Considering the shit he pulled on women, as revealed in this bio, how fucked would be be if he was still alive?

Considering the shit he pulled on women, as revealed in this bio, how fucked would be be if he was still alive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kOMkl3ApTK0
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/david-foster-wallace-genius-fabulist-would-be-murderer/261997/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

we shall only conclude such an inquiry in saying that it was among the considerations he had in the process of tying a noose, attaching it to his neck, and hanging from it until dead

Why don't you explain to us the shit he pulled?

I would be very conflicted about him

Why has borderline sexual misconduct suddenly been equated to rape.

since we started taking women seriously

I feel like giving women complete agency combined with birth control will prove to be more historically significant than we can imagine

Yeah, I don't like that there's no distinction made when these guys get punished. CK got the same treatment that Weinstein did though his actions were far less egregious.

Things that wouldn't play well today:

"Audience pussy"

He pushed the poet and memoirist Mary Karr from a speeding vehicle.

He threw a coffee table at Karr and shattered it.
He stalked Karr and punched out her car window.

He assaulted a student during a creative writing class he was teaching.

He had sex with his creative writing students.

Had sex with an underage girl who showed up at a book signing, prompting panic from Wallace and something along the lines of "I told you not to come here".

I took a creative nonfiction course with him at Ponoma back in '94. We weren't allowed to show anyone our essays outside of the class for some reason. He seemed naturally intelligent, didnt need to look at any notes or textbooks or prepare for any lectures, he just knew his stuff and was super casual.

I saw him talking to a girl on campus one day. He uncharacteristically wore a Fila sweatsuit, the kind that looks like it's made from the same material as parachutes, and trainer sneakers with a matching bandana. That was his pussy hunt outfit apparently. Several times a week, same outfit, I'd see him hitting on women in it. I once saw him wearing it while carrying an identical outfit from the dry cleaners, he had like 4 sets of same Fila sweatsuit.

I asked him about it in class and he said we aren't allowed to discuss anything unrelated to class while inside class, the same way we can't show anyone outside of class our essays. A student called out "but Dostoevsky isn't in this class and last week you talked about replicating his black tea obsession to test its affects on your own writing". Wallace stared blankly at the student with dead eyes for 30 seconds in dead silence then said "you just got knocked down a full letter grade. Any other smart asses? Didn't think so." and pushed up his glasses with his index finger.

I remember telling myself this guy will either be super successful or kill himself.

Big, if true

I laughed anyway. What a ridiculous man. Still like him though.

I just can't get into dfw, I tried IJ and Oblivion but the writing seems like a technically gifted but socially unaware redditor trying really hard to impress people, but doesn't realize he has nothing interesting to say

He is observant, which is useful, and he is funny, which I like. He may not offer catharsis but he does capture the feelings of unhappy families, addiction, etc.

>not recognizing a classic pasta

>He assaulted a student during a creative writing class he was teaching.
What's the story on this?

i'm enjoying this thread thoroughly

Yeah, seconded, wanna hear this

Yeah, but it's honestly not even their fault

youtube.com/watch?v=kOMkl3ApTK0

He'd probably pull an hero. At least DFW was ahead of his time at something.

He's really not popular with the feminist crowd already, he'd have been raked over the coals.

>"Audience pussy"
that's a fantastic line and you know it
>He pushed the poet and memoirist Mary Karr from a speeding vehicle.
if this happened, why wasn't he arrested and jailed?
>He threw a coffee table at Karr and shattered it.
see above
>He stalked Karr and punched out her car window.
see above
>He assaulted a student during a creative writing class he was teaching.
>He had sex with his creative writing students.
I would too
>Had sex with an underage girl who showed up at a book signing, prompting panic from Wallace and something along the lines of "I told you not to come here".

let's get some hard evidence and not an alarmist fabrication engineered to sell books and tarnish the reputation of a great writer

>tarnish the reputation of a great writer
Isn't this thread about DFW?

