Your favourite Bible quotes?

Your favourite Bible quotes?
I like this one "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully
has already committed adultery with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:28

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as you obey Christ; not only while being watched, and in order to please them, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. - Ephesians 6:5-6

The one where they scientifically prove everything they claim... Oh wait...

Why are modern translations so gay?

Ephesians 6:5-9 (KJV)

>Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

>Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;

>With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men:

>Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.

>And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

frick off OP

I don't get it, doesn't God doesn't want us all to be free? Why would God not encourage rebellion against slavers, didn't Moses do that in Egypt?

>Doesn't God want us all to be free
From sin, yes but not in a sense like "American freedom". Christ became a servant to man, hence why he washed his disciples feet and died for them. God wants us all to be servants. Paul said "I am a slave unto the Gospel".

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all (((them))) that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the (((moneychangers))), and the seats of (((them))) that sold doves, And said unto (((them))), It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of (((thieves)))." - Matthew 21:12-13

The jews were God's chosen people but suddenly they killed His son... Yeah... That book makes no sense at all...

Samefag

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.
There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

And why would God chose jews only? Aren't we all their sons? Why he ignored asians, europeans, indians in favor of jews during the time of the old testament? That doesn't look much like love to me, giving only one race the right to achieve heaven...

What about:

Slaves, be obedient to those who are your earthly masters, with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as to Christ; not in the way of eye-service, as men-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that whatever good any one does, he will receive the same again from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free. Masters, do the same to them, and forbear threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.

Slaves, be obedient to the men who are called your masters in this world, with deep respect and sincere loyalty, as you are obedient to Christ: not only
when you are under their eye, as if you had only to please men, but because you are slaves of Christ and wholeheartedly do the will of God. Work hard and willingly, but do it for the sake of the Lord and not for the sake of men.
You can be sure that everyone, whether a slave or a free man, will be properly rewarded by the Lord for whatever work he has done well.
And those of you who are employers, treat your slaves in the same spirit; do without threats, remembering that they and you have the same Master in heaven and he is not impressed by one person more than by another.

Ecclesiastes is pure Veeky Forums bait. I'm surprised is isn't spammed here more often.

Nah, KJV or gtfo. Modern english sucks

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

(1Cor13)

I have a theory. We are supposed to love our neighbors. Forgive them. Turn our cheek to them. What better way to teach this than to force us to accept the most objectively detestable group on the planet as our brethren?

the one where Jesus killed a child for vexing him

>IV. 1 After that again he went through the village, and a child ran and dashed against his shoulder. And Jesus was provoked and said unto him: Thou shalt not finish thy course (lit. go all thy way). And immediately he fell down and died. But certain when they saw what was done said: Whence was this young child born, for that every word of his is an accomplished work? And the parents of him that was dead came unto Joseph, and blamed him, saying: Thou that hast such a child canst not dwell with us in the village: or do thou teach him to bless and not to curse: for he slayeth our children.

>V. 1 And Joseph called the young child apart and admonished him, saying: Wherefore doest thou such things, that these suffer and hate us and persecute us? But Jesus said: I know that these thy words are not thine: nevertheless for thy sake I will hold my peace: but they shall bear their punishment. And straightway they that accused him were smitten with blindness. 2 And they that saw it were sore afraid and perplexed, and said concerning him that every word which he spake whether it were good or bad, was a deed, and became a marvel. And when they (he ?) saw that Jesus had so done, Joseph arose and took hold upon his ear and wrung it sore. 3 And the young child was wroth and said unto him: It sufficeth thee (or them) to seek and not to find, and verily thou hast done unwisely: knowest thou not that I am thine? vex me not.

The Gospel of Thomas isn't in the Bible, you retard

There was a 'what is your favourite book in the bible' thread a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, the OP didn't post a poll with the question, but I estimate that about 30-40% of the replies said that Ecclesiastes was their favourite book.

He however did kill a fig tree in Matthew

>Now in the morning as he returned to the city, he hungered. And seeing a fig tree by the way side, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only; and he saith unto it, Let there be no fruit from thee henceforward for ever. And immediately the fig tree withered away. And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How did the fig tree immediately wither away? And Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do what is done to the fig tree, but even if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou taken up and cast into the sea, it shall be done. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

APOLOGIZE.

...And? What does this have to do with you mistakingly putting an non-canonical book in a bible thread?

>The Gospel of Thomas isn't in the Bible, you retard
hellbound heretic

Holy kek, what in the actual...? Jesus literally killed a child because of some kid's joke. And what's most funny is that in another part of the Bible it says that children who die go directly to heaven because they're still not entirely corrupted, but in this case Jesus completely ignored the child's non-corruption and coldly killed him, so he's probably in hell right now.

But if that child did indeed go to heaven, then Jesus wasn't punishing him. Like wtf...

shoo gnostic . go fearmonger the demiurge somewhere else
------------

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

P U R P L E
R
O
S
E

I think its Esther 6:1

Where the king can't sleep so they bring him the book of chronicles.

audible kek.

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

(Gen1)

Contemplating verse 2 is what gets me. The Holy Spirit over an ocean Earth, total darkness, moments after creation, moments before the first light. These three verses together showing the Trinity in unified action; the Father speaks to the Son who creates in the Spirit.

