Is this book worth reading?

Is this book worth reading?

Read Valis. You are Thomas

I quite liked it

Better than the movie

Yes

Ye

I had mixed feelings about it. It's vastly different from the movie, so expect that. I also felt that the author had a bunch of half baked ideas that he never truly fleshes out which leaves you confused as to why they're there in the first place.
i'd say to still go for it and build your own opinion on it. it's still a solid sci-fi book.

I always have to think of this when seeing the book or title and chuckle.

I bought it for $1 at a used book store. I read it in 1 day because I was that into it. I saw the movie afterwards. The book was better than the movie.

Absolutely

His entire oeuvre is great, with very few exceptions

I would suggest this one. Unlike “Do Androids...”, I have felt compelled to read this “Flow My Tears...” more than once. Never filmed.

whats it about

best pkd here imho senpai

Same thing like most of his novels.

I have been reading his most notable books, and so far I have enjoyed Man in the High Castle the best.
I have also read VALIS, Ubik, Flow My Tears, Electric Sheep, and half of A Scanner Darkly (need to get around to finishing it).
What are his other novels that I need to check out? I have Three Stigmata, Divine Invasion, and Transmigration on my list, and I hear Maze of Death is also good.

Can someone tell me if they actually dream of electric sheeps? Does the book answer the question or not?

more like a poetic question, so no.

yea im on my second reading. but Ive dropped it many time just reading pieces of it. I hate the part about the retard because it just slows the story down a bit too much.

>how do you do spoilers?
spoiler warning
I hate how hard he cakes on that the droid are not like humans. sounds like a neo nazi having to admit non-whites are human.

I would guess that they don't because androids in the book are very autistic about authenticity and this is one of the main distinctions that separate Androids from humans; humans realize that authenticity in the end is constructed, and the value that it brings to keep up its illusion is more worthwhile than endlessly rejecting it. Although Humans value authenticity as well, like the plot of the animals, this reaches a certain point by the end of the novel when the main character keeps an electric toad knowing it is not real, and it is implied that humans still follow the weird religion although the androids proved that it is fake.
Androids would not care to dream of electric sheep, and it is ironic because they themselves are inauthentic by their own standards.

Not only do people still follow the demonstrably false Mercerism, Deckard has a totally legitimate religious experience in the desert just before he finds the toad. The religion subplot is the part that adds all the real substance but people tend to gloss over it.

>androids in the book are very autistic about authenticity
I don't remember this part.

They are OBSESSED with disproving the religion, and the news-people who talk about its falsity are heavily implied if not outright stated to be androids .
I think there is also something to be said for how they treat and understand living animals, particularly Deckard's goat, but it has been a long time since I read the book. Maybe I am forgetting or misinterpreting things.

who the fuck dreams of sheep?

Has anyone read The game players of Titan?

Androids

It seems to me that your interpretation is too anthropocentric.

Also if some assholes claimed that I don't have soul because I can't have magical spiritual experiences I would be pretty mad at them and obsessed with proving that they are full of shit. I don't think it has anything to do with authenticity.