Dostoyevsky on Don Quixote:

Dostoyevsky on Don Quixote:

>There is nothing in the world more profound or powerful than this work. This is the ultimate and greatest word that human thought has yet produced, it is the bitter irony expressible by man, and if the world were to end and someone were to ask there, somewhere, 'Well, did you understand your life on earth? What conclusions did you reach about it?' one could silently point to Don Quixote: 'Here is my conclusion about life; can you judge me for it?

Is it that good? I want to start to read it at some point.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LgzXwpePTTU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkuqQ6yq6E
m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTara4qFRWY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>non moving gif
>haven't read don quijote

kill yourself.

He's right.

youtube.com/watch?v=LgzXwpePTTU

If you can't read it in spanish, don't even bother reading shitty english translations.

I have red it two times, one in old Spanish and another one in a translation to modern Spanish.

To be honest the latter wasn't terrible, sure I prefer the original text but the essence prevails in the second one. Probably translations in English have the same thing.

>>There is nothing in the world more profound or powerful than this work. This is the ultimate and greatest word that human thought has yet produced, it is the bitter irony expressible by man, and if the world were to end and someone were to ask there, somewhere, 'Well, did you understand your life on earth? What conclusions did you reach about it?' one could silently point to Don Quixote: 'Here is my conclusion about life; can you judge me for it?
Did Dostoevsky read it in Spanish?

Well, we know for sure he knew french and german, it's likely he also knew spanish, but if he didn't, he still had access to the french translation which would be much closer to the original than the english, german or russian one.

Fine, you have conviced me to read Don Quijote.

He learned Spanish specifically to read Don Quixote

I've read don Quixote almost twice plus some rereads of various parts, but i still don't get it

I just started today. About 40 pages in and it's a lot of fun so far.

Maybe it's not your book.
Maybe it's a bad translation.

What about a Norwegian translation?

I advise everyone on this thread that is reading or plan to reads Don Quixote to not read it superficially. Look for the deeper meaning behind the text and don't get blinded by the comedy, because that is what makes this work a masterpiece.

It was hard, I enjoyed parts of it. I didn't get the massive hype for it after. Although I didn't massively get the hype behind Gatsby, Note from the Underground or any Kafka.

Meanwhile I was fully in awe of IF and Lolita. Must just be preference.

IJ even, I shouldn't phonepost.

What is 'IF'?

InFinite jest

First part of Don Quixote is half-excellent comedy half-filler

Second part is pure perfection

Your dick is fucking small.

It is an underdeveloped log of shit with ideas that are trite for the modern reader

leave the art of the novel to later writers

He's totally right.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkuqQ6yq6E

The ending was great but I couldn't found it. So

m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTara4qFRWY

Go back to your sweet sleep Nabokov; for our time you were a good writer but in the great saga of Literature, still a minor one. It takes a certain width and density of heart to appreciate both Dosto and Cervantes whom you dislike equally as viciously.

Cervantes is a friend for all lovers of Mankind.

As for you, dear readers, I will absolutely invite you to read Don Quixote but with a good introduction, even some guidance. If you have neither, read only the first 3 chapters of Book I and the entirety of Book II, for you'll have little patience for the in-story stories Cervantes place (and which in my own opinion can be a bit too self-indulging on the part of the author). It is a masterwork and it will live forever in the hearts of Man.

Sinceramente,

Jorge Luis Borges

why is there an unrelated novella about c*cking halfway through don quixote

>don't look at what the words actually say, second guess the intent and invent your own meanings to artificially increase the number of time you devote to the book

My Dosto plus Borges beats your Nabokov.

Sorry, kid.

>in-story stories
why would you skip the best parts

>number of time
Way to tank your own argument by outing yourself as a retard

Are you guys genuinely retarded? Nabokov liked DQ
>Inb4 crude and cruel old book
That doesn't mean he didn't like it, dumbass.

Nabokov is fucking garbage. Couldn't even finish Lolita, it was such trite self-obsessed nonsense.

What about the Quijote Apocrypha

The hype is real. It's an excellent book.

Make no mistake, there won't be any sudden, life-changing, secrets-of-the-universe moments sprinkled throughout. However, it really is greater than the sum of its parts, and it's critical that you don't just blaze through it, but instead immerse yourself in it and let it steep in your mind. It's a story that keeps on giving.

Literature in its original language is objectively the best option, but having read some of the same passages side by side, Edith Grossman's translation really carries the spirit of the original work.

But, and this is important, is Grossman, (and I ask this with consternation), ummm...is she *whispers* a Jew?

Good lord, what a useless pseud comment. It's like something off a dust jacket.

POWERFUL AND PROFOUND

>, it's likely he also knew spanish

No it isn't, where the fuck did you get this idea

I only know about Don Quixote because of Wishbone... should I buy a copy? What is the best translation to modern english?

>leave the art of the novel

missing an "f"

>calling Dostoevsky a pseud

you must be brilliant

Not that I know of. Read with impunity, friend.

Her parents were jews, so yeah, she's jewish.

t-the what

no, don't read it. but if you happen to try de Cervante's translation

The unofficial sequel I guess.

I would agree with Dostoevsky, Don Quixote really does offer insight into human intentions, achievement, failure and motivation. It's immensely cheeky and funny but also very tragic. I'm biased, I call it my favourite book I've read so far, but I think if you read it, OP, you'll likely enjoy it too.

Just a little head's up: some people don't like how the book meanders - Don Quixote has long tangents about doing the right thing, rationalising his oddball antics, etc, or the long backstories of some minor characters who won't appear again outside of the first third of the novel - but if you embrace it, there's a lot of interesting insight on offer there too. I personally never felt the pacing plodded along.

What are you even doing in the literature board. Go back to the genre fiction or any other brainlet containment thread

>he can't comprehend that time can be divided into quantities
A retard is you, unfortunately

What if the translator is more skilled with prose and writing than the original author?