What language is best suited for literature and/or poetry? English?

What language is best suited for literature and/or poetry? English?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BpwH0i0l0po
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_poetry
twitter.com/AnonBabble

French desu
Now that I'm thinking about it how does Chinese poetry even work?

for poetry, anything with stressed syllables
>ya need rhythm son
so english and german are two examples

Italian for poetry
Russian, danish, and french for literature

French; and Italian for poetry, because it has a lot of rhythm. I can't think of a lot of good Italian poetry that makes it worth learning the language though.

God mode: Russian, but let's face it, you won't ever be fluent, and its very difficult to learn pronunciation and cyrillic (actually reading it at normal speed).

Poetry: Latin/Italian
Epics: Homeric Greek
Theater: Attic Greek
Religion: Koine Greek
Philosophy: German
General Non-Fic: English
General Fiction: French

Khazar Milkers

>spend months learning ancient greek
>I can now understand all the great classics of literature!
>study homer in awe
>try to read sophocles
>wtfisthis.txt
>try to read plato
>wat
>try to read koine
>what the fuck
>mfw spend weeks and weeks on workbooks
>too stupid to realize the difference between dialects

whichever one you understand. probably english due to it being so universal. if you think language makes a difference in understanding the meaning behind the words then i feel bad for you. spergs that say otherwise are just gatekeeping and desperate for attention. poetry autists that care about muh rhythm or muh meter need to fuck off and listen to art music instead where things like counterpoint and voice leading actually exist and matter but of course they're too stupid for that. and liking a language for its aesthetics alone is the pinnacle of superficiality in a medium that is capable of conveying so much. if a poem is "bad" in english but supposedly great in russian or french then it's a shitty poem. and i realize that some things for example rhyme in one language but not in another but who the fuck cares about rhyming, jesus christ humans are such vapid wayward pieces of shit.

learning a language to communicate with others or consume untranslated media is absolutely fine but that much should go without saying.

if you learn attic, homeric is still a bit of a slog but there's only so many texts to work through, and koine is a breeze.

greek is fucking hard though
t. anglet

>meter doesn't meaningfully affect poetry
you're a dumb

some user posted this, and i think latin is GOAT for poetry
youtube.com/watch?v=BpwH0i0l0po

>tfw the dissemination of English has caused it to surpass all of the others
>tfw English Homer is better than the Greek

>if you think language makes a difference in understanding the meaning behind the words
Incredibly stupid

good stuff
>tfw no latin-speaking commune

This is a stupid question because speakers of different languages will formulate their own poetic forms that work best for their own language.

French poetry > all

Spanish also depends in stressed syllables, man.

have you studied more than one language?
i'm a native english speaker and i'll readily admit the poverty of the language. it's inelegant. good for nursery rhymes and rap music, but nothing transcendent like a florentine canzone or even a french alexandrin

it's not as good as latin (case system = flexibility)
french is a great poetic language though

I got 20/20 for Latin in grade 12 user, so I know better ok?

>mommy mommy milky milky
>and so on and so on

Seeings pretty girls like this just makes me sad. Thanks OP.

Egyptian Hieroglyphics

> I can't think of a lot of good Italian poetry that makes it worth learning the language though.
Because you're talking out of your ass lol
I posted that in /class/. Notice how the guy reading the poem is an Italian. We have a natural affinity for poetry.

Any language, if you're a decent writer to begin with.

The alphabet is the easiest part about learning Russian. Phonetics too; for me at least, having as mother tongue a romance language which was cucked by Russian for centuries, enough to leave a mark on the phonetic system. I can see how that would be harder for Anglos though. But cyrillic can be learned in a day and you can read speedily in a week before you even have any idea what you're reading.

It's true, dummy. You didn't even understand what he's saying.

Why that would be Hebrew, of course!

Khazaric.
Sorry.

Except it’s not true. Meter and language does matter. Poetry is not just about “the meaning behind the words.”

chinese poetry is similar, but more terse

they can convey more complete ideas in shorter verses

speech can sound rough, but poetry and singing is very nice for this very reason. there is a lot less contorting grammar to fit the meter

is that ben shapiro's sister or smth

China has a very long history of poetic develop
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_poetry

Romanian?

Hungarian for poetry

>can use qualitative and quantitative meter without raping the language
>can do both in the some poem
>sound of words reflect the qualities of its meaning more often than other languages I know
>Flexible grammar
>rich literary history

Yeah

I had a friend in a class who looked exactly like this woman, she was annoying as hell.

So, that would be pretty much all European languages after the antiquity.

Every language developed its own poetic forms that fit that language. Comparing them is pointless.

