How do I into literature guys?

How do I into literature guys?

just shitpost and pretend to read

Start with Jung, Heidegger and Hegel.

/thread

Start with Infinite Jest, then slowly work your way up to Harry Potter

>A Clockwork Orange
>Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
I have already seen the films based on these, are they still worth reading?

I've always hated this chart. It's obvious some American created it based on his high school reading list.

>A Clockwork Orange
absolutely
>Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
nah

>Kill a mockingbird bird

how about kill yourself

I enjoyed Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep, but it's nothing fantastic. Would recommend if you liked BR though, the movie is a rather loose adaptation.

What's wrong with Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

leave this place immediately

yeah for real

Nothing wrong with it, I just don't think it's necessary as part of the Veeky Forums starter kit.

This chart is shit, just call it HS reading list, a real Veeky Forums start kit would have flavor of the board. I think Camus, Hemingway or Dostoevsky get a lot of people here started. Also Lolita has to much depth and literary allusion to be on that chart

Despite the tryhards crapping on it, that is a very good chart. It's obviously for people who don't read yet, no shit it's going to have high school lit.

I'll be damn pleased if someone reads these instead of young adult shit or a celebrity biography.

here's an important tip: read some classics but if you're not enjoying them for god's sake just stop instead of forcing yourself through them, reading shouldn't be a chore

>tfw my hs only made us read 2 of the books on the chart

rude

For the love of God, this.

Bible threads regularly have pseuds telling people to read it cover to cover. Like, shit, have these cunts actually read the Bible? Some people give up because of genealogies in Genesis, you really think they're going to read the Tabernacle descriptions and sacrifice regulations? And that's just the Pentateuch!

>but if you're not enjoying them for god's sake just stop instead of forcing yourself through them
but that would be admitting defeat
I don't want to be a pleb faggot nigger

Absolutely. A book is not (just) the story, and even the stories of those two novels got changed in the adaptation. The other countless nuances that a discerning reader/viewer would notice can't be transmitted across mediums at all.

Yeah, everyone should start with le greeks le xd

Actually good advice. You might think that Veeky Forums knows much about literature but we really don't. Don't trust this shithole too much.

there is nothing more plebby than forcing yourself through some shit you're not getting anything from just so you can tell yourself you're an intellectual big boy

I don't want to tell myself anything, I just don't want to be a pleb faggot nigger

If your vocabulary includes the phrase "pleb faggot nigger" you're already a lost cause

Which ones?

Leave and never come back. I'm saying this for your sake.

>Bitching about Leviticus
I am better than you BECAUSE of the knowledge I gained of ancient Hebrew ceremony and custom

>Ficciones and As I Lay Dying on a start kit
Otherwise it's good

I like his spirit, actually. Confronting yourself with a text you don't understand allows you to learn a lot about reading, how you should read etc. Had I not been forced out of my comfort zone by school ( had to read Homer when I was 15) I'd probably still be reading fantasy garbage.

>I'll be damn pleased if someone reads these instead of young adult shit or a celebrity biography
e-even this?

Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men

>pleb faggot nigger
>pleb faggot nigger
>pleb faggot nigger

no you're right, it's important to step outside your comfort zone and i would tell people to at least have a stab at books they wouldn't normally choose. i guess what i would want to say is there's a difference between reading a book that you're not 'enjoying' in the traditional sense but are still feeling you're getting something from, and reading something you feel you ought to read because it's a 'classic' but you're not enjoying OR learning from

Even your chart starts with the Greeks

>I just don't want to be a pleb faggot nigger

Why?

ah-bloo-bloo