Ugh

>Villain has to be sympathetic to be a good villain

>there are villians in literature
when will the baby-boomers learn what good and bad are?

Oops, sorry. Meant to say "antagonist", good sir, or is that too archaic?
Faggot

>muh shades of grey

I like how this soyboy thinks relative morality actually exists

black and white dynamic is the best dynamic, you brainlet

'villians' only exist in comic books. You can be evil, but the OP's whole dialectic is pure you-vs-us retardation leading them to beileve that one person is evil. Also, have you noticed how the 'villian' is usually suppose to kill someone? Should he succeed, the 'hero' would then be complicit as incapable of doing his job, and thus, having no place to even attempt to stop the 'villian'. This means, that the villian, is actually a more proper form than the hero, and as of such, is more platonically good to his form, than the 'hero' is to his.

>"the author needs to write for his audience (me)"
>writer is from another continent and writes in a different language in the 1800s

villain.
1 : (in a film, novel, or play) a character in a story or play who opposes the hero. 2 : a deliberate scoundrel or criminal. 3 : one blamed for a particular evil or difficulty.
They don't need to kill to be a villain. Also, your warped definition of "good" is terrible and honestly pretentious.

Nice spooks you got there, faggot

morality is an inescapable consequence of being

xD and I'm guessing you're the dark blackness :3 ~~~ Existence is paiiinnn, let meeee killlll thoseee who are happyyyy

it is from Plato you pleb. As for quoting a dictionary for the existence of your ideas. A 'hero' is someone who acts on the behalf of God in a religious matter. A 'villian' in one of these works would not merit ANY interesting story without that 'villain' being a murderer. Because there is no other reason why God would need to find a hero. Also, traditional villians, are usually more pious than the heroes like Frodo and Gollum or the Balrog and Gandalf, both of whom had to do the job for the Gods that they themselves failed to.

Both are interesting, but in all honesty you need to have an ultimate villain, who is truly evil, it's often interesting to have somebody fall into evil and end up serving the "evil character" but you need to have the endgame bad guy as truly evil.

reminds me of palpatine who was actually serving the force instead of the jedi who were whores for the republic

>brainlets can't comprehend how real evil can be attractive to readers
>not liking a true evil character who manipulates and corrupts other characters into serving/partnering with him and watching tragedy unfold

what your saying is the use of charisma and intelligence. neither of those necessitate evil, and are so satisfying, because 'good' has always been foreshadowing for war.

'evil will always triumph, because good is dumb'
-Sophonius

holee shit, obito looks so cool desu o.o

>"People doing good is dumb and unrealistic! We have to see everyone's side! There's no such thing as evil."

that word is a dead end

The use of them for nefarious means what's satisfying, the use of good and evil allows the reader to explore their own duality as a human.

>show don't tell

You just reminded my how much I hate Disney and the new canon

not as bad as
>hero is the moral measuring stick of his universe

Yeah, I think Hannibal proved that.

>deconstruction of X genre

>construction of Y genre

to expand further, the readers need the pure evil 1. for the satisfaction of imagining themselves as the evil 2. to get an insight of the evil inside them in order to purge

>orcs are actually the good guys, it's just the racist white Elves that oppress the orcs that have made orc culture so intolerable.
>if Elves would just invest in Orc infrastructure: schools, roads, hospitals, etc., then the Orcs could have a quality of life just like the Elves, and wouldn't be so violent.
>the Orcs weren't invading northwestern Middle Earth, they were refugees seeking a better life for their little orclettes.
How's that for sympathetic villains/antagonists?

>using Greek philosophy to define reality

Your idea of good and evil is an extreme pacifist version of Christianity's morale view.