Have anyone read it? Any thoughts?

Have anyone read it? Any thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

samharris.org/podcast/item/is-buddhism-true
youtu.be/nG5FqQKrrHI
davidhume.org/texts/ehu.php#E10
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

samharris.org/podcast/item/is-buddhism-true

Is it another meditation helps reduce stress therefore multiple realms of existence, hungry ghosts and sex magic is real ?

Buddhism is to psychology was alchemy is to chemistry, except psychology has no surpassed the efficacy of Buddhist praxis, and at most has simply verified some of its claims.

Redpill me on the retarded parts of Buddhism, particularly the mythology/cosmology. Seems like every religion has stuff that's canon but everyone is vaguely embarrassed of and nobody wants to mention it when presenting the religion to outsiders.

First of all it kept a lot of Hindu metaphysics except it rejected the concept of Atman. Also, it maintained major parts of the Hindu pantheon, as well as picking up tons of local deities along the way wherever it spread. However, pagan religions are generally more flexible than Abrahamic religions with respect to the degree of individual belief. Greek paganism (another Indo-European religion) is another good example, where "believers" still wrote tomes critiquing the nature of the various metaphysical concepts of the gods, and in many cases acknowledge them as mere abstractions, but recognizing their literary and philosophical "truth". You can be a practicing Hindu for instance, and not be a metaphysical absolutist, or a literalist. The same is obviously true with Buddhism, and not believing in those things is not ONLY the purview of wishy-washy western swipl Buddhists. If you found a random Buddhist monk, there's a good chance you would get nuanced and hedged statements about the gods, and other fantastical parts of Buddhism.

The dichotomy between 'believer' and 'infidel' is pretty unique to Abrahamism. It's important to remember that Buddhism comes from the Hindu pagan tradition, and the concept of faith and belief is different than the Christian, Jewish, or Muslim one.

>book about buddhism
>author has a whitebread name

Let me guess. His idea of Buddhism is atheism combined with American Democratic party liberalism and vague New Age horseshit involving a Tibetan gongs. Hard pass.

I don't understand how can anyone doubt the veracity of buddhism after watching this video: youtu.be/nG5FqQKrrHI

If buddhism is false, then how could the boy survive after months meditating below a tree without water and food? How can science explain something like that? To me this boy and this video just proves buddhism is the one true religion.

Low quality bait

How is this bait if the video is right there with all the information about the boy I cited?

You know you have to be above 18 to post here, right?

I actually went through his online course about buddhism and modern psychology on Coursera. Pretty rad and idiot-proof. Free, if you don't want the certificate why would you want a fucking cert lmao .

>how could the boy survive after months meditating below a tree without water and food?
He didn't.

The documentary is there with all they've filmed him and looked for any inconsistencies the whole time. Do you think they'd even bother making a documentary about it if it wasn't true?

That "boy" is a proven: liar, scammer, cultist, and criminal. Do your research, documentaries are not valid sources, they're scripted spectacle. No different to reality TV shows. This is likely bait, or you're genuinely a vapid retard who shouldn't be on the internet. He probably has never gone a day without food and water, in his whole life.

just read this
davidhume.org/texts/ehu.php#E10

Buddhism like every other organized religion is "we have a piece of the truth, we understand some of it but pretend we know the whole". On the other hand Buddha was right. When human consciousness becomes still, one can understand the illusion of someone being in control. There is no controller, only one entity being aware or unaware of itself. The universe is playing an eternal game of hide and seek. When the whole universe is aware of itself there is peace-blank-nothing-emptiness, now we are in the stage of the hiding. The art and the artist are not separate.

Psychology has definitely surpassed Buddhism, in that as well as offering sedating effects for dealing with how bad the world is, psychology can also offer techniques for actually changing behaviour and environment constructively. The whole point of psychology is not just to numb you out like Buddhism does.

no no no all wrong, there is no self at all

Who said anything about a self? Or are you implying there is no thing at all? No universe?

>Buddhism
>religion
nice one bud

>reading Buddhist doctrine
>it starts saying something about beings created from God's armpit
Binned it

i hope buddhism is real so i can reincarnate as something nice after my shit life

Buddha's teaching and 400 years later it was oral, verbal. After that, yes it became like the rest of shitty religions. Truth is not static that can be written and passed around to ignorants.

>Redpill me
NGMI