Should I bother with a translation or should I just get to learning Arabic?

Should I bother with a translation or should I just get to learning Arabic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5zh5QCsjYY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>reading toilet paper

good one.

Saheeh translation is fine. Learn Arabic if you like, it will open you up to a world of literature that you'd otherwise be myopic to.

Haha! Yeah, dude! Lets shit on a bible next. Fuck religion!

of course you should read arabic
you never ever EVER read books of such civilizational and religious significance in translated versions

>The Arabian Nights and a shitty warrior cult bible
>world

You have to go back.

>I don't know anything about Arabic literature but I'm going to spout my retarded opinions

Now that you mention it, I am pretty ignorant on Arabic literature. The mongoloid below me mentioned the Arabian Nights and the Qu'ran and that's pretty much all I know about Arabic literature. What else is there?

Just so you know you have to learn ancient arabic not modern arabic to read it

Deus vult pussy boys

arabic world is mostly known for poetry

you'd have better time if you know arabic, but do keep in mind that even some native arabs do struggle with understanding it.

also big tip: don't read mohammads sayings, since alot of it don't fit in the modern world and looks absolutely barbaric (there is literally one where he says you should punish a thief by cutting his hands)

>Deus vult pussy boys

the golden era of the arabic world*

the only countries that still make poems are the gulf ones. and still, alot of current age poems are shit-tier poems. the arabic world is really in a cultural stagnation now.

t. syrian

nowadays there is too much iconoclasm in arabic world
role of salafism is very similar to the role protestantism had 500 years ago

>Theologus Autodidactus
First science fiction novel ever known, which has been said to inspire Robinson Crusoe (first novel in English, if you didn't know) among other works. It was a response to this book:
>Philosophus Autodidactus
A book that was a response to Al Ghazali's books, which were mystic. (He debated with a guy called Averroes by the way, who was Aristotelian. Read Al Ghazali and Averroes if you're interested in a debate about faith, science, etc.). Both these Autodidactus books have similar plots, NEET autodidacts who lived in caves and on desert islands.
Like the other user said, mostly they wrote poetry, and there's plenty of poets to choose from in the history of the Arab world. But here's modern Arabic writers/poets from Harold Bloom's list:
>Taha Hussein
>Najib Mahfuz (Nobel prize for literature)
>Adunis
>Mahmud Darwish

Arabic is an imperial language full of disgusting glottal stops and the Koran is literally antiliterary: a book against books; straight stone age fascism for pedo imams and he goat fuckers that serve them.

Read a public domain translation for a good laugh, and don't waste too much time. It is just a jumble of hearsay and propaganda.

>Arabic is an imperial language full of disgusting glottal stops
He said in English, the foremost imperial language, which is the ass baby of Latin, Germanic, and French, but still managing to sound retarded to everyone else.
>a book against books; straight stone age fascism for pedo imams and *he* goat fuckers that serve them
Same thing New Atheists say about the Bible, because they're literary midgets.
>Dudeeee religion is propagandaaaaa and hearsay
How's middle school?

this

the mu'allaqat are really good, even in translation

*sigh* fucking pseuds

learning arabic is necessary to fully appreciate what is going on poetically, the meter, and stuff.

however, even native language speakers find some of the things going on in the koran to go way above their heads. hence the belief in it being from god

Forgot the dunce cap pic for your post.

*pounces on you* oh hai, heard youuu sighingg, thought i'd stick my lil head in your mouth and see what the prob-
Oh my SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
It's - it's... SO BIG SENPAI
0.o ur uvuuula~~... is... *blushes*
N-NANIIII

The spaghetti monster is an accurate and poignant image (id est, the deity of patriarchy appears after centuries projection as a massive tangle of noodles and meatballs)

Allah is YHWH's retarded younger cousin. fuck them both

Religion isn't inherently propaganda but pretending that religion can't be used as propaganda is fucking moronic. I refuse to believe that you legitimately think religion has never been used maliciously to control people.

Do you already know another semitic language? If not, I think you'll give up learning arabic. Just read a translation.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5zh5QCsjYY

Try listening to it. It's more beautiful in Arabic than in English.

He looks too brown to be alt-right.

>implying that the alt right isn't composed primarily of 56%ers

Is the Sufi Quran written for Sunni or Shia?

Whiter than you, Muhammad.

It's written for sufis?

I thought Sufis could be either Sunni or Shia.

Read the translation
> also this thread is cancer

aren't the arabic versions "revised" as well throughout the ages? is there a pure quran out there?

No, the arabic quran was not revised in any meaningful form.

The biggest change was that diacritics were added a couple years after the prophet's death so that there was one canonical way of pronouncing it. In fact that's how diacritics were added to the arabic language.

How does one go about learning Qu'ranic arabic on their own? I would be grateful if anyone had any recommended resources

Charlie Rose: Dr. Harrison, you spent the first half of your career as a scholar of classical Arabic. What caused your interest in this topic initially? Take us back.

Dr. Harrison: Well Charlie, this was the late 2000s, just before the election of Obama, and as I'm sure you recall-

Charlie Rose: hostile times, no? Certainly not a popular time to be studying Islam.

Dr. Harrison: Exactly, exactly. But I had always been drawn to religion, especially through the influence of my Arab mother.

Charlie Rose: Your mother was from Lebanon, correct?

Dr. Harrison: Yes that's right, but around my late 20s I began to have second guesses about my progress in Arabic. I posted a thread on Veeky Forums

Charlie Rose: Veeky Forums? The notorious imageboard?

Dr. Harrison: Yes, well, y-, well we were posting on the "literature" board, very different from the rest of the websites culture you see.

Charlie Rose: A more liberal environment?

Dr. Harrison: Something like that. But I began to wonder if I should continue studying Arabic or if I shouldn't just dive into a translated edition of the Quran. But after that thread, my mind was made up, and I never looked back. The advice I received from total strangers with, to say the least, questionable qualifications, dictated my future in ways I couldn't have possibly understood. I took all of their replies sincerely and allowed it to direct my course in academia and life generally.

>should I just get to learning Arabic
No, I was raised in a muslim household and I can tell you that no one reads it in the original arabic. Or well...they can read it in the original arabic and pronounce everything correctly but they don't understand what any of it means. When they actually want to understand the text they read a translation into whatever language is most suitable for them. Even all the arabs I know read translations. So go ahead and pick out a good english translation and dive into it. Oh and another thing. Pretty much everyone I know who has read a translation has read it with 'tafseer.' Basically it's a version that has been translated by someone and then annotated by a scholar. That would probably be the ideal thing to read since it would make it much easier for you to understand how the Quran is interpreted by mainstream scholars and it'll explain all the historically relevant details that you may be unaware of.

that's modern standard arabic though, not classical arabic
I was under the impression they have diverged quite a bit

kek

thanks a lot, very interesting. so it's like some raw text that changes meaning depending on how you see and pronounce the words

>not once referencing seekershub.org
Lul good luck learning off of shitty youtube lectures faggots

The translators are Sunni Sufis, but Sufis don't put as much emphasis on denomination as others.

DUDE
What do you think your qabbani wrote? Poetry is still alive

Translation is fine but it won't be perfect, still really interesting to read even with an imperfect translation

You shouldn't waste your time like that, mate.