Is it possible to have a thread about Swedish literature?

Is it possible to have a thread about Swedish literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/37039/37039-h/37039-h.htm#CHAPTER_XXIV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No.
This is now an Anglo literature thread

Like... what?
No seriously op, recommend me something.
Never read a swede in my life

No, one likes snownigs

strindberg

"I repeat my statement that Sweden has no nationality. Can anybody tell me of anything Swedish in Sweden except her firs, pine trees, and iron-mines? And the latter will soon disappear from the market. What is our folk-lore but bad translations of French, English, and German ballads? What are the national costumes, the disappearance of which we so keenly regret, other than fragments and tatters of the aristocratic mediæval costumes? In the days of Gustavus I the dalesmen demanded that all those who wore low-cut or many-coloured dresses should be punished. Probably the gay court-dress from Burgundy had not yet filtered down to the daleswomen. But since then the fashion has changed many times.

"Tell me of a Swedish poem, a work of art, a piece of music, so specifically Swedish that it differs from all other not-Swedish ones! Show me a Swedish building! There isn't one, and if there were, it would either be bad architecture or built in a foreign style.

"I don't think I'm exaggerating when I maintain that the Swedish nation is a stupid, conceited, slavish, envious, and uncouth nation. And for this reason it is approaching its end, and approaching it with giant strides."

Source on that quote, seeing how google shows nothing and it contains almost every logical fallacy in the book I can only assume some literal retard wrote it.

what you wanna talk about buddy?

harry martinsson, selma lagerlöf, stig dagerman, torgny lindgren are a couple of classic swedish writers who are not august strindberg.

Strindberg, Pär Lagerkvist, Per Anders Fogelström. Don't know if Fredrika Breme has been translated, but she's good too.

Olaus magnus - a description of the northern peoples

No, not compared to the Norwegians. But swedish cinema is miles ahead of the rest of scandinavia. Go wach Ingmar Bergman and Roy Andersson.

Inferno

Strindberg is the only writer that made me doubt if he was really insane or just depicting insanity.

Does Sweden even have any writers?

gutenberg.org/files/37039/37039-h/37039-h.htm#CHAPTER_XXIV

>"Why in the name of fortune couldn't you leave Charles XII alone? That was your worst mistake."

Currently reading Frans Bengtsson's The Long Ships which is very good so far.
Also Astrid Lindgren was probably the most famous author of childrens books (at least in Germany when I was a child).

Speaking of Charles XII and now Bengtsson, I'm about to read his book about Charles XII. It's like 800 pages, and maybe not the best historical book. But I really like Bengtsson.

Sweden is, despite being the largest, most populated and arguably most powerful country in the nordic region during the late medieval-to-modern era, is a chronic underachiever and has never produced a truly great genius in any discipline.

Strindberg really is the only sw*de worth a damn in the field of literature. Maybe also Swedenborg if you're into esoteric protestantism or a highly dedicated Kantian.

They have the best music in scandinavia though

Name literally one (1) sw*dish composer that even approaches Grieg, Sibelius or Nielsen

Anyone read A Dream Play? I thought it was really cool.

wrong

This explains their immigration policy. They're just a vacuum.

Nice, tell us about it when you've finished. I like his unpretentious straight forward style, so it might be a light but still interesting read.

The emigrants/The settlers/The last letter home, by Moberg.

It's about a young Swedish family fleeing tp America to avoid political persecution, poverty and the horrible living conditions in their homeland in the 1850's, stretching through the series about how they build a life for themselves in their new country.

can we widen it to Scandinavian literature....(not including finland)?

Started reading Kallocain yesterday

Too long gonna see the movie. It has rave reviews

Sorry, I don’t speak Somali.

I feel like I’m commiting treason here but I thought those were really boring.

What's your favorite verse?

ANIARA

The book that won Harry Martinson the Nobel prize in literature.

good post

His other work is way better.