Atheist Literature Thread

Is there any literature out there for athesits? Obviously, the New Atheists are great for that, but I was wondering something a little older. I heard Nietzsche is great too, so might check him out. Anyone know where to start with him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2LehsA1dk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

graphic novels, comic books, sam harris

all literature is for atheists
religious people tend to restrict their reading matter (or have it restricted for them by religious authorities). atheists face no such restrictions

Nietzsche, Spinoza, Hegel

>Spinoza, Hegel
>Atheist

The Holy Bible.

fpbp

Charles Bradlaugh

yeah man im a atheist two, its hard being smarter than everyone but u get used two it, u should read netchze hes really into u u know..and have you heard about audio books? you can read while playing vidya XD enjoy!

Atheist here. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Contact by Carl Sagan, and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson are some of my favourites.

Banana

>Contact
top zozzle, Contact is an argument for God's existence you simple cooze

Psst. user. Everyone itt is memeing. Get with the program you’re making us look bad

Yeah, Spinoza is...well he's....
His Ethics is a fucking paradox man.
While certainly not atheist it does refute a large amount of theistic arguments and lays the groundwork for pantheism which is almost synonymous with atheism depending on your perspective.

You did make me reply.

nobody says this. atheists are not really smarter than people with faith. people with faith only feel threatend every time the subject comes up because deep down they know its mythical horseshit. but just because its horseshit doesnt mean that atheists are any better or worse than anyone else.

Imagine being so threatened that someone excused themselves from a certain mystical belief system that you sperg out like this. Like an alcoholic father going on a rage against his son applying to colleges.

This is a club at my university. We're in Australia, a secular society. They feel the need to show how INTJ science Rick Sanchez they are all the time.

>This thread is making fun of TJ and the New Atheists whose entire being is centred around showing how INTelliJent they are and can't deal with others having a belief system
>OH YOU CAN'T DEAL WITH PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE THE SAME THING AS YOU?!?!?

I agree I think that both sides can be obnoxious. Pound for pound though I would think it harder for an atheist to be more obnoxious though just based on the fact that theists have the greater burden of proof.

these are just cosmopolitan atheists who are in fact as much in doubt of what life is as the theits they pick on. you shouldnt give a fuck about them. they are scum. they actively reject religion to a point where its dogmatic in nature.

The fuck is a cosmopolitan atheist?

If you want to get into Nietzsche Thus Spoke Zarathustra is probably the book for you if you're wanting something specifically because you are an atheist, feel free to insert your own ideology into the text; that definitely won't lead to any misunderstandings.

the one in ops pic realted. AA is a typical cosmopolitan atheist. his whole existence revolves around NOt believeing in somthing. thats like writing a character in a book and you
only develop the character in terms of what he isnt. people both theists and atheists should just stfu and not shove their shitty opinion in the other peoples face. especially how these "debates" lead absolutely nowhere. your not interested in what the other has to say your only there in the debate to push your own agenda. you might as well throw eachother with dog feces and go home afterwards feeling victorious. its inane

Okay...
I'm not sure how that ties into being cosmopolitan, in fact I'm fairly certain you just made that up.

As for the rest of your post, well wow.. I think Hitch summed it up for himself at least very well:

youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2LehsA1dk

An inability to recognize the products of personal agency is a symptom of autism.

Holy fuck m8. Start with the greeks.

lol i'm not even religious, i was talking about the fedora atheist mentality where they think they're smart for parroting atheist talking points to insult religious people. It is meaningless virtue signalling for children on the internet to pretend to engage in intellectual discourse, the only real things they are saying are simply regurgitated garbage that they heard from their favourite youtube atheist celeb, maybe you're upset because you are in this category.

Kys please

Well, the image is true. Religion is fucking absurd and it's crazy how people can consider it to be true (as in having actually happened). Smart people can hold dumb beliefs so an atheist isn't necessarily smarter than a christian, but on average he's probably more likely to be since non-religiosity is correlated with a higher IQ. None of what I'm saying so far should be controversial, I'm sure you'd accept that belief in a flat earth correlates with lower IQ too or any other wacky, unsubstantiated belief.

Americans are particularly bad when it comes to this, 4 in 10 believe the earth was created by God 10000 years ago. Basically akin to 4 in 10 being flat earthers. 57% believe in ghosts.

How do I not look at these beliefs and think to myself "god damn that's retarded"? Tell me. And I'm not trying to be antagonistic I just can't wrap my head around this. Like how the fuck do you go through life believing this is true? Do you not ever stop to investigate your beliefs at some point?

This thread is pure cancer. Serioiusly. All Americans should be banned from Veeky Forums.

Logic and Theism by Sobel.
Great book on atheist takes on arguments for the existence of god.
I've been recommending this book since lit first was created but I think nobody has actually read it.

>Like how the fuck do you go through life believing this is true?
It's quite easy. For example, I don't find the argument from the resurrection of jesus a convincing argument for chistianity. Why? Because I'm an atheist and a naturalist, I don't think people can be resurrected, which means anything but extremely high standard of evidence of his resurrection can prove to me that he did.
However, let's say I became convinced of the existence of God. Let's say I read again some thomistic explanation of the first way and I go "goddamn it, this is true". Well, now I believe in God, which means lots of things that couldn't previously happen in my worldview, now can happen pretty easily. Maybe not often but still, they're possible. So, now, the argument from the resurrection of Jesus becomes quite convincing, because my main problem with it has vanished, since there is now a way in which Jesus could have risen from the dead.
Do you get what I mean.

Anything by Max Stirner

>religion is absurd

If you want to argue against the best arguments for the existence of God, fine. If you want to argue against the evidence for Christ's resurrection, fine. But to assert that religion - well, at least Catholicism - is absurd, is, well, absurd. Have you literally never read a word about theology? There are good arguments but arguing that religion itself is absurd is not one of them - anyone who says so is a brainlet New Atheist

Fellow atheist checking in; I can’t speak as to the veracity of those philosophers, however I find my self quite partial to Sir Sir Karl Popper and Lord Bertrand Russel.

inb4 “fedora”. I find my “spirituality”, if you will, in the works of the stoics, such as the writings of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, as well as in certain aspects of Buddhism; such as I am a regular practitioner of mindfulness meditation. In these I find quite a greater peace than any sky wizard.

Oh, I should believe in god you say? Well, quite frankly, sir, I should ask which one!

Do you mean specifically atheist philosophy?

Atheist or not, if you're that interested in philosophy, or religion, even as an atheist, you really can't go wrong reading the Bible.

Pantheism is quite the opposite of atheism. Pan- and a- have meanings. Though Panentheism still triumphs over pantheism in my opinion.

Guys, we're over at /r/atheism.

What is there to write about?
>Where are my books about the bald hairstyle?
>Where are my books about denying Leprechauns and Unicorns?