Co-workers start talking about literature and books

>co-workers start talking about literature and books

>have you read the fault on our stars user?

i look down on anyone that reads books for a entertainment, for pleasure

reading is for gaining seeing new perspectives, paradigm shifts in thought, leading a better life with more understanding

>unironically thinking books books do this past 18 yo

Is this a Hollywood meme on Lit? For shame!

This literally happened to me today, fuck me I just wanted rip my ears off

>mfw someone is being a normie around me

>do you know the book 1984?
honest question a twenty one year old line cook asked me the other day after we were mentioning the cameras in the kitchen

I really am quite interested in hearing how that played out.

this should be a bannable offense

>He hasn't started with the Greeks
>He hasn't resumed with the Romans
>He hasn't continued with the Christians
>He hasn't reascended with the Renaissance
>He hasn't engaged with the Enlightment
>He hasn't relished the Romantics
>He hasn't reaffirmed with the Realists
>He hasn't moved into Modernism
>He hasn't progressed with the post-modernists
>He hasn't ascended past the individual and carries with him the sum knowledge, art and experiences of Western civilization
>He thinks books can't affect you
>He probably reads for fun

>starting with the GAYreeks

>starting with the greeks
>not going with the greeks

this is retarded

you cant objectively assign purpose to something like this. And couldn't you say that seeing new perspectives, paradigm shifts in thought, leading a better life with more understanding is pleasurable?

>omg, Trump presidency is LITERALLY "1984"

>He hasn't ascended past the individual...
so, basically, skip everything prior to this and start with the Hindus/Buddhists?
Or do you still need Greeks=>post-modernists for reference?

>co-workers start spouting memes irl

>Your typical genre fic reader

>He hasn't returned to Sumerians yet

>anons start talking about literature and books

>not stopping at Romanticism

Some guy asked me about 1984 at work a few years ago, i assumed he was talking about the book and asked him if he read it, and he said he had only seen the film.

Realism has produced dreadful effects in Western European literature and in America, it's true, but modernism shouldn't be ignored. Especially concerning it's, uh, "godlike" reputation on Veeky Forums

>tfw i'm so starved of real-world literary discussion that sometimes I spend more on a book by buying it at my local Barnes and Nobel just to casually chat with the cashier about books

Berlin, Alexanderplatz was quite the experience. The ending left me very astounded!

>mfw i went to a modern art museum and the art there had pepes on it and they were playing the never come down donald trump meme song on big screens

That's a joke.

Ahh, what do you like man? Whats your area code?

I live on the East Coast of the US. I'm not a friendless loner, I just don't know anyone irl who's into literary fiction. It's why I come on Veeky Forums

I do that also.

I also go out of my way to return library books as soon as I finish them, just to be there, even though I could easily do it on my way to work etc.

modern art is a joke, but i doubt most of the visitors got the references anyways

i enjoy understanding things more

>coworker near me starts talking about Paulo Coehlo
>hate Coehlo but seems like coworker likes Coehlo
>pretend to like Coehlo
>turns out coworker actually hates Coehlo and asks me why I like him
>mumble out some shit answer about finding yourself
>coworker says it doesnt even sound like I've read Coehlo before
>mumble about how I sometimes am bad at comprehension
>coworker looks at me wierdly and leaves the room

all of this is entertainment just like movies no more no less

>i look down on anyone that reads books for a entertainment, for pleasure
True patrician here. If reading isn't painful/boring, you're doing it wrong.

and if you all think you're above anyone by thinking more "deeply" because you've read a few philosophy books you're literally a sub 80 IQ

If you don't enjoy reading don't read. If you read to think you're above "normies" you're the stupid one. If your brain doesn't understand philosophy in a pleasurable way you should just stick to washing dishes at your local pizza hut

It never fails to amuse me when autists fail to register sarcasm.

Is that from Seinfeld?

honestly I try not be elitist but it is frustrating that my reading habits/tastes tend to be so different from my coworkers. I'm fine with people reading YA, it just means I can't really connect with most people who read as a hobby and it'd be nice to have more people to discuss books with.

oh well.

basically we lamented the fact that we are constantly under surveillance, or are possibly so, and then debated about how much use the cameras actually get, as in: does some body actually review the tapes? or only when the managers are hear and upstairs might some body actually be watching? we decided it was probably some mixture of the two: the head chef definitely checks the cameras when he is in, but probably only goes through the recorded footage if he wants to check up on a particular person or account for some singular event, like the time he was convinced somebody took a whole $30 desert out of the freezer. then we basically just got into talking about how we wished we'd bought big into btc back in 2010 so that we wouldn't be flipping cheeseburgers and dropping chicken wings for a living now

it was a really pleasant surprise actually. working in kitchens, you don't get to many readers and some of the older guys get really truly disgusting after a couple decades of such servility, but this kid (I'm almost ten years older than him) actually does try to read, although he does probably mostly watches netflix and smokes kush after work. I recommended him PKD tho. if he follows up on that I'll be tres stoked

this is literal comedy gold

>girl starts talking to me about books
>says she loves john green and some woman
>she asks me if i like reading
>tell her im reading demons by dostoyevsky
>"is that a series?"

