Contemporary Literature

What literature have you read that has been published recently, say within the last decade? Books of any kind, novel or otherwise, fiction or non-fiction.

I ask because I, to my recollection, have not read anything at all published later than this

Reading My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. Want to finish the Neapolitan Cycle because I like it a lot. It also makes we want to read My Struggle by Knausgard.

Read this. I will probably read " A Little Life" if it comes to the library.

Norm Macdonald's "memoir". Wasn't bad.

Has anybody here read any truly awful books recently?

Feel morbidly curious after consuming good shit so much

Nightwood by Djuna Barnes. Utter shit.

bleeding edge is better than people give it credit for

People who can read spanish should read this

That looks good, added to my list.
Some books I like or loved that were published in the last ~5 years:

On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder

Invisible Planets: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation by Ken Liu

Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World

The Book of Strange New Things

The Corpse Exhibition and Other Stories of Iraq

The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made

Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets

The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America

Tenth of December

Robert Oppenheimer: A Life Inside the Center

Amsterdam Stories

Nice list :)

Recently read Tai Pei, it was a great novel until it became clear that there was no way Tao was self-aware/able to end it in a satisfactory way. There was no real resolution, but the imagery in the book - for instance, Paul's musings on Taipei in relation to his own life, early on in the book - was stellar, as was the way he captured the depressed boredom of modern existence, memey as that idea may be. I'm looking forward to Leave Society though I don't actually have high hopes for it.

>The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made
I'm surprised that isn't memed on here. Can't wait to see the movie.

If we're including non-fiction:

The Secret of Our Success
Nietzsche's New Darwinism
The Ego Tunnel
The Secret of the Labyrinth
Professor Borges
The Age of Em

It's a surprisingly deep book! I went in thinking the author would shit on Wiseau for his weirdness, but it's more a story of a friendship the author himself does not understand

Thank you user :3

Cover is interesting. I can't read Spanish. What's the plot / why should people read it?

emerald light in the air
bobcat
barrelling forward
you are having a good time
homesick for another world
dead husband project
the fun parts
angel esmeralda
the woman who married a cloud
redeployment
love affairs of nathaniel p
unlikely pilgrimage of harold frye
knausgard 1
the dinner
lush life
magicians trilogy
deathly hallows

i think this is as good a time as any to shill my shitty ebook (self-recorded audio book inc. [fire emoji]). it's free, and you would make my year if you downloaded it just to shit on it in a review.

there's too many memes and young thug interpretations to be literary but what the hell, ya know?

The Corpse Exhibition is scarier than most actual horror books, 9/10 would read again

About the decay of a father and the human body

stop fucking listing books and actually write your impressions about some of them

admittedly I cracked your book. Lots of cats, man, what gives?

>knausgard 1
Why do people say that the second one is better than the first one? It's such bullshit.

>reading contemporary literature

On the edge, by Rafael Chirbes. This book is a masterpiece.

My struggle, by Karl Ove Knausgård. Pretty good, although the third one sucked. I will read the last one when it comes out.

Leaving the Atocha station, by Ben Lerner. Comfy and fun.

lincoln in the bardo is really good

150 p in to The Pale King
it's not hard to imagine this guy as the author

Better than IJ imhotbqhwyf

haven't read IJ so I can't compare
it seems to be a common opinion here though

all of nu-delillos stuff
which is better than his older stuff

Some novels I enjoyed from the last decade
2017: Steve Erickson, Shadowbahn
2016: Alan Moore, Jerusalem
2015: Alexandra Kleeman, You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine
2014: Ben Lerner, 10:04
2013: Tao Lin, Taipei
2012: Colm Tóibín, The Testament of Mary
2011: Blake Butler, There Is No Year
2010: Jennifer Egan, A Visit from the Goon Squad
2009: Thomas Pynchon, Inherent Vice
2008: Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

The thread just asked to list. For someone on Veeky Forums your reading skills aren't that great.

Elucidate nigga. What do you mean by it "wasn't bad?"

A bunch for school.
>Eunoia by Christian Bök
>Injun by Jordan Abel
>chapbooks by Fenn Stewart, Sean Braune

>Tfw Canadian

>2017: Steve Erickson, Shadowbahn

Ooh, nice. I have Zeroville and should read it. Pynchon recommends Days Between the Station.

Libra is still his best imo but I really liked Zero K and I'm kinda saddened that Delillo is so accessible stylistically that people who shouldn't be reading him read him.

The Iliad

Lawrence Osborne

Pynchon recommended a book? Where did you ever find recommendations by him? Genuinely interested btw.

i dont actually read books

however i spend tens of hours consuming reviews and highly-regarded opinions on books that are outside the scope of mass opinion, but well known enough to garner a following

i dont actually have a taste of my own, which is why my entire list is without any personality

same
books are gay

Give a hoot, read a book

What do you guys think of neil gaiman?

six four by hideo yokoyama. long but it's a solid mystery with a nice twist. bought it because of the cover

The latest Senges, Michon, Vila-matas, Marias, Quignard, Pynchon, The Magicians trilogy, Bakker (well, he's new, but still), Pullman, Helprin, Tawada

he blurbed Days Between the Station, he blurbs a lot of books. Writers completely removed from Pynchon's style/themes send him books and if he likes it he blurbs it, if he doesn't/doesn't read it you hear nothing back.

Easily one of the best books in the past 50 years. Will most likely be read for decades to come, as it should be.