Just so that we're all on the same page, Georgia is indisputably the best font, right?

Just so that we're all on the same page, Georgia is indisputably the best font, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

fontpalace.com/font-download/Verdana/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Papyrus is ironically my favorite font

*blocks your path*

all of this unironically

wingdings you fucking pleb

hey wouldnt they just make the P line go all the way...

Why is it called Georgia?

Times New Roman

Helvetica
The word "nigger" looks so much more aesthetically pleasing on Helvetica than on any other font.

Times new roman.
Anything else is for hipsters.

>serifniggers
>le gomig zanz
>basic Helvetica pseuds
It's Avenir, you fucking normies.

This font looks like when normies remember to sit up straight twice a month and way over-do it

I'm ashamed and embarrassed for you two

The Doves type. You probably never heard of it.

Adobe Caslon, with long s and ligatures.

Sans serif fonts are the only good fonts. Serif fonts are for decorative purposes.

Am I a pleb for not noticing any differences in most of the fonts in this thread?

You remember the scene in American Psycho? The one where they discuss their business cards?

Ugly as sin.

LaTeX font is the best I've ever seen

I prefer cambria.

Open pictures side by side.

This my nigga right here

Loooooooool

it's called Computer Modern
I hope you use \usepackage{microtype} in your latex documents

Mine too.

very true

fuck off corporate shills

my friend

Baskerville though.

actual best font coming through

as a bonus point, it was designed by a man who fucked his dog

Verdana. Everyone who does not see that it is Verdana is an idiot. Let me give my reasons:
* Unrivaled legibility at small font sizes (why u wand small font sizes is another topic, but in general it is beneficial, because u need to scroll less)
* Unrivaled readability. Optimal pixel count between letters, so they is never a case of rn = m or oc = oo.
* easy on the eyes. Fancy fonts have aestetic value, but when we look at readybility/legibility, the simpler the better. Verdana wins here aswell-other fonts look crooked compared to it.

Inbefore "lool what a pleb, everyone knows Verdana, it cannot be the best font, look at my exotic font, its much better, you probably never tried it".
I tried over 20 different fonts for my personal document storage and after all I found taht Verdana is best for reasons above.

I've spent hours trying as many as I can, and I always keep falling back on Charis SIL and, if I want something more serious-looking, either Aldus Nova Pro, or Palatino Linotype (depending on how fat I want it that day), which in the end are just pretty much different interpretations of the same design.

But yeah, I find that nothing beats Charis SIL's readability comfort, even if it's not the most beautiful font ever.

For Sans-serif, on the other hand, I use Kozuka Gothic Pr6N, which is a japanese extension of Myriad. For mono, I use Input Mono Compressed.

Verdana is just thin Frutiger. I'd take a thin Helvetica Pro over Verdana any day of the week.

Bookman Old Style is the most visually pleasing to me.

Yes, correct.

Trebuchet is the superior font.

>"X is best".
Cannot give a rationale or even one simple reason.

Unsatisfying posts. I want to know why you think that way unless you are not serious. Some people take fonts serious though. Where do you think is the advantage compared to other fonts. Is it because of beauty or legibility? Which aspects of readability does the font improve?

look at pic
btfo
So I made the direct comparison at size 8,5, which is the "environment", that Verdana is still very legible. All the fonts mentioned in this thread are completely unreadable, no matter how near you move to the screen. This shows, that all of you either use very high font size (which is inefficient) or your priority is style and beauty over efficiency, which is OK.

I did not include
* The Doves Type
* "Computer Modern" aka "LaTeX"
because I didnt find free downloads

As you like aesthetic fonts, I recommend to you
* Friz Quadrate Std
* Thorndale AMT
They both were used in the video game "Warcraft III - Raign of Chaos". Both are beautiful in their own way, but legibility suffers with Thorndale under 13pt and with "Friz" under 10,5 pt.

Nothing better. Just go with EB not Adobe.

That's just because (a) you're using decimals, and (b) you're using a shit renderer.

