Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

/sffg/ Discord: discord.gg/YsGNNp

Previous Threads

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pUMaiYQw_kg&list=PLFD79BF2D4A257CB0&index=3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Haven't read any SFF in a while, but I'm starting Book of the Long Sun today. God-tier cover art, if nothing else.

Can anyone recommend something ultra-political/dramatic? Where tea ceremonies and formal dinners are more nerve wracking and intense than battles, and etiquette and aesthetic determine life and death. Real hardcore court intrigue.

The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham

Would y'all read a book that started with a reborn main character paying a whore to let him breastfeed from her?

Asking for a friend.

How is The Black Company, /sffg/?
I've read some reviews and it sounds like something I'd enjoy but most of the reviews are pretty vague.
I don't mind edgy as long as it has cool characters and/or an interesting setting. Does it have either?

Is the ass fat?

>tfw no kind old man to give me a drink of water and talk about religion with
why live lads?

Under Heaven

Sorta, the ass is firm. I'm ignoring the common rules of recent pregnancy like the darkened nipples for sexist story telling purposes.

>tfw writing on your phone gives you a shithouse idea of page formatting.

pastebin.com/DJBJ3Fr9

>/sffg/ Discord
Where did this reddit cunt come from? Veeky Forums doesn't use discord.

>cuck who wasn't breastfed as a baby is back to tout his fetish again

I enjoyed it. It's the foundation for dark fantasy.
GRI APPROVED. If you don't like dark fantasy, and unironically use the word edgy, then stay away feom black company, Malazan, and night angel trilogy.

How edgy are we talking here, I just dropped black prism during that fucking lazer boat scene and need something else to pick up.

You might be thinking of someone else,this is just edgy shock fan service I'm using as a hook to start the story.

The breastfeeding has a purpose beyond fetish fuel however.

>yfw reality was worse than your expectations

If there was one fictional character/god I could have a chat with about religion, I'd want to have a chat and a photo with PKD's Palmer Eldritch. If I couldn't have a chat with Eldritch, I'd opt for a chat and a photo with Bridger - the super cute little kid from TLtL.

Odium seems to be the kind of character who is fundamentally deceitful - he was pretty nice with Dalinar but you can tell that he's up to the neck in scheming with Taravangian and Taravangian is a terrible person to be around given how often he keeps draining people's blood to get his shitty propherices. And I'd rather be on a happier planet having a chat then someone's magical slave on a planet where hell is literally and figuratively real and gets constantly stomped by the apocalypse, retard tier wars where everyone dies for no reason, a personalised hell where the top tier magic users get tortured and tortured again and locals who are enslaved and then start turning into demons- Roshar seems like a terrible place to live.

Szeth is also boring as a fuck, you can't get a straight talk with Hoid, so I'd rather have a conversation with Nightblood or Vasher.

*Szeth
I mean Sazed.
And Honour sounds boring as a fuck as well. And Cultivation sounds not that great.

Leras was a bro though. I'd go on adventures through shadesmar with him.

Leras is great.

>I just dropped black prism during that fucking lazer boat scene and need something else to pick up.
Don't bother with Malazan, night angel trilogy, nor black company then.
Try shades of grey or the library at mount char and see if you want to drop those too.

Black Company is super edgy. Like the other user said, try Shades of Grey.

I'm actually okay with edgy, it's just the lazer boat scene was way too goofy for me.
Of all the ways to create propulsion with light and magic, then to use it trying to impress a middle aged woman, jesus.

>You might be thinking of someone else
Some aspiring author has been dropping hints about opening his never-gon-be-published-book with a breastfeeding scene, and that "it serves a purpose. You aren't that same user?

It's somewhat archaic when it comes to fantasy.

Oh no, that was me.

The meme did not start with me however.

That is a beautiful cover.

I've only read New Sun. Is Long and Short also worth reading? What, without spoilers, do they deal with?

You'd think that odium would want to go by an emotion name like the other gods to blend in and sound less ominous. Then again he gives no fucks

>you can't be propelled with light that has mass
>people don't show off in front of people they like
>a guy who carried a flame for a girl for years can't still want her when a chance opened up
>36 is middle age
I see as the user said, your mom withholding the breast and giving you formula has seriously damaged you cognitive development. You are autisticly retarded user. Why do you even read fantasy is a boat made out of light breaks immersion for you?
Go to outer lit and read about raping lolis/shotas / religion hidden with allegory. Fantasy isn't for you.

If that boat scene made you drop black prism, then I already see you dropping shades of grey.

>Why do you even read fantasy is a boat made out of light breaks immersion for you?

I didn't say it broke immersion, it's just goofy as fuck.
I would have rather just had pure hand-wavium at that point, the green lantern makes shit from light all the time without it just looking stupid.

I'm sorry I triggered your old ass so hard, user.

