Recent purchases

Show us your latest buys and rate others'.

Kafka - Metamorphosis, The Castle & The Trial
Achebe - Things fall apart
Conrad - Heart of Darkness
Remarque - All Quiet on the Western Front
Dostojevskij - The Gambler
Pynchon . The Crying Lot of 49

Just started reading again after a long break, and a couple of the books are for my dad.

Why is a computer chip the cover art for TCoL49?

>Algernon Blackwood - Short Story Collection
>Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose
>Italo Calvino - Invisible Cities
(German translations)

>how to detect a newfaggot

I hope you're a freshman in high school.

>portable Blake
>Blake's Apocalypse by Harold Bloom
>Rejoyce by Anthony Burgess
>Portrait of the artist by Joyce

Don't know, the publishers weren't there when I bought it, but I was asking myself the same question due to what I've heard about the book, and read on the back.

Mentally, maybe. Age-wise, I'm afraid not.

But can a man ever be too old to start reading?

Do the short stories revolve around any one theme? I've read the Selected stories by Anton Chekhov and liked them. Got a craving for some more short stories to read.

It contains The Empty House, The Wendigo, Ancient Sorceries and The Willows. There's at least two other Blackwood compilations by this publisher, I think they just made some Best of-collections.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

> I've read the Selected stories by Anton Chekhov and liked them
If you want very similar (in regards to language and structure) short stories, but with concentration camp theme, read Varlam Shalamov's 'Kolyma tales'.

'The Road back' by Remarque is much more interesting work than the 'Western front', especially if one is interested in the early Weimar period. From there you can continue with Freikorps -literature.

>reading works originally written in english in your native tongue
fucking plebs i swear to god

>Varlam Shalamov's 'Kolyma tales'
Thanks user, that sounds interesting.

Will also check out 'The Road Back', even though I can't say I have any special interest in Germany, pre- or post-Weimar. But a good book is a good book, you feel?

Some of those I already have in english, but my parents aren't very good at reading english. And some of them I feel are better in swedish. Swedes will know which ones.

Got some English books finally.
"The real story of Ah-Q" was really nice. I found it rather funny. (I like Xun's essays too, well the few I have read)
I got a copy of "No Longer Human", because I really liked it. It's a nice book, it touched my soul.
The others I just found interesting. (The premise of Naomi sounds intriguing honestly)
And of course I want to read the next LoGH book too.
I think it's a pretty nice haul.
(Not Pictured: Hungarian copy of Akutagawa's "Kappa")
(Already read it, pretty weird, not as good as his novellas. His alienation from society really shows its marks)

just buy these what should i read first ?

>things fall apart
A great read, but it's about black people so you probably won't like it

Meditations — Marcus Aurelius (George Long translation)

>it's about black people

I was pretty let down by LotGH. The story is fun but my god, the writing. Felt like reading fanfiction.

It's not exactly high art, but it isn't that bad.
Maybe I'm just willing to put up with the writing for the sake of the story.
The prose is barebones, I agree with that. I blow off some steam with it.

I got a pristine copy of Plato's Complete Works on Black Friday for 20 bucks. Also picked up a copy of The American by Henry James, Hugo's Hunchback, and Starship Troopers.

I don't know, all that "the golden haired boy said" got on my nerves. I'll read the second one and see if I can get used to it.

Ay fuck off pretentious cunt

>that roof

>She looked down a slope, needing to squint for the sunlight, onto a vast sprawl of houses which had grown up all together, like a well-tended crop, from the dull brown earth; and she thought of the time she'd opened a transistor radio to replace a battery and seen her first printed circuit. The ordered swirl of houses and streets, from this high angle, sprang at her now with the same unexpected, astonishing clarity as the circuit card had. Though she knew even less about radios than about Southern Californians, there were to both outward patterns a hieroglyphic sense of concealed meaning, of an intent to communicate. There'd seemed no limit to what the printed circuit could have told her (if she had tried to find out); so in her first minute of San Narciso, a revelation also trembled just past the threshold of her understanding.

Don’t force yourself if you don’t want it.
It’s essentially one big book, like LoTR, I doubt much changes.
Book 4 has a new translator though.

Started reading it today, about 70 pages in and enjoying it. The viewpoint is very interesting.

And why would you make that assumption??

because

where can I get plato:complete works by Cooper for relatively cheap, maybe 14-15 bucks? Can't find anything

too lazy to line them up for a photo

Zweig - The Royal Game (german version)
Modiano - Suspended Sentences (german version)
Turgenev - First Love (german version)

also going to buy Bed by ~ourboy~ Tao in the original english

>where can I find an 1800 page Hackett clothbound work for $15
in your wildest fucking dreams

Honestly just use libgen and get it for free

maybe he can find a copy on eBay that someone's dog shredded.

its very hard these days to find english authors I havent read yet so I'm finally getting around to reading translations. It feels so wrong though.

