Norse Mythology

What do you guys think of Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology? I personally think it is the most readable retelling of the eddas. Do you have any suggestions on the subjects of Celtic or Norse mythology?

My next venture will be Celtic Mythology by Ward Rutherford.

It looks like american trash.

The Tain translated by Kinsella is fun. Heaney's also translated a few tales (Buile Suibne/Mad Sweeney for instance). A lot of English versions of Celtic stories make them sound much more dull than they are, especially if written by an English person.

He's British, but popular in the states (he wrote American Gods, which is a TV show I think).

I'll have to check out The Tain. I agree about the english authors being somewhat dull.

It's so terrible

Lady Gregory was, and still is, the best for Irish mythology

If you're a literary revival fan, sure. If not, it's the butt of a few jokes. She did a lot of research but she also stuck to the idea of retellings so it's not as close to tradition in some ways while keeping it in other ways.

Things that get mocked about sean nos tellings in At Swim Two Birds for instance would completely escape a Gregory reader because she doesn't follow the same form; some of her retelling being THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST gets mocked by Joyce too, but that's just because the awareness of the rest of the stories gets drowned out by her retellings.

I don't particularly like her retellings, but then I don't like a lot of the Literary Revival crowd, and prefer the Language Revival crowd who didn't always see to eye-to-eye.

elaborate.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of literary revival, and admittedly I see Gaiman's lack of deeper understanding of the myths. It seems to be just a straight retelling of it. If he approaches the havamal i'll be impressed. (I'm only about halfway through the book)

I refuse to read this because it's probably Kiked nonsense.

>american
>He's British
He's jewish.

Read some Kevin Crossley-Holland and call it a day.

Why is a jew writing about Norse Mythology? And I thought Gaiman was a fiction writer.

Back to /pol/ Tardo. You have to have read a book to post here.

Why is a tard posting in Veeky Forums?

Do you know how weird you look when you get upset by someone merely pointing out that an author is Jewish?

Do you know how stupid you look when you say someone's not American or British, He's Jewish, and then try to pretend you aren't a /pol/tard?

>It would get very confusing when people would ask my religion as a kid. I'd say, 'I'm a Jewish Scientologist.'" Gaiman says that he is not a Scientologist, and that like Judaism, Scientology is his family's religion. About his personal views, Gaiman has stated, "I think we can say that God exists in the DC Universe.

He's a jew, and like most jews he's a fedora.
So anything he writes can be discounted instantly, regardless of your political leanings.

You don't believe that the identity of a Jew living in America or Britain is exactly the same thing as what people mean when they imagine a typical American or Briton. I won't pretend I believe it either. It doesn't mean I hate Jews and want them gassed. Grow up.

Can you /leftypol/ losers come up with any reply to anything other than ‘read a book’? Do you think that it’s clever or witty? You’re pathetic, desu.

You're a /pol/tard, and like mosy /pol/tards you have nothing of value to say. All you can do is expose your general stupidity and brain-damaged outlook. Back to /pol/, Tardo.

You aren't even making sense. Are you drunk, high, or just crazy? Or all three?

It's not my fault you're stupid.

>tard
Watch the Ableist hate speech there, user, or I’ll have no choice but to report you to the Redd/lit/ moderation team for promoting a toxic and unsafe environment.

>this is the sort of person that has the gall to claim /pol/ is the cause of declining post quality on Veeky Forums

I'm not even mad. I hate Neil Gaiman. It's too easy to get Jews to do the work for me in Gaiman threads. All you have to do is bring up the fact that he's Jewish. Their neuroticism will take care of the rest.

t. /pol/tard struggling to think of something witty

You're the sort of person that belongs on /b/ or /pol/ or /duh/. You just stink up a nice board like Veeky Forums. Scurry away.

Whiter than you, Browny. :^)

It absolutely is. Until one of you faggots posts the top 100 books on r/books again.

Not him, but you jews/jewish defenders are the ones who really shit this place up. You have nothing to offer and repeat the same phrase.

You're probably more Jewish than I am, Jake.

viva la RAZA baby. as if only whites are capable of hating Neil Gaiman.

White guy: 3
/pol/tards: 0

/thread

Read sorcery and religon in ancient scandinavia and then read the eddas. Literally anything else is a waste of time.

OP here, i have read varg's book and enjoyed it. never realized gaiman was a jew, but that would explain the obfuscation of the deeper meaning of the stories. He does trivialize it.

Pretty crap, just bland retellings of old myths with any of Gaiman's typical charm.

*without

>leftist tries to meme
>wall of text
every single time

That is a truly terrible meme. No doubt made by a kike.