>I'm a dinosaur because I don't see your stupidity

>didn't pick up Hobb's books because the names are so pants shittingly generic
>pick up the first assassin's book
>novel is comfy as fuck
And I say this as someone who posts the brainlet image in response to dumb comfy posters. It's a little predictable, but Im really enjoying it.

>tfw it's the next book on my list
That's neat.

If I remember that series correctly, get ready to be totally done with the MC by the second book. There's only one interesting character/plotline and it doesn't get nearly enough time. The God Emperor leading the skeleton monster army

>Spoiler
You're thinking of something else entirely.

Long Sun is meh, Short Sun is excellent (some say better than BotNS, I disagree). Long Sun is about (minor spoiler but a lot of people apparently didn't figure it out back in the day) the inhabitants of a generation ship launched from Urth in the time of Typhon from BotNS. Short Sun is about what happens when they finally reach their destination.

So for the full experience you should read Long before Short Sun?

can /sffg/ recommend some well written fantasy?

I picked up GOTM as I've heard so much praise for the Malazan series and how nothing else compares in terms of grand scope, but I'm pretty disappointed so far. I'm getting the feeling it might end up being an incredibly large paddling pool, instead of actually having any depth.

I'm waiting for something interesting to crop up, but so far all I've encountered are plenty of cringeworthy names, and juvenile, generic fantasy wish fulfillment tropes, like the edgy assassin's guild, the weathered elite soldiers who've "seen shit, man" despite nothing horrific actually happening on paper so far, and the lord of darkness with long white hair and a two-handed sword on his back who is intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humour.

I basically feel like I'm reading novels for a pretty generic fantasy role-playing game. Of course I wouldn't mind that so much if the prose was good, but it's quite poor.

Try the Farseer trilogy. It's a lot more low key in its Fantasy elements that Malazan, and the scope is much smaller, taking place almost entirely in a very small rural kingdom.

Book of the New Sun, Lyonesse or Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

t. Malazan is shit

Potato potato. I swear there's fucking fifty of those books with almost the exact same titles and covers. A few of them even have the same plots!

You're a dinosaur because of how hard a thirty-six year old woman being called middle age hit you.
Also because you think accusations of stupidity are relevant when we're discussing the white lantern being crap at hard light crafting (read: the author just lacks creativity).

Russian version of Best Served Cold.

Amazing covers as always.

It's weird how much cheap high skilled digital artist labor is available in china and russia yet covers in modern fantasy are digital photo manipulation crap in the west.

SADEAS IS SCUM

I think it has mostly to do with Publishers. Look at localized Jap media like Spice and Wolf. They got these horrible westernized covers for the first few volumes. It took like 3 volumes for the complaints about them to finally convince the publisher to put their horrid shit on dustcovers and leave the original covers underneath.

Long sun is overpacked with Christianity parallels.

The Parshendi did nothing wrong

Sadeas did nothing wrong

Too Like the Lightning

>They got these horrible westernized covers for the first few volumes.

Just looked them up. What the fuck were they thinking?

It's obvious Malazan Isn't for you. You don't deserve to meme with us. If you call names juvenile, and an assassin guild edgy (the cia is an assasin's guild if you didn't know, those shit were used for centuries, but you being better than everyone else, we must take your refined tastes into consideration), it's plain you lack the fortitude and resolve to invest in an epic fantasy. Go read lotr or redwall.

>yet covers in modern fantasy are digital photo manipulation crap in the west.
They do it in the east too, only they try to imitate renaissance styled art, instead of hyper-realism.

Dear no-ntr user, I can't wait for you to reach book 9 when someone discusses cheating on her boyfriend to get some advantage.

>M'Laseen

the Virgin Bridger
>doth steal the amenities of the Saneer-Weeksbooth Bash
>accompanies such dangerous lowlifes as Mycroft Canner
>lives only at the whim of the witch Thisbe
>hath destroyed himself to bring forth Achilles
>participates not in the grand game of gender

the Chad JEDD MASON
>His Name spelled in all caps, always
>JEDD MASON speaks eight languages fluently
>master of Enlightenment philosophy from the age of seven
>has attracted various plentiful worshipers who see Him as divine
>He thought to see the Unbound Man, and saw him not

>tfw no self-illustrating author

It is an emotional word, user.

I would desu

I did not read the spoilers, but youre probably talking about egwene, she's a bitch and deserve to die.
rand should fucking kill her

I wish i had you people's strength of will to avoid spoilers.
I'm still on book 6 and i got spoiled on pretty much fucking everything.

Don't make the same mistakes i made user.

it's hard user, very hard.
but this series is one in a million and i dont want to spoil(badumtss) my experience.
Also i read the book 4 hours or more per day so i pretty much dont have time to be spoiled

>implying I'm fat
>or Americlap

>fat
>american
Redundant

Why haven't hollywood shat all over this yet?