This is why when somebody mentione the word polytropos everyone loses their shit and flings shit to each other?

german obviously since they can express more stuff with the complete toolbox that this language offers without using metaphors. hahaahahhahaa

lol I never said it didn't

I just threw out examples

I guess I ought to correct myself by saying, "stressed syllables is one aspect for a certain language to make good poetry"

>Russian, but let's face it, you won't ever be fluent, and its very difficult to learn pronunciation and cyrillic (actually reading it at normal speed).
Try harder.

>if you think language makes a difference in understanding the meaning behind the words then i feel bad for you
Shitty translations sure do though.

I'm a native Russian speaker and I disagree.

The one that you understand. Translating poetry is usually difficult, sometimes impossible, and always deviates from the poet's original vision.

>inb4 muh french (muh paris, muh wine, muh accordion music)
>inb4 muh italian (muh wine, muh fiery love, muh old sunny towns)
Oh, in after actually.

arabic is patrician tier for poetry

>language x can't use forms created by and for languages y and z
What a revelation
Pro tip: every edgelord thinks their native language is shitty

This. Arabic poetry is underrated.

>there are people living right now that genuinely belive this

Depends on the poetry, for instance stuff like Haiku is obviously better when done in Japanese. That being said, the answer is very likely not English.

Khazra milkies?

>French
when will this meme die

KHAZARS MILKER

>God mode: Russian
Feels good to be born god. Honestly, I have never had any trouble learning it, it just came to me naturally. If anything, English seems hard to me with all those spelling rules and exceptions to them borrowed from a gorillion different languages.

Arabic does seem aesthetic. How hard to learn is it? Thinking of of learning Russian and something else. Initially though of Polish but gave it some more thought and realized Polish is simply retarded.

>if a poem is "bad" in english but supposedly great in russian or french then it's a shitty poem.

Although this is not an absolute truth (certain poems rely heavily on sound, and derive much of their beauty from sound effects - Blake's The Tiger, for example, or the lyrics of Chico Burque, the great brazilian composer and songwriter) I have to agree with you that this opinion is largely an unconfortable truth. Congrats for your courageous post (a shitstorm was sure to come, and I know you knew it).

Shakespeare, translated into my native language, Portuguese, continues to be a master, his language continues to be beautiful, and superior to all Portuguese-language poets I know. The same happens with Homer, and with Aeschylus.

But Pushkin - whose art, I read, depends very much on the naturalness of the rhymes and their sound - is terribly mediocre in Portuguese. I tried to read it in English too and the same thing happens. Blake's Tiger loses a lot in translation (in terms of sonority), but the bold metaphors are still there: even in translation it's a meaningful poem. The same is true of Dante's translations (a poet which personally I dont like, though I admire him): even a translation made in free-verse to as different a language as English will offer several beautiful verses. (Pindar, on the other hand, is a great mediocrity when translated into free verses - I can not say that he is really a poet of genius).

When that happens (the work of a poet loses everything in translation and becomes almost like a Facebook post made by a teenager - think of Robert Burns) I simply can not say that this poet is a great poet. More than rhyme and rhythm the imagery, the metaphors and similes, are what make a great poet great.

And I too find that is a stupid thing what pedants do when they exaggerate the sounds of the written words - when analyzing the rhythms of a poem - saying that the "music of poetry" is the most important thing of the artform (as if poetry coud ever be as musical as music itself). No, this is completely wrong: the content of the poem will always be more important than it's sonority. If you want to be a great poet, you willdo better by trying hard to creat new,bold and iluminating metaphors than by trying tomakeyour poem echo the soundof waves, or flutes, or the winds, or thunder.

If a poem is translated accurately, in free-verse (that is, not sacrificing its content to save the rhymes and fill the metric), with each word equivalent to the original, and in this transmutation it becomes mediocre, then the poem itself was nothing extraordinary.

That is actually a good way to see if your poetry is A + in quality: imagine it in translation, and see if it would still be remarkable and striking

>months
what the hell are you complaining about?

what the fuck is she doing in this gif? Acting? fake laughing? singing or something? Cringe

>God mode: Russian
Oh look, it’s another loser shilling their own language out of insecurity. I wonder which country you’re from.
>natural affinity
Imagine being so insecure about your country’s literature that you have to hold cringey tribalist opinions such as this.
Awesome list! I’d be impressed if you could somehow make it even more pretentious and contrarian, though.
Such a dreadful opinion, you must be a teenage reader of poetry with that kind of a sweeping nonsense statement. People who are actually are fluent in multiple European languages aren’t so easily wooed by ‘muh elegance’ and can see there’s great potential and beauty in pretty much all of them.

Also I’m not an ‘Anglo’ before anyone tries to defend their embarrassing opinions by slinging that dull old slur at me.

