This is a loaded question, but can you identify one book that had the most major impact on your life?

This is a loaded question, but can you identify one book that had the most major impact on your life?

Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard

My First ABC

Taught me how to read

>Hesse/Mann
>Tolstoyevsky
>Ebola/Spergler
>Culture of Critique
>
>
There, I saved you some time.

Franny and Zooey is maybe the only book that observably has affected my life.

Ishmael

If novels count, it's The Stranger

>Ishmael
Garbage taste

Either this or The Hobbit for giving me the last push to start writing fiction.

kiddie Russian books
how my babushka taught me to read when I was 3/4 and I was able to learn to read English very easily as a result when I was 4/5

Treasure Island. It was the first novel I read when I was a kid (7 yo) and it just stuck with me for years and years. Stevenson could really make kids excited about reading.

Blod, olje og våpen by Pål Steigan

War & Peace
Brothers K
Unironically Infinite Jest
Against The Day

I read a lot of things that were heavily memed here before they were heavily memed here. There's a reason they're heavily memed here.

The Jungle By Upton Sinclair,
Also Capital Vol. 1 by Karl Marx,
and some Burroughs

Infinite Jest and Siddhartha

I honestly can't. Anime has made more of an impact on my life, though that's largely due to the fact that I watched it at a much younger age.

Five Rings

A Clockwork Orange because it was the first time I actually enjoyed reading on the same level as I enjoyed playing video games. If it wasn't for that book I'd probably just consider literature more like homework than pleasure.

easy. The first novel I ever read. The 50s? disney version of Swiss Family Robinson. Literally 90% of my favorite book tropes can be traced back to that book. It was the first "book" I ever read, and the most important. God knows, I read it enough. I'd read it again tonight, if only I knew where the fuck it was. My most important book, and the one I NEVER know where the hell it is.

Russki books - probably The Adolescent

As far as adulthood goes it's probably Brave New World. Probably cliche, but true.

I can't get use to the writing language :/ wish I could as A clockwork Orange is on my list!

Sophie's World desu, it got me into both philosophy and more serious literature when I was a teen.

>Unironically Infinite Jest
This so much. Back when I was an idiot teen, this book made me realize how I was addicted to videogames and that my friends were all bad influences on me

>It's one of those nice gentle French movies where you have incest which is portrayed as a nice secret between mother and son. I like this.

Truly /ourguy/

When Genesis said Adam and Eve were naked I don't think this is what was meant.

Fiction only? Atlas Shrugged. I would say Thus Spake Zarathustra but that sits more as parable than fiction. While I have always known the utilitarian arguments for the primacy of the individual they seemed insufficient. Christian works on the same topic were always marred, to me, by their reliance on divine warrant.

Eww. You're not welcome here

Why not?

The Autobiography of Malcolm X as well as The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass.
Both are as relevant today as they were in the year they were published.

neither are you, fag

It's a toss up between A Clockwork Orange and Four Quartets. Burgess because I was given a copy when I was 12, and it was really the first book that I ever read that showed me what a book could be. It was my first encounter with real literature, and fiction used for something other than mindless entertainment. It also ignited a lifelong love of Russian language.

Eliot because The Waste Land came to me at a weird time in my life, when I was running with a bad crowd and trying to force myself to be a shithead to stay friends with them. I broke down crying when I first read the last lines of Little Gidding

The I Ching

khayyam's rubaiyat. turned me irreligious at a young age

Steppenwolf kicked my ass into gear so that I don't end up like Harry. I think all young men should read it.

I'm curious, in what way do you feel they are still relevant?

1984 when I was 15 changed my reading habits to be more serious. I used to read Harry potter an Eragon till then, so it seemed like the greatest thing ever written up til then. No bully.

highest order pseud

Probably "A canticle for Leibowitz"
And the Analects of Confucius.
And the Tao te Ching
And "On certainty" by Wittgenstein.

Lolita
no bully

Could you expand on your interpretation of Steppenwolf, because while obviously Henry isn’t any sort of idol to hold up high, I wouldn’t necessary condemn him either. He had its faults that the novel clearly shows but I think certain attributes could be seen as admirable.

>Probably "A canticle for Leibowitz"
good taste user

The King James Bible.

Les Chants de Maldoror

I took it as a cautionary tale. Less so about whether Harry was acting in the right way, and more about avoiding ending up in a situation similar to his in the first place.

I used to be very quiet, shy and passive. Didn't speak my mind a lot and avoided parties, alcohol and relationships like the plague. However, I was not happy and part of me was curious about that sort of thing that typically makes up the a-typical college experience.

reading steppenwolf showed me I was in a similar predicament as Harry, but young enough to change before I got as bad as he was. That isn't to say everything about Harry at the start of the book was wrong, but he was unhappy nonetheless. It just pushed me to be more active, speak up, and not be afraid of trying things that are a little taboo. So that when i find myself in Harry's shoes, at the top of a hill watching a beautiful girl i like walking my way, i'll be brave enough to tell her she's beautiful the first time rather than staying quiet and forever wondering how she would have responded and how it would have changed me.

Me too user, me too

this book made me realize how my toxic masculinity was detrimental to society