Can someone explain why the fuck does egwene forgets rand so quickly when she sees galad?
i hope she'd have been sent to where the descendents of hawk live so that she would be damane forever
bitch

What's least accessible fantasy novel out there?

because she's awful
Min is best girl

oh boy
OH BOY
i agree completely

Galad is literally the most beautiful person in the world and while Egwene adapt fast and become more worldly Rand in many ways remain a peasant, in total contrast to Galad. There's also the constant pressure on Rand from The Dark One and his minions making him behave like a fucking nut job. Anyway, Gawyn is best Trakand.

Gawyn is one of the absolute worst people in all of fiction. The one thing he is perfect at is making sure that harpy Egwene doesn't ruin the life of someone worthwhile with her attention.

>Giving up halfway through gardens

Its like giving up in the first five pages of other books. Finish book two before you call it to give it a fair shake. Book one is waaaaaaay different than the rest of them. Started as a movie script, then a DND game framework, then a book.

Also shit hits the fan about 3/4 through gardens

>Its like giving up in the first five pages of other books
>implying this is not fully acceptable if the book is shit

Skip it and read book two then

Your puddle analogy almost works, but...

He traces a puddle the size of an ocean in book one, then you dive in in the rest of the series. It's truly one of, if not the (imo), best fantasy series published.

>Gawyn is one of the absolute worst people in all of fiction
Literally why? His flaws and doubts make him a quite relatable character and, by the series standards, well written character but he overcome his problems in realistic and satisfying ways ending in his bittersweet defeat against Demandred.

I'm not the same user, I have not read any Malazan so I won't criticize it but I really dislike the idea that you should read at least a couple of books before you dismiss an epic fantasy series.

Normally I'd agree with you, but Malazan is kind of the exception, because of how weird gardens is. Personally loved it, but it really is that much different. May as well have been a different author.

>Satisfying and realistic
>Train of people suiciding trying to kill demandred

I guess it makes sense for gawyn, but goddamn was it irritating to see it happen three times.

Speaking of, why is Esslemont so trash compared to Erikson?

It's a little cheesy but so is the whole series. But it would honestly have been enough with Gawyn and Lan, the Light simply had to many skilled swordsmen for Sanderson to handle, with each of them demanding a "cool" ending. The whole battle, at least at the Field of Merrilor was quite a shitfest that could and should have been better written. Egwenes ending was such a disappointment.

fuck you
i hate jordan for making us think egwene would be rand bitch and then just cuck us

>GRI APPROVED

No fuck you.

Three reasons come to mind:
1. Too many settings. Sets and CGI costs money, especially if the elements aren't reused.
2. Common plot. Revenge is a classic hook but combined with the uncertainties of an obscure author and the high costs of a proper scifi flick, that's a boat anchor looking for a neck.
3. Why not just do another capeshit movie? These normies just lap that pap up.

Should I read the Wheel of Time series in preparation for the show or should I read Mortal Engines before Peter Jackson's movie comes out?

i wish jordan made a what if where rand fuckin bolts galad out of existence
also
>hey this redhead i love since i was a child is amazing i love him and will marry him
>wew who is this dude, HE IS HOT AFF I HAVE TO FUCKING KEK THE GUY I SUPOSETELY LOVED HEHE I AM A FUCKING WHORE
her song
youtube.com/watch?v=pUMaiYQw_kg&list=PLFD79BF2D4A257CB0&index=3

>the show
no
it will be shit as always

If you like never ending epic fantasy series, sure. It's certainly not without problems (author swap, being to vast for its own best and spanking being one of Jordans major influences to mention a few) but among the epics I've read it's probably the best one.

GAY
RAPE
INCEST

>tfw Jordan will never write a 400 000 page book about how Berelain corrupt Galad in her sex dungeons

Galad's beauty is like a superpower user.
Not even Nynaeve can ignore it, or even best girl Min. The only straight woman immune to it is Elayne.
He's like a male Lanfear, if not more.

the others find him handsome as fuck
but they dont go
>i shoudlnt do it but it feels so warm
Seriously, she is worst girl.

Half-mad Rand is best Rand though

>sci-fi books that pretend blacks or mestizo's are equally intelligent to whites

so disgusting

There's a reason why its science FICTION, user. It's nothing more than a FANTASY.

/v/ here, how does this make you all feel?

>Black Mermaid-Squid loli thing
What

I don't understand.

splatoon has the deepest lore

it make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Its portrayal of romantic relationships is extremely anime. The Lady is a moeblob straight out of K-ON.

Wheel of Time is a trilogy with some good elements and some elements that make you want to claw your eyes out (almost every single woman in the books is the most obnoxious and despicable characters in all of fiction) stretched out to 12 books. I just merely the middle 6 or so, skipped entire chapters that focussed on insufferable cunts, didn't miss anything and was still annoyed by how much pointless padding and bullshit there was. It's not even world building, it's just inane bitching and walking in circles for 4000 pages.

Read Kingkiller instead. It's unfinished (and will remain so, but it's still very good.

Presumably they have genetic engineering in the future, so looks are really just aesthetics and everyone has the same engine under the hood.