What is Your Favorite Bible Verse?

I'm new to Veeky Forums. It seems many of you are Christians. How accurate would that be? It seems like it to me and I freaking love it. I don't know if this is a cliche thread but (see subject) and why that specific verse?

Mine is Psalm 18:2 (DRC Bible):

"The heavens shew forth the glory of God, and the firmament declareth the work of his hands."

I like this one because I am studying Mathematics in college and I see the beauty of nature expressed by science and math, beauty that is of God's work.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 137:1
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down and yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.

This verse was in the front cover of a copy of crime and punishment.
>John 12 24-25
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal."

ezekiel 16

John 11:35
Jesus wept.

that's not a verse that's a chapter

20 Moreover thou hast taken thy sons and thy daughters, whom thou hast borne unto me, and these hast thou sacrificed unto them to be devoured. Is this of thy whoredoms a small matter,
21 That thou hast slain my children, and delivered them to cause them to pass through the fire for them?

Ezekiel 23:20
There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

69Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee. 70But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest. 71And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth. 72And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man. 73And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee. 74Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew. 75And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

Isa. 21:11b-12a "Watchman, what of the night? Watchman, what of the night? The watchman said, The morning cometh, and also the night."

Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher,
vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
3 What does man gain by all the toil
at which he toils under the sun?
4 A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and goes around to the north;
around and around goes the wind,
and on its circuits the wind returns.
7 All streams run to the sea,
but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
there they flow again.
8 All things are full of weariness;
a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
nor the ear filled with hearing.
9 What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there a thing of which it is said,
“See, this is new”?
It has been already
in the ages before us.
11 There is no remembrance of former things,
nor will there be any remembrance
of later things yet to be
among those who come after.

I'm not even Christian.

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

>cant decide which i like more

John 1:4-5
"In him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

I have passed out of mind like one who is dead; I have become like a broken vessel.
—Psalm 31:12

Don't take verses out of context.

LOL upboated :^)

>Does the clay say to the potter,
‘What are you making?’

matthew 3:11

LELELEDDIT

LOL get it, Jesus didn't tell everyone to conform to modern arbitrary moral standards so Christianity is STUPID

Sirah 41:24 Of theft, and of the truth of God, and the covenant: of leaning with thy elbow over meat, and of deceit in giving and taking:

That's a good one. Heisenberg believed that the forms seen at the quantum level were the work of God.
That verse is beautiful and true. I see both right-wing atheists and left-wing atheists try to use it to shame Christians. I'll leave it to someone else to speculate on the psychology at work there.
Peter is a useful guide to us all. My priest talked tonight at vespers about how so often in life he's felt like Peter-- so energized and sure of himself, yet falling short. We see with Peter though, he followed Christ to the end, giving up his life for God.
Patrician for choosing a verse that some people wouldn't want to post for it being "too obvious". I love John 1 and Genesis 1.

I don't know if I have a favorite verse right now, but this is the first one I thought of:

6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
(James 3)

Can you provide context please???? The rationalizations always amuse me.

I liked the part where god killed off all the first born children, shit was cray

I was also once a middleschooler

OP here, how interesting! I didn't even know that. On the topic of scientist, did you know that it was a Catholic priest, George Lemaitre that theorized the Big Bang?

>And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

Matt 25:40

Brothers K, but yeah, great verse

Fred Hoyle coined the term "Big Bang", a way of belittling the theory. The term eventually caught on and he spent the rest of his life trying to disprove it.

They don't need to be rationalized. They mean what they mean, no interpretation required. If you want to know why Paul or Peter believe those things, well you'll just have to read those epistles for yourself.

I definitely don't disagree with this.

James chapter 2 is my favorite, verse 18:

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith.

I'm legitimately having problems with this verse. Please assist.

I did. Here's another good verse along those lines (math/QM/creation):

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.
(Hebrews 11)

A better way to understand it is in terms of Logos and logoi, as put forward by St Maximos the Confessor.

if you love your worldly, fleshy life (living of the world) you will be dead (eternal suffering). If you hate your worldly, fleshy life (living in the world) you will have eternal life.

Don't live for now, but for the life to come. Let the thought of where you want to end up in eternity dictate your life.

This concept of self-denial is found in different language in other passages, such as laying up treasures in heaven and not on earth.

Beat me to it

I'm not religious, but the Bible has some killer passages:
From The First Epistle to the Corinthians

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels,
And have not charity,
I am become as sounding brass,
Or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy,
And understand all mysteries, and all knowledge;
And though I have all faith,
So that I could remove mountains,
And have not charity,
I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor,
And though I give my body to be burned,
And have not charity,
It profiteth me nothing.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind;
Charity envieth not;
Charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Doth not behave itself unseemly,
Seeketh not her own.

Is not easily provoked,
Thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things,
Believeth all things,
Hopeth all things,
Endureth all things.

Charity never faileth:
But whether there be prophecies, they shall fail;
Whether there be tongues, they shall cease;
Whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

- Paul of Tarsus
(translation by Lancelot Andrewes, about 1611)

Before the throne there was a sea of glass, like crystal. And in the midst of the throne, and around the throne, were four living creatures full of eyes in front and in back. The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: “Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!”
Revelation 4:6, 8 NKJV
I like this one because of the clear insanity that is consistently apparent in the Christian religion. Four abominations who ceaselessly cry out praise to the God that created their horrid nature.

I don't think they're necessarily abominations or horrid

Ezekiel 5:10-17

Imagine reading that and not loving it. The parallel passage in Isaiah 6 is awesome too:

1 In the year King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up. The house was full of His glory. 2 Around Him stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one cried to another and said, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory."

Use your imagination, they are covered in eyes all around to gaze upon God's self proclaimed glory and have six wings attached to them as I presume to be created out of malevolent intentions, because only two are required, what is the purpose of six? Which logically speaking cannot even function.

You'll have to be more clear as to why you enjoy god's self-absorbed, doublethink nature.

>Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours; Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours; And ye are Christ’s; and Christ is God’s.
1 Cor. 3:21-23
Christ gave us so much!
Jesus is the corn of wheat who had to die that we might live.
Isaiah’s theophany is incredible. Good taste.

>implying it's not allegory

there is nothing new under the sun

The opening of the gospel of John

Leviticus 25:44-46a

As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves.

>muh context
The context is the holiness collection, statutes delivered at Mt Sinai to Moses, laying out how Israelites should live to ensure their holiness since God wants his covenant people to be holy like him. This is associated with God's presence among the Israelites, initially at the Tabernacle and later in the Temple. These are regulations for how to live and they are unequivocally meant to be good, the new covenant didn't retroactively make them evil. This is God's instruction delivered in his own voice to the leader he selecterd for his chosen people.

John 15:13 - "13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

And.

Revelation 22:13 - "13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”

Epic!

John 13:34

"Unto you I give a new command: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."