>user, you read literature? isn't that assigned reading in highschool? lol
>I just finished reading exit west and it was so amazing! did you like it user?

Maybe get him to read about the concept of Panopticon coz that is what you people are grumbling about in the first place

Which museum

I would say that I look down on anyone who thinks like this... but I'm not an insecure little dick bag
Sort yourself out user

Who are your top 3 favorite writers?

>Work as a sales rep for a paint company that sells out of a big box retail store
>Like to lord my literary superiority over the mostly uneducated retail workers I deal with
>Female associate mentions reading Bronte sisters, Lolita, and the works of Mary Shelley

I'm afraid she's more well-read than I am and my arrogant facade has been destroyed

if I threw Foucault I don't think it would stick

recommended PKD so I could drop "Minority Report" and "Blade Runner" if he came up blank

reading should be bannable.

you forgot jerry, bumblefuck

>female writers
Nabokov is prime Veeky Forumscore though.

Astrup Fearnley in Oslo.

>coworker talking about wanting to read more
>i lend him my copy of my favourite book
>some time after ask what he thinks of it so far
>"sorry user i lost it :^)"

>didn't immediately tell him that he's giving you money for that book he lost and then making sure to follow through and collect on it even if it ruins any niceness between the two of you

he punked you bro.

>i look down on anyone that reads books for a entertainment, for pleasure

read that as bananable at first LOL

post kitchen sex tape

excellent
keep doing this and report back plz

Looks like you need to read Ecclesiastes

This isn't even worse than people saying "just like that movie "idiocracy"" when they are themselves naive retards. 1984 is a close second

God I hate those of you who can't relate to the average person. How hard is it to have a meaningful conversation with someone about a topic you care about, even if you don't think they are "on your level?"
Like fuck, talk about Harry Potter or the fault in our stars or something. It's not hard. Socialize people.

why would i want to lower myself so i can properly talk with the dregs of society

You. Are. The. Dregs.

This is a hilarious opinion and typical ideology of the flyover rube who thinks everything should be about community and stability. "Why don't you just talk to someone?" the Trump voting /pol/tard exclaims. Some of us are better than everyone else, and we aware that this is the case from our extensive dialogues with the moron plebs. They don't understand literature, they don't understand philosophy, they'll never understand high art like the opera. These people are peasants, and should be treated as such. Deal with it, idiot.

Did you just call me a trump voter?
My point was that you may find that just because someone hasn't read as many books as you they could still have the raw intellect required to engage in discourse. Plus it gives you an opportunity to impress the uneducated with your brilliance, as long as you aren't an obnoxious Veeky Forumserati.
>some of us are better than everyone else
Literally, you aren't. You take shits, you forget things, you make fallacies, and you will die leaving nothing of any real value. You are an edgelord.

:^ )
fucking retard

This.

stop projecting user, its not good for you

> Plus it gives you an opportunity to impress the uneducated with your brilliance
Your narcissism is showing

>He probably reads for fun
I read FOR GREAT JUSTICE

because the dregs of society are most certainly more knowledgeable than you on everything not related to the last three YA novels you read

said the guy posting on Veeky Forums

>Co-worker asks me if I've read War and Peace
>Yeah sure, ask him who is his favorite character
>Natasha
>mfw

holy fucking shit

>Coehlo
>Coehlo
>Coehlo
>Coehlo

are you doing this on purpose

>New co-worker says she likes to read; say I do, too
>Ask what she likes; she says stuff like Harry Potter and Hunger Games and then she asks me what I like
>Say I like older classics
>She opens her eyes wide and says "oooooh" while waving her hands mockingly

>things that never happened

muh Kenoshian Kid

>he fell for the Occidental/Oriental meme
Try again user, this time actually read the Greeks.

It really did, though. She was kind of a dork.

You mean because she actually read those books?

Who's your favorite character, user?

>she wants to fuck