195 countries

My objective for 2018 is to ready 195 books, one from each country in the world. I would like each book to be the equivalent of what Kokoro is to Japan or Ulysses is to Ireland. So a commercially successful, culture influencing classic. If you would like to recommend THE emblematic novel of nationality from your country, feel free and I will add it.

I hope to develop a chart out of this that other anons may find useful to become more /int/.

Other urls found in this thread:

ayearofreadingtheworld.com/thelist/
bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Abecedarian
librarything.com/groups/readinggloballyficti
ascleiden.nl/content/webdossiers/africas-100-best-books-20th-century#Top twelve list
youtube.com/watch?v=2HtOFUF7SCQ&t=44s
open.spotify.com/track/4nTeP54m4lXjx9mkjIGRZd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

die teen

Fuck off globalist shill. You shouldn't read works from nonwhites.

Journey by Moonlight by Antal Szerb (Hungary)

Noli Me Tangere

united kingdom: harry potter and the philosopher's stone
united states: harry potter and the sorcerer's stone

>Journey by Moonlight by Antal Szerb
Both of these sound fantastic. I would be curious to hear your reasons for their recommendation - Google can give me basic results but I'm more interested in your own thoughts.

Journey by Moonlight actually sounds like exactly my kind of story. Surprised I haven't encountered it before.

For everyone else who's anti-globalist: maybe you wouldn't be such ignorant brainlets if you read someone who wasn't American or British every once in a while.

>one from each country in the world
>implying Africa and Oceania even have books to offer

You honestly have to be kidding yourself.
Try cutting that # down to 50 and try again.

>he thinks there are 195 countries

fucking disgusting that he wants to read inferior APES from Africa

Where did you get that number?

I don't have anything against Africans or Africa in general but if you think the Sudan or Mali can offer literature even remotely comparable to Asia and Europe you're insane.

If you've discovered 20 African Shakespears please let me know, though.

Shakespeare was African, so ummmm try again sweetie pie :)

Sure he could shake it, but could he chuck it?

I was agreeing with you, retard. I'd never read inferiors. What have they ever produced except rape and flinging shit? They are in all ways subhuman

Here, other people have done the work for you already.

ayearofreadingtheworld.com/thelist/
bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Abecedarian
librarything.com/groups/readinggloballyficti
ascleiden.nl/content/webdossiers/africas-100-best-books-20th-century#Top twelve list

>shouldn't read
a racist soyboy is anti-intellectual

who knew

You just got me to read Kokoro and it fucking sucks. Thanks

Doña Barbara by Rómulo Gallegos

Venezuela.

Hey guys, OP here. First of all you need to chill out! Life is a lot more fun when you're not allowing yourself to be filled with irrational hatred. Secondly I am adding to this list a recommendation from Holland.

very good post 9.3/10

Pedro Páramo, by Juan Rulfo (México)

Distant Star by Roberto Bolaño (Chile)

>Sudan
Season of Migration to the North

I don't know about Mali, but yeah OP is screwed. Nigeria, Kenya, Egypt, and South Africa are the main producers of literary works in Africa. Good luck finding a Djibouti or Cameroon novel.

The Turner Diaries (America)

The Culture of Critique (((Israel)))

North Korea: The Communist Manifesto

Mali:
The Strange Destiny of Wangrin - Amadou Hampate Ba

Djibouti:
In the United States of Africa - Abdourahman A. Waberi

Cameroon:
The Poor Christ of Bomba - Mongo Beti

You know anti-globalism is about keeping the world culturally diverse and rich right? Globalism is about taking every culture in the world and congealing it into one large boring corporate mess of """diversity""""

The Unbearable Lightness of Being: Czechoslovakia

Life: A User's Manual: France

suck my dick you goddamn shill idiot

I would put Too Loud a Solitude over Lightness

It's the Netherlands you burger cuck

Norway: Knut Hamsun - Hunger

Why bother reading good works of literature if you're only going to give them less than 2 days of your effort?

War and Peace or Anna Karenina for Russia? Shakespeare or something more recent for UK?

It'll also be hard to find translations, and not every nation has such a strong sense of national identity and cultural heritage. Might be better off focusing on regions first

Looking for some comfy Gothic short stories from Tuvalu. Any charts out there? Thx.