Here's Charis SIL at 9px being rendered by Calibre (Calibre doesn't support decimals), and looking way smaller than the text in your image (I guess due to my ppi settings?). And it's legible as fuck.

Decimals in font size dont subtract from readability. The proove is the first column, where you see my eternal standard font "Verdana" in my standard size 8.5, and its perfectly readable.
2) I dont just a shit renderer. I have the open document before me and it looks as shit as in the picture. because the fonts really look this shit at 8.5 size. No one can compete with Verdana at these low sizes.

Charis SIL at 9px being smaller than Verdana at 8.5 px is not unusual, Charis SIL is simply smaller in general. I see that it is a serif, which is known to reduce legibility at subnormal sizes (under 10 px, I'd say)

And here's Kozuka Gothic Pr6N (which is Myriad with japanese) at 8.5px, rendered by PaleMoon (changed in real time with the web console, I made this Veeky Forums style with 10px height). Also extremely readable.

It is readable, but I get difficulties when leaning back in my chair. The font is quite narrow, which is also not so great. Try Kozuka Gothic with the dummy text in latin and see, if you can read it without problems.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.

Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.

The Charis SIL 9px in my image is smaller than the Charis SIL 8.5px in yours, and much more legible. Because you're using OpenOffice. Not even fucking LibreOffice. Nigger, what are you even doing?

But yeah, pic related.

>All the fonts mentioned in this thread are completely unreadable
>Gill Sans
>unreadable
this is crazy talk

Completely readable.

Black on white too. Coming after this one.

Also, yeah, it's narrow. That's how I like it. But that's also why I told you I'd take a thin Helvetica over Verdana any way of the week. I'll show you Helvetica after this.

Black on white (crime)

Oh, I compared my uploaded image with the open text document and you are right, the quality is slightly worse and the size like 5% smaller. I used MS Paint 3D to put the screenshot into .png, so that might be a mistake.

On the OpenOffice choice. I actually use both, but LibreOffice has some bugs.

Helvetica Neue LT Pro

While readable, it is on the border to becoming unreadable. Think about when we have to use incides or passwords/codes with several digits in a row. For cases like this we need to preserve a slightly better readability, thats why I dont go lower than 8.5

Put your fonts in a textdocument next to Verdana, so I can have a good comparison.

Give me your Verdana TTFs. I'm a Linux user, and I'm not feeling like installing winetricks to install windows fonts.

I installed 10 fonts during the last hour to make my comparison image, if you are not willing to spend 1 minute to install one (very good) font, I dont want to discuss further. I give you a link for your convenience.

fontpalace.com/font-download/Verdana/

All you need.

(And you're fucking stupid if you're using any of them but Open Sans on a screen for body text...)

Some luxuries (in terms of personal use). (None really suitable for use in body text on a screen.)

Are you actually retarded or do you just pretend to be?

Please explain, I dont get your rationale.

>if you are not willing to spend 1 minute to install one (very good) font, I dont want to discuss further
I've used Verdana. For work and shit. That's why I know it's just thin Frutiger.

Also
>for your convenience

>captcha
>not even legacy captcha
>convenience
Fuck you.

But eh, fuck it. I installed it, and here's how it looks. Worse than both Helvetica and Kozuka/Myriad, not only because it's thinner and thus not as comfortable to read, but also because it takes much more space than either of them. Open all 3 in tabs and switch in between to notice the differences.

So nice

your font
my font

Thank you for your effort in providing this. Now open both images in 2 tabs next to each other and compare. Verdana is more readable. You have see that aswell?!

>Now open both images in 2 tabs next to each other and compare
That's what I just told you to do.
>open all 3 in tabs and switch in between to notice the differences.

>Verdana is more readable
No, it isn't. It's just bigger. Like, at least a good 10% bigger. And while that might make it seem like it's more readable at small font sizes, in normal use, its thinner lines make it less comfortable to read for long times (ie as a browser or ebook reader font) than Kozuka/Myriad and Helvetica, which have fatter lines (though Helvetica comes in a number of weights).

