African-American Literature: Best Place to Start

Hello, Veeky Forums. Some background information, I am young, Canadian, black man who's parents immigrated here from Eritrea. Because of my upper middle-class upbringing, I've felt rather disconnected from the plight of the African-American in America today and years past. What is the best place to start if I wanted to learn more?

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/article/us-usa-harvard-discrimination/u-s-threatens-to-sue-harvard-over-admissions-policies-idUSKBN1DL1PQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nigger

uh sweetie, no

Chicago

>african-american literature
just read toni morrison. everything else is the same.

African Americans don't have a plight. I know it's comforting to imagine that black failure is due to a vast invisible conspiracy rather than personal incompetence, but it's just not true. Maybe in 1943 you could whine about systemic racism, but in 2017 blacks are objectively the most privileged ethnic group in all of Western society. Elite universities, the media, the government, the justice and welfare system, thousands of non-profits, and virtually every cultural and social institution in Western world openly discriminate in favor of blacks to advance black success. Being born black is living life on easy mode, where every complaint you have gets a headline story and every failure in life is written off as somebody else's fault. If you're black and not successful then somewhere along the way you fucked up HARD, because literally all of society is working collectively to prop you up.

Fuck all the other cocksuckers in this thread. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison is a masterpiece, no better place to start.

Seconded. Amazing book.

>Black Literature
>talk about white people all the time.

Written like a true white man. Please tell me more about your inherent struggle.

I have never seen a more out of touch post. Not even the white girl who sued harvard for rejecting her basic ass

To start read David Walker's Appeal and Narrative of F. Douglass. Autobiography of Malcolm X and Roots are also good reads.

Everything in his post is objectively true or common sense. Blacks do not belong in white societies and only make them worse. It's insane that we import more of these people like the OP's parents.

>objectively true
>common sense
Sure is spooky in here

WE

Others are worse off as a result of your inability to acknowledge that you are the product of a dysfunctional race that has never produced anything but dysfunction. Or a virtue-signaling white guy who ignores the reality right in front of you.

reuters.com/article/us-usa-harvard-discrimination/u-s-threatens-to-sue-harvard-over-admissions-policies-idUSKBN1DL1PQ

This meme was never funny

We've seen these types of bogus stories before, like the African liberals fawned over who claimed to be building a submarine out of an old car. But even if there is a talented 10th among Africans, it's not worth putting up with the retarded and violent other 90%, and the talented 10th's kids will regress toward the mean anyway and be just as dysfunctional as the average person in their home country. Africans don't belong in the west and have to go back, period.

>Canadian
>black man

heh nope

You'll never be Canadian

Toni Morrison, James Baldwing, Ralph Ellison, and, of course, my man Iceberg Slim are the best IMOm

While not written by an American, I heavily recommend giving A Brief History if Seven Killings by Marlon James a read. Easily one of the best books of this century.

>true
becuz u sed so
>common sense
Spook

You really are a retard if you don't think that the fact that they're raised in shitty, crime-ridden communities is a factor in the poor upbringing of blacks. Their schools look more like farms than schools, ffs.

You aren't African American. An African American is exactly what the term describes, an African American, one who's family has been in America for as long as many 'white Americans', generally with a link to the slave trade.
Maybe in a couple generations you will count.
So, read some damn Eritrean literature.

That has nothing to do with it. Blacks are dysfunctional because of their biology, which stems from their evolutionary environment. The Chinese were peasants until the 1970s and have built enormous global cities; the tallest buildings in Africa to this day were built by whites during the colonial period. Blacks are incapable of building functional institutions and societies.

>That has nothing to do with it
It does. Would you say that spics are an inferior race, too?

u gay

>race
*group

Got him.

I didn't use the word "inferior," but spics are incapable of building first world institutions/societies as well. Africans are obviously worse than anyone at that though, which is why everywhere they exist is shitty. But the point is not to demean, it's to understand. Blacks never had to plan ahead due to the environments they involved in so they lack intelligence and the ability to plan for the future, that's the source of their dysfunction.

> involved
*evolved...

A Brief History is the best book from the last 20 years not written by anyone with "Ruggles" on their name.

Where exactly did OP state that he was an African-American?

Norton Anthology of African American Literature

>likes half baked existentialism

Hey man, awesome you want to get into some AA lit! I think the best recommendations would be the Autobiography of Malcolm X, and Assata.

However I would just find a period you find interesting in AA history and read the book of that time. My personal experience with AA lit is the AoMX and branching out from him forward and backwards historically.

I would also suggest the Norton anthology- if you're going that route I would also suggest getting a hefty book on AA/US history. A lot of the references/significance will go over your head if you don't know the context of the times.

Also, just on a final note, I would suggest starting a bookclub with friends or mentors, for God's sake don't seek help from Veeky Forums. It's cancer.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are seeking.

Typo? Holy fuck DUBUNKED amiright?

Thanks man, I really appreciate it

>introspective literature
>talk about other people all the time
Why do writers do this?

>Doesn't have The Fire Next Time
>Doesn't have The Devil Finds Work
>Doesn't have Hue and Cry
>Doesn't have A Small Place