evil is not moral or dignified.

>tfw wanting to read augustine and aquinas for a long time
>tfw stillat plato
I swear guys, 2018 will be the year of nonfic for me

is Dante good?

You want God to be a sissy because otherwise, without other people bearing your burden as they do now, you would be unable to properly live in the world.

World stats disagree.

lol
Only good post in this thread

calm down, he's just saying that your god isn't a god at all but has rather the charateristics of an anthropomorphic superbrute

God makes the world intelligible and grounds morality and meaning.

obviously. from many perspectives

>cultural
the very definition of the hell we know
>historical
lots of reference from people all the way from the greeks to the contemporaries of dante
>prose
beautiful prose. seems holy at times
>beauty
the ascension is wonderful,

essential christfag fiction core

this^
I have the longfellow translation and enjoying it

sincere OC

>skullduggery
This is my Facebook password

if thats really what you expected you are a mongoloid.

rude

It seems like most people you meet today, even people who have not read a single philosophical text will think of you as a loser if you don't selfishly pursue material power and that if your focus is on charity and non-confrontation you are merely a loser deluding himself who has constructed a morality for himself because he is too weak to be active in the world and should therefore be pitied if not shamed. The more cynical ones would even feel content to rob such a man because the robbery itself affirms their own superiority and his own misery. Their own rightness and his own delusion.

What can I read that BTFO's this line of thought?

i'm sorry

does that make most people Nietzscheans?

I think it's the prevailing ideology of today.

Nietzcheanism?

If you want to call it that way.

Nihilism you drooling moron. Holy shit I want youtube and /pol/ to be crucified.

If you actually bothered to read the fucking thing you'd realize God isn't all that "bad" in the OT compared to NT descriptions.
You fucking faggot

>not as bad compared to NT descriptions
what did he mean by this?