>your font
No. I'm using Kozuka, not Helvetica. I'm recommending you Helvetica as a font with a similar weight (if you use one of the thin fonts in the family) and much better kerning than Verdana.

>You have see that aswell?!
Pajeet pls.

You are comparing Verdana - designed specifically for use on computer screens - to other typefaces - designed for anything but use on computer screens - on a computer... Where are your printed book and poster comparisons...?

You are at best comparing the technical aspect specific implementations of these fonts. Imagine a classical typesetter who has physical letters he sets into a grid. The difference between Garamond and Bodoni to him does not lie in size, letter- or line-spacing, let alone aliasing or any of the other problems that come along with pixel displays. But these are exactly the biggest factors in your comparison.
Since this is Veeky Forums and not /g/, I'm assuming we're assuming printed books, and here we ought to compare the letter shapes themselves and not the specifics of some digital implementations of the font.

I dont deny that I specifically talk about use on computer screens (Desktop PCs for me), which is where I personally use fonts the most, but I also live under a rock, so maybe readability on desktop PC is uninteresting to normal people. To me, readability on the screen is the only interesting thing. People in this thread did not specificate otherwise to this point, so I assumed I could give my experience.

Not that guy, but he is right. Verdana, and most other sans serif fonts are great if you're on low res screen, everything else looks smudgy and unreadable. But as soon as you go higher resolution you see advantages of others.

Put minon there as well. In my experience the best serif for small sizes.

Comorant's nice, too. (And free.)

Thanks. I talk about readability at lowest possible font size, so you can maximize the amount of text on a screen, without having to scroll. I follow the logic that fonts who are readable at low size HAVE to conserve their readability in larger sizes aswell, but low sizes are the only "environment" to weed out the bad fonts.

Note that low-res is a different game than "small size"

San Fransisco is objectively GOAT.

OK, so there might(!) be a chance(!) that Verdana is not as good on tablets or e-readers than on PC, but god damn it if there's a more readable and legible font for computer screens.

Time New Roman is the indisputable font, especially if you write academic papers.

Alternatives: Caslon [Pro] , Centaur, Garamond, Palatine, and Perpetua.

>on tablets or e-readers
reeeee techfa/g/s get off m board

>this beyond shit tier rendering
N E C K Y O U R S E L F

>we are Veeky Forums not /g/.
>shit tier rendering dude.
help an user out. I assume the rendering is because I use MS Paint 3D, what free program would you recommend?

You used the OpenOffice renderer, you idiot. You then took a screenshot of it with paint, which might've further ruined the image, but that was after the text was rendered.

At least Calibre (which I believe uses its own renderer) and Pale Moon (which renders through Gecko) have been mentioned ITT as FOSS packages that render text. As for screenshots, use Gimp.

But if you specifically want text editors, LibreOffice should be superior to OpenOffice. Maybe even Abiword. But given that they're text editors and thus optimized to on-the-fly text edition, they won't render as good as those used by programs that don't expect the text being shown to be edited.

holy shit, that was never known to me! I opened it in LibreOffice and the other fonts look so much better, will upload Gimp-pic later

Libre Office redering instead of Apache OpenOffice

Too flourishy and blotty. Cambria life yo.

>designed by a man who fucked his dog
>Sans serif
This checks out

Bravo bravissimo

Thanks for the rec. Super comfy font.

So many fonts, and I can't even tell that much of a difference between them. How does one choose?

do you look for fonts that are easy to read or that are beautiful? Regardless, do as here , download and install them and arrange them in columns so your eye catches all differences and features at once.

Good enough for academia, good enough for printed books, good enough for me.

Ahh, the three-hole-punched, flimsy-thin, lined paper of fonts

The Penguin Classics version of Gravity's Rainbow uses this font and it turns out great.

Looks like a high school physics textbook 3/10

Anything else is being a try hard.

I love Amazon's Bookerly lads