These are the people derailing Veeky Forums discussions with /pol/ shitposting

It's revisionist garbage.

Do you know how weird you look when you randomly bring up someone's religious background in a discussion that has nothing to do with that?

>why are you telling me to read a book on the Veeky Forums board? Do you think you're clever and witty?

Jesus Christ, fucking kill yourself.

Imagine if you mentioned what his favourite food was
What would that have to do with the discussion?

You jews are so predictable.

>someone makes an argument about how foolish you are behaving
>call them a Jew
I can't match this 4D strategic planning

Read through the thread. Almost every derailment, including yours, has come from a /leftypol/ faggot.

The poetic eddas are already readable if you're not a retard. What's wrong with them? The answer is "nothing" so there's no point in even replying to me.

t. blind guy

>most readable retelling of the eddas.
That would be the actual eddas.

>every derailment
This thread was derailed when some troglodyte, you I assume, started bleating "but he's a j00!"

The first derailment was , you I assume, who started frothing at the mouth when someone calmly pointed out that Gaiman was a Jew. Why, I wonder?

Please see
And learn to read and count

Well, let's see. You could read Heimskringla, Burnt Njal, The Danish History by Saxo, Beowulf, Fargrskinna, Myths of the Norsemen From the Eddas and Sagas 1909 Guerber, if you're interested in Norse stuff. Should all be freely available on the net.

Just go back to /pol/ and the thread will magically right itself, Adolph.

Oh, btw, that was someone else. There's usually more than one sane person on Veeky Forums who doesn't like the smell of /pol/. Phew!

We did it reddit!

kill yourself

>I'm just calmly pointing out something unrelated to the discussion
But, why?

white genocide might actaully be a good thing after all

The real question is, "Why do /pol/tards try to pretend not to be /pol/tards?" You'd think they'd be proud of it in some brain-damaged way. Serious question. Anyone?

>This whole thread
Americans are truely dumbed down subhumans.

What makes you think they're Americans, Paco?

>Paco
That's how I know you're American

Why do you assume everyone who knows about and brings up the negative influence of jews is from there? Do you realize how mainstream the JQ is now? I was redpilled about it before I even knew what /pol/ was and it's likely that there are a number of people here who have been redpilled recently without the assistance of /pol/, through the growing awareness of the alt right, or as a result of the Culture of Critique's induction into the expanded meme trilogy this year. May there be a reason you're lagging behind?

kek

Why do people chimp the fuck out as soon as someone is identified as Jewish? Bizarre.

Why do /pol/tards get mad when people identify them? :^)

>Why do people chimp out as soon as someone wont shutup about what someone likes to eat? Bizarre. Whats wrong with going on and on about an unrelated matter and forcing it to be the centre of attention?

Consult infamous Goebbles quote about why. Part of being jewish involves being a crypto and blending in with the host. They freak out when they're called out.

>Why do /pol/tards get mad when people identify them? :^)
I don't know.

>Why do people chimp out as soon as someone wont shutup about what someone likes to eat?
They do?
>forcing it to be the centre of attention
He literally just corrected someone else.

newfag

Are you honestly suggesting that a person's cultural background doesn't inform their writing at all? Pointing out that he's Jewish is very relevant. It's insane how viscerally some of you are reacting at a very sensible observation, derailing the entire discussion to being about /pol/.

>Look at me! I can argue in bad faith! Tee hee! Aren't I wickedly clever, daddy?

Are you okay? Because you're not really speaking as if you're of sound mind.

Belligerent American progressives are by far the worst thing about Veeky Forums.

Are you honestly suggesting that a persons eating habits doesn't inform their writing at all?
We need to redirect this thread, formerly about Gaimans book on Norse Mythology and translations of said myth, to my own personal interests about what he prefers to eat for breakfast.

>Are you honestly suggesting that a persons eating habits doesn't inform their writing at all?
yes

found the bluepilled faggot

found the retard

lmao that the /pol/tards are so butthurt that they go on and on whining when no one is even here to laugh at them. geez what a bunch of pathetic pussies.

deeper meaning...?

Look at this brainwashed cucked
Doesn't know about the Culinary Protocols of the Elder Chefs

??

Just read the Edda in New Norwegian.

Prose or Poetic Edda first and for what reason?

It's made by one of your red-pilled woke compatriots actually

>leftist tries to meme
>it's derivative shit
I've never seen such a useless group of people

F

Wait this is just a straight retelling? I thought this cunt was putting hjs own spin on it.

Ugh. At least I have my original Flight of the Volsungs.

Strong leg muscles on this specimen.