Seems like he just knew how to have fun.

no its about you
can you link me to the work you've published?
maybe even a short story?
oh
you mean you haven't published anything have you?
oh
I mean, have you written anything you could send me?
oh you haven't written anything either?
that's a shame.
perhaps you just aren't creative or intelligent enough
I don't think you will ever publish anything to be frank
you don't have the "knack" for it I think
you don't seem big in the "mind" department if you catch my drift

Not the guy you replied to but I find him painfully unfunny. He is observant for sure but his humor is downright embarrassing to me.

>can you link me to the work you've published?
Why the fuck would I want to associate my public persona with 4chains, when one of the biggest point of this Mongolian goat exchange is anonymity?

Do we have any concrete proof of this having happened? Because I'm 99% sure that DFW was a virgin and all of this was manufactured to cover that fact.

>public persona
you don't have one
the fact of the matter is, you may as well be anonymous in real life for all the sex, influence, and money you have

I bet alphas like DFW used to kick your ass in junior high
you cultivated your little "hobby" in reading, to explain to your parents why you never went to parties or had friends
but DFW had all those things, AND he knew more about reading and writing than you ever will
that must be really painful for you

Geez, I'd be more inclined to come down on your side generally here but you sound like an absolute psycho.

I don't mean any of it
I love everyone on Veeky Forums you guys are all my friends
everything I've ever said on this website is 100% banter and shitposting besides this post

>someone riding DFW's dick this hard

t. Bret Easton Ellis
go back to directing lindsay lohan movies

>how fucked would be be if he was still alive?
Every great literary figure from the past would qualify as unwoke by today's standards. Doesn't matter cause the average humanities student in the year of our lord 2017 has neither the mental capacity nor the attention span for anything beyond YA that has been vetted to hell and back by 'sensitivity readers'.

>'sensitivity readers'.
That's a real thing, isn't it.

Waht did he do?

start with the non-fiction, then read IJ
you might need 3 or so tries

i love DFW so fucking much

>dfw was a opportunistic Chad
Wtf

>if this happened, why wasn't he arrested and jailed?
I think unless it's an exceptional case, you don't necessarily have to be arrested and jailed unless the person wants to press charges/call the cops. This isn't that hard to fathom, suppose I assault my girlfriend but no one else knows, or anyone who knows doesn't call the cops, and she doesn't call the cops/want to press charges, then I won't be arrested or charged with anything, it's just a private incident that happened.

He took them out for dinner on no less than five occasions and then, if they were ready, had consensual sex with them in the missionary position

>Had sex with an underage girl who showed up at a book signing, prompting panic from Wallace and something along the lines of "I told you not to come here".

kek

how this dude ever got depressed enough to an hero is beyond me

he hated himself for it bro
pretty clear from hideous men

You reckless mongoloid. I wasn't attacking your cock-worshipped litdaddy, I was pointing out what wouldn't fly in today's scandal-happy culture.

And that's just some of it. He also seriously intended to kill Mary Karr's husband and, worst of all, he got her name tattooed on his bicep before they even kissed (so I can see how you might relate to him).

well then he's a diminutive piece of shit who never deserved fame in the first place

was he autistic?

Yep, only incels can be depressed to the point of suicide

He must have had his brain fucked on SSRI:s given out like candy by medical practitioners

I thought IJ was pretty funny, the Eschaton chapter especially had me actually laughing as I read the book

>Doesn't matter cause the average humanities student in the year of our lord 2017 has neither the mental capacity nor the attention span for anything beyond YA that has been vetted to hell and back by 'sensitivity readers'.

Adults reading YA is like teens still reading children's books

i disagree

Why why why? Mary Karr is a dumb cunt, is why. His students were dumb cunts. YOU HAVE TO BE 18 TO BE ON THIS WEBSITE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Something tells me you're the guy you're replying to

Will I, someone who has no interest in reading IJ cover to cover, find it funny reading it in isolation?

Probably? It's been a few years since I read it, I'm not sure how self-contained it is. Some of the humor I remember being from Pemulus' character.

The fila suit always gets me

(Big if true)

He pushed someone who got in his face

If you find the following funny:

>I do things like get in a taxi and say, The library, and step on it.

>I was surprised, in general, with the intensity of violence in his personality.

The bios author in this article
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/david-foster-wallace-genius-fabulist-would-be-murderer/261997/