The Brothers Lionheart; for Sweden. Should also listen to this pure beauty beforehand.
youtube.com/watch?v=2HtOFUF7SCQ&t=44s
One of the greatest pieces of music ever formed.

the UK should really be split between Wales, Scotland, and England which have quite different literary traditions

Quality's a bit off.
If you have spotify
open.spotify.com/track/4nTeP54m4lXjx9mkjIGRZd

>Russia
The Brothers Karamazov.

>My objective for 2018 is to ready 195 books, one from each country in the world. I would like each book to be the equivalent of what Kokoro is to Japan or Ulysses is to Ireland.

Why does it have to be done in a year? do you realise at this rate you would need to read almost 4 books a week. Now this might just be doable if you were reading crappy short stories or pulp novels but you want to read the best each country has to offer.

How do you expect to do anything but speedread them?

But if you want the Ulysses of Sweden then you're looking for anything by August Strindberg. Specifically The Red Room.

Or maybe Frans G. Bengtsson: The Long Ships

Australia.

bless you

idk man, not really a book that encapsulates Norwegian culture or traditional life. Hamsun's "growth of the soil" could perhaps encapsulate it better.

or go with one of the four Norwegian greats, Ibsen, Bjornson, Kielland or Lie. The collected fairy tales by Bjornson does for Norwegian folklore what the brothers Grimm does for Germanic folklore I suppose.

Mishima and Dazai are way better writers than Natsume. Or maybe I'm just not weeb enough to see the appeal.

>ayearofreadingtheworld.com/thelist/
>chooses Mandarin as Eça's book
>chooses The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis
>nothing by Lobo Antunes
Fucking pleb!

>Czechoslovakia
Also if you want an actual czech writer instead of a French citizen - The Good Soldier Švejk by Hašek

I can´t believe noone from sweden said the emigrant tetralogy by vilhelm moberg wich is often counted as swedens only national epic. It got voted the most important swedish book of all time for crying out loud!

But not NI

good luck looking for books from niggers countries

Peer Gynt or Brand by Ibsen might also be what he is looking for if not growth of the soil. Also if you are looking for a parallel to the Grimm brothers, Asbjornsen and Moe had the best folktale collection.

OP here, some great recommendations, keep them coming!

Finland: Kalevala

ive got a few suggestions for you but first why all those books in one year?

The one year element was purely arbitrary with the intention of heightening the sense of urgency associated with thecreading of the books. I think it would be cool to have definitive list made up of one important book from each country (as arbitrary as it may be) and I think it is a shame Veeky Forums does not have a flowchart for such a purpose.

Personally I have been reading far too many American, British and French writers and wish to expand my taste.

Nothing particularly compelling but a worthwhile endeavour nonetheless. I don't expect anyone could actually read 195 books in a year, it's more like the challenge of 195 books and see how many you can get through in a year.

So its more of a checklist/number thing than trying to understand the texts/country?

>Personally I have been reading far too many American, British and French writers and wish to expand my taste.

I think the bigger issue is not the ethnicity but the time period.

>think it is a shame Veeky Forums does not have a flowchart for such a purpose.
they do to a large extent

Germany: Germany. A Winter's Tale

Hunger is the Kokoro/Ulysses of Norway desu.

Slovenija: Alamut

>You know

At this stage you had assumed too much of him

Didn't know this was a book. loved the movie.

For Croatia, Ranko Marinković - Cyclops
It's pretty much our Ulysses, yeah. But it's 500 pages long, so if you want something shorter, I highly recommend Krleža's Return of Filip Latinovicz. It's shorter (and guaranteed to be better if you're a bit of an edgelord down inside).
For Bosnia and Herzegovina you should probably read some Andrić or Selimović.

If you want to get through all of these books in a year I'd be shying away from the likes of Ulysses anyway.

There are plenty of other decent Irish novels you could read instead. Even Portrait would make more sense and is still spectacular. At Swim Two Birds is great as well and is very Irish.

No, you misunderstand me, it is all about trying to get a text that best exemplifies that particular country. Like when you think Russia, you think War and Peace, America, Moby Dick etc. Of course I'm not saying they have to be long encyclopaedic novels but there seems to be a trend, empirically speaking.

perfect

For Mexico read Pedro Páramo. Now if you wanna read something that no common person in the english language has read, then pick related.

Italy
>Cantos by Leopardi
>The Leopard
>Decameron
>Divine comedy
Choose one of these. Personally I love Leopardi.

>wants to read a major work of literature from every country in the world every two days
your expectations are horribly unrealistic