She is trying to sing but the guy behind the camera is wearing a funny mask

good post

But some languages lack the grammatical rules necessary to convey the ideas of an author, but these posts are good.

Poetry in Ancient Greek sounds the best to me, but I don't understand the words, and I don't think anyone composes in this language anymore.

Persian also sounds good to me acoustically, but I don't know the language. I'm too lazy to learn it.

So I guess it's English for me.

>Oh look, it’s another loser shilling their own language out of insecurity. I wonder which country you’re from.
Probably not one where knowledge of Russian is common.

To Russians reading the Cyrillic alphabet is as natural as breathing, so they assume that for foreigners learning Cyrillic is as easy as memorising the primer, which is not really the case if you are aiming for reading texts at a useful speed.

The knowledge about the pains of acquisition of Cyrillic is too specific for a Russian to know about.

so the fact that you don't understand the languages increases the beauty? I think you are just too blind to the beauty of English because when one truly pays attention to English, it is extremely beautiful. Even walking down the street listening to people talk is very beautiful, and the speaker rarely knows what they are doing.

Sanksrit is great to shout things that ought to be learned by heart

"Think what you're dealing with. The majesty and grandeur of the English language, it's the greatest possession we have. The noblest thoughts that ever flowed through the hearts of men are contained in its extraordinary, imaginative, and musical mixtures of sounds."

Found the patrician.

It's English and it's not even close, but I wouldn't be surprised if American passes it soon.

>they're going to think I'm memeing...

Yeah this dude knows. Take a look at Archie Barnes' Chinese Through Poetry.
>Teaching ancient Chinese to the plebs.

But seriously, you mixed-race mulattoes, the secret is quite simple: it's the poetry written in the language of your ancestors, which you ought to be able to understand and appreciate at the very least...

Ottomann obviously

harabad ehline duzah azabın anma ey zahid
ki onlar ibn-i vakt oldu gam-ı ferdayı bilmezler

>People saying French
As a French, this proves once again that Veeky Forumsards don't know anything about what they're talking about.

English is probably the most interesting language. What other tongue has words of that range such varieties of sound? Where else can you hear such wacky and outrageous assortments of sounds such as "discombobulate", "flummoxed", "blubber", "hogwash", "pompous", ""dollop", "cantankerous", "debauchery", "festooned", "shrub" and "nincompoop" in addition to such beauteous words as "diaphanous", "embrocation", "apricity", "assemblage", "demure", "ebullience", "opulent", "ephemeral", "brood", "limpid", "sumptuous", "redolent", "lithe" and "desultory".

Explain

It's just the typical linguistic self-hate. Ask people on Veeky Forums about their native language and 95% will say that it is shitty or the best language ever. These "judgements" are completely subjective and impressionistic (hurr me like how this language sounds), most people here don't know jack shit about actual linguistics.

I tried explaining morphology to someone once and their eyes just glazed over. You can actually see their brain turning off.

>tfw no pixar tier jewish tummy mummy milk machine gf

i luv dose tiddies

All languages are suited for poetry because the power comes in structure that conveys meaning rather than mere 'lyricism'

>the power comes in structure
eek, get Michel Foucault in here!

>The knowledge about the pains of acquisition of Cyrillic is too specific for a Russian to know about.
What is so damn hard about it?

who is this goddess?

I'd say some opera singer

Chines is god tier: millenia-old tradition, characters involve a very different flow of information during speech comprehension, using both hemispheres of the brain rather than just the left ; Chinese is always ambiguous while being very evocative and visual.
As an old copy pasta once said:

1/ Read the Daodejing
2/ Compare all available translations
3/ ????
4/ Profit!

French is way too verbose and never gets to the point.
Overrated.
The sound is ok I guess, but as a mean of expression it's not as razor sharp as German, for instance, which sounds like shit but is the absolute best for philosophy and engineering stuff, for instance.
English is ok.

I should also stop saying for instance, for instance.

>people saying French
Dandies OUT

Probably French for prose.
Italian and Latin for poetry.

>I can't think of a lot of good Italian poetry that makes it worth learning the language though
Because you don't know Italian, I guess. If you did, you wouldn't say that. The 20th century is a goldmine for Italian poetry.

Italian and Latin (at least when Italian is purified from regional cadence) sound exactly the same.

C
H
I
N
E
S
E

>rich literary history
like wut

>grr me angry person

The similarity of half the characters to the latin alphabet can make it difficult to read at a fast pace, but this can be fixed by actually reading (nobody does this part).

Case system does not equal flexibility you dense faggot.

Portuguese is great for music desu

Not knowing about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist f am

you are or should really be asking:
"What CULTURE has the richest tradition of literature and/or poetry?"