Half Price Books. Got my copy for 20.
You could also check a nearby university. The philosophy department may give out books for free occasionally.

just checked hpb, looks like their cheapest copy is $62.76, the paperback editions are $20 but it's not the same book/editor

Hpb is hands down the best book store for finding classic/snobby lit. Picked up Underworld and Paradise Lost for like $12 over the weekend. They've got a pile of Pynchon books that I've been meaning to snag as well.

My latest purchases (late Sept):

Nietzsche - Thus Spake Zarathustra
Goethe - Faust
Joyce - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Joyce - Dubliners
Malory - Le Morte d'Arthur
Borges - Ficciones

i think thats a uni library in Chicago or someshit

You will never get Krasznahorkai’s prose.

Recent buy piles is Notes from underground and up.

Oedipa keeps thinking in terms of electronics, electromagnetic waves, etc. This is something schizos do.

Speak English you fucking piece of shit.

>Angolphone is a monolingual brainlet
nicht überrascht

Hej där. Inte ofta man ser svenskar här. Varifrån kommer du? Och varför läser du inte Conrad och Pynchon på engelska? Kan man språket så är det ju att föredra att läsa de ursprungliga utgåvorna osv.

>not reading Conrad in English

Inte jude men, hoppas du fick de där billigt från nätet istället för att bli rånad i någon bokaffär.

It's been 18 years of reading and I only started reading translations this year. It feels like I'm missing out on something but I don't know what. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Weird. I rarely read my countrymen’s works of literature.

>Speaks a Germanic language
>Doesn't take the minimal effort to learn German

>Renberg
Are you a Rogalandneger?

Bottom is pickwick papers was 3 bucks at brattle books so i picked it up. Otherwise i had been on a mission to find some Calvino. Had already owned invisible cities and really enjoying it.

I bought the history of dubrovnik because i play way too much eu4.

How would you rate Devils by Dostojevskij compared to his other books? After I'm done reading The Gambler, I'm debating whether I should jump to Brothers Karamazov or read some of his other stuff first.

I do, just not very often.

Hej hej. Kommer från Finland, men bor i den svenska hufvudstaden. Har tidigare läst Pynchon och Conrad på engelska, men just de böckerna (samt Processen och Intet nytt på västfronten) ska bli en julklapp till pappsen.

Jo, fick hela kalaset för någon hundring bara, så det var inte så värst farligt. Föredrar att handla i butik när det gäller böcker, men det är lätt att bli besviken på utbudet när man väl rör sig runt där och letar efter någon specifik bok eller författare.

Ich liebe dich.

>There is no better prose describing the morality (or lack of) and irresponsibility of the radical intelligentsia of 19th Century Russia
That actually sounds interesting, I don't know why I've never considered picking it up.

>read Lea Pyykkö's Finnish translation
I can try, but Finnish is not an easy language. Did you know that Finnish is one of the hardest languages to learn due to it's many grammatical complications? Well, it is.

Das Schloss is called Slottet bruh why

Because 'schloss' sounds too much like 'schlong'.

Apparently, somebody traded in their collection of Encyclopedia Brittanica to my local used bookstore. How good are the EB Aristotle translations in relation to the Cambridge Complete Works?

I meant to say Oxford instead of Cambridge.

utter trash
first of all its abridged, I don't know why you'd even bother with Great Books in the first place
the standard Oxford translations were all heavily revised in the 80s in light of decades of scholarship (the GB is based on the old oxford version, which comes from around 1912-1950)
just grab both volumes of the Revised Oxford translation senpai
avoid Great Books in general

Hope in the Dark - Rebecca Solnit
A Journey to a Revolution - Michael Korda
Barabbas - Par Langkvist

>first of all its abridged
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but can I get a source on that? The Great Books doesn't contain the texts which were incorrectly attributed to Aristotle. Also, the text in the Great Books is tiny af, which makes it possible to fit all of his actual works in 1400+ pages.

Who is/are the translator(s) for the tragedists and Aristophanes? Which plays are included? Are they abridged? Do they have introductions, if yes, by whom?

>Translators
Aeschylus: G. M. Cookson (Verse)
Sophocles: Richard C. Jebb (Prose)
Euripides: Edward P. Coleridge (Prose)
Aristophanes: Benjamin Bickley Rogers (Verse)
All plays which survived in their entirety are included. I can't say if they are unabridged, but as a Isaid before, the text is tiny as fuck. The EB Great Books are very sparse on notes, and only include include short biographies.

You can find a free e-book of it with a simple google search.

Other anons are right. The cheapest Hackett books are thin paperbacks for like $10, and that's second-hand. No idea why they don't depreciate in price once they're second-hand very much. It's usually better off to buy a new copy of Republic than buy an old one, since there's about $4 difference (apart from differing cover art).