These things they thought, and were deceived: for their own malice blinded them. And they knew not the secrets of God, nor hoped for the wages of justice, nor esteemed the honour of holy souls. For God created man incorruptible, and to the image of his own likeness he made him. But by the envy of the devil, death came into the world: And they follow him that are of his side.

But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and the torment of death shall not touch them. In the sight of the unwise they seemed to die: and their departure was taken for misery: And their going away from us, for utter destruction: but they are in peace. And though in the sight of men they suffered torments, their hope is full of immortality.

I'd love to have an unironic Ecclesiastes thread, with only believers or irreligious but respectful posters.

I'd love to get some insight from some of my more intelligent peers.

That thread inspired me to read it; it was fucking awesome. Kinda had a stoic and epicurean vibe to it.

If you loved it, I suggest you read Song of Solomon and Proverbs. Song of Solomon is a romantic poem but most likely the same author (I personally believe the writer of Ecclesiastes is Solomon) and Proverbs, which is really a bunch of...well "proverbs" if that floats your boat. I love all three books.

Thanks, user. I'll check them out.

Do you have questions about certain parts?

Solomon was an interesting man. Check out his Song of Songs, a hymn or poem about the love between husband and wife. His other book in the Bible, Proverbs, is a collection of sayings which teach how to live a wise and righteous life.

Other books of the Bible with similar themes to Ecclesiastes are the the Wisdom of Solomon (not written by King Solomon), Job, and the Wisdom of Sirach.

Just refreshed and saw your post. I'll post my descriptions anyway.

this one is overplayed, like stairway to heaven

>If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Genesis 4:7

The Israelites didn't rebel against the Egyptians. They asked to leave.

If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

I'd forgotten that part, that's hilarious.

>I'll read this boring shit to send me to sleep
>Wait a minute, it says Mordecai is awesome, better go honour him

Exodus 32:26-29

Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, ‘Who is on the LORD’s side? Come to me!’ And all the sons of Levi gathered around him. He said to them, ‘Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, “Put your sword on your side, each of you! Go back and forth from gate to gate throughout the camp, and each of you kill your brother, your friend, and your neighbour.”’ The sons of Levi did as Moses commanded, and about three thousand of the people fell on that day. Moses said, ‘Today you have ordained yourselves for the service of the LORD, each one at the cost of a son or a brother, and so have brought a blessing on yourselves this day.’

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

did i post this? i meant to.

have you read Plato's Timaeus? there's a really interesting analogue here with the Receptacle and the "Earth without Form."

The truth will set you free. Your social position is quite lacking in importance.

Shit thread. Fuck you OP

>Like wtf..
That's not from the Bible, that's what the fuck. Had you read it, you'd know.

this pretty much. we use words to mean different things now

Tyndale/KJV at its most baroque

25 And there was a voice from the firmament that was over their heads, when they stood, and had let down their wings.
26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.
27 And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about.
28 As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

Micah 6:8
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good;
and what doth the Lord require of thee,
but to do justly, and to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with thy God?

Hebrew 13:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Proverbs 8:22
The LORD possessed me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of old.

Bloom thinks Tyndale is in company with Shakespeare/Milton in Eng. Lit canon...if your read the rather ho-hum Greek NT and compare with the KJV, its hard to disagree

These are all so thought provoking, the bible is truly a masterpiece

Scientifically prove to me you aren't a cocksucking faggot because I am empirically noting that

Make way for the ultimate pseud

>Jesus wept. John 11:35

(you)

i like the sermon on the mount in matthew, jesus seems such a nice guy compared to his old man

>mfw the fallibility of humanity is central to Christian dogma, but they're willing to let fallible humans determine what is and is not the perfect truth of God

>for God created man incorruptible
>but the devil corruption him

Here's another translation that will help make sense of it.

21 So they reasoned these things and were led astray, for their malice blinded them.
22 But they did not know the mysteries of God, nor hope for the wages of holiness, nor judge the reward of blameless souls.
23 For God created man for immortality and made him an image of His own eternity.
24 But death entered the world by the envy of the devil, and those of his portion tempt it.
1 But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and no torture will ever touch them.
2 In the eyes of the undiscerning they seemed to have died, and their departure was considered to be a misfortune,
3 And their passage from us to their destruction; But they are at peace.
4 For though in man's view they were punished, their hope is full of immortality.

*corrupted

>these people are incorruptible
>but their malice and poor reasoning led them to be corrupted
Doesn't really relate to my point, unless you're saying dude Heaven at some point means the suffering now is insignificant which is hugely retarded

The text is saying that God created man in a state which was capable of immortality. The devil instigated, and man cooperated in, the fall from that state to a new state which is susceptible to death.

Still doesn't relate to my point unless you're taking immortality to mean perfection

Yeah, perfection is another way to say it. In the Orthodox Church, it's typically described as theosis, or deification, participation in the divine nature. "All that God is, except for an identity in being, one becomes when one is deified by grace."-St Maximos the Confessor

delet

>means the suffering now is insignificant which is hugely retarded
Why is it?

damn dude used the adverb "scientifically" lol rekt

Ecclesiastes 9:12 - "Moreover, no one knows when their hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so people are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them."
Ecclesiastes 11:6 - "Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well."

I was in a dark place a few months ago, and Ecclesiastes really helped me out of it.

Eccesiastes is so depressing though, at least to me. That is, until the end.

Glad it helped you though