Author's Corner

Anybody who is writing anything, and needs to know something stupid, ask here. Kind of a /qtddtot/ but about random shit that you need to know for your story.

Me? I need to know what alcoholics drink in canada. You know, the really cheap shit, that nobody actually recommends, but everybody drinks? That.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6CwyCU_U16E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Vodka?

I mean yeah, but like a brand, y'know. Every country has their defining alcohol. The cheapest shit. Like, in Bavaria it's öttinger. In the states it might be budweiser?
You know, if you're making a cliche trailer trash character, what they'd drink.

Are you sure you're not just an alcoholicwho is moving to Canada? Using a real brand in writing rarely works well, if it's even recognized. You might think about making up a brand, though.

Uh, I guess. I'm not moving to canada, it's just something I got hung up on.

That looks like a typical New Zealand scene, have something pic related. youtube.com/watch?v=6CwyCU_U16E

When writing a book set at the current date, how do you write smartphones?

Like, how do you describe smartphones, or what do you call them? Smartphone isn't a brand, so that isn't a problem.

Al of the above. Mostly how do you incorporate them into the story without it sounding out of place or forced?

I guess that depends on how you're writing it. I just never mention it, and if I do, I just call it a cellphone.

you could just add it it subtly for example:

her cellphone rang twice before she swiped right and said hello

Is there any writer whose prose we can call "angry" or "agressive" in any way?

That sounds forced to me

Taaka Vodka is super, super cheap. Killed my dad too!

This is hard, you have to figure it out, because no one has so far.

John Gardener's in Grendel

Any tips on outlining a longer poem?

I think stephen king's The running man seemed very aggressive and angry to me.

>Killed my dad too!
Perfect!
jk sorry dude

me

you call it a phone you useless mongs. like people do, in real life.

this. people don't belabor the fact they are using a smartphone. it's understood.

never gonna make it anons

What do you mean? What's the context, what are you trying to show?

You're writing a contemporary world for contemporary readers. Keep that in mind. Don't spend too much time describing an everyday object if it's not important to the story.

Meant to reply

Thank you!
About outlining a longer poem, before I start writing I usually pick a concept and the direction I want to take it and find a symbol for it. It should branch naturally after that as long as you keep your symbol in mind.
A very typical example: time, fear of death and the regret about wasted lifetime, a river spilling onto the sea.

no one ever calls it a phone you stupid mongtard

>no one ever calls it a phone you stupid mongtard
Ah yes, my fine fellow, I agree in this reply typed by my cellular mobile phone.

are we differentiating between whites, frogs and First Nation?

no

Am I a giant mongoloid for working on a D&D style fantasy book? I feel like I already know the answer, but need confirmation that it isnt just a lack of self confidence.

Yeah, kinda, but you do you anyway, f a m. Don't worry about it.

William Gass

Thats what I thought.

Oh jeeze, you better not stop on account of me, or I'll feel really bad about it.

Nah, not gonna stop, but now I know that my concerns were realistic. Even if I dont manage to actually get it out there, at least my gaming buddies will enjoy reading it!

Good. There's always a demographic. Good luck famalam

You too!

Beer

t. Canadian addict

pabst blue ribbon, That what homeless drink in Montreal