What does lit think of the gulag archipelago?

what does lit think of the gulag archipelago?

meme

dumb right-wing propaganda. it wasn't that bad.

im enjoying it so far. Russia did some scary shit. Sometimes I find the book goes too in depth with specifics to the point of boredom

Mostly fake
t. Actual Far-Right winger

>gulags were shitty

Woah, glad I put 1200 pages into this

Muh Jews

Anti-soviet propaganda.

What do the Jews have to do with Solzhenitsyn?

Just keep in mind that the subtitle is "an experiment in literary investigation." Read it for literary, not historical, value, and you're all set. Some parts are, if nothing else, interesting bits of folklore.

>Muh Stalin did nothing wrong: the thread

Was Stalin's reign a period of extreme brutality? Of course. Is there a scrap of evidence that the NKVD decided not to apprehend a woman because she held onto a lamp post in St. Petersburg and screamed? Nope. By all means read an actual history book, but don't mistake this for one. It is an oral history, and thus valuable in it's own right, but it must be dealt with on it's own terms.

If only we approached the holocaust with that framework.
Most of the holocaust's claims are anecdotal and many are inconsistent with one another.

Never4get the masturbation machines or the holocoaster ;_;7

True. That doesn't make Solzhenitsyn more accurate, though.

Sometimes I feel like the masturbation machines was just a test to see what they could get away with.

I don't disagree.

What is the masterbation machine of the holocoaster?

I used to read a volume of this book every winter in bed in my house without heating, eating vegetable soup I made and a piece of bread. Solzhenitsyn is special to me, I love the bit where he talks about the logistics of transporting all the people to the gulags, but I found the bone canal boring.
My favourite line: 'The grass grows thick on the grave of my youth.'
He writes nice prose poems too.

This desu

I finished pic related a week ago, how different is Solzhenitsyn from Shalamov?

A cold pudding of a book, a formless and dull mass of phony folklore. Conventional and drab, redeemed from utter insipidity only by infrequent snatches of heavenly intonations. A tragic failure and a frightful bore.

Forgot pic

Jesus, remove that pineapple from your ass, it ain't doing you any favors.

A droll, pretentious, wine-sipping statement, coupled with a lack of specificity.
This is a particularly viscous shitpost

He was super super antisemitic

I don't usually read fiction, but I liked it.

Did I read a censored version, because I can't recall him mentioning jews or judaism once?

I'm in the same boat, read like a holocaust story about shrunken heads and masturbation machines.

Not him, but he didn't have to write about it explicitly in the book to be anti-Semitic. He was famous for hating the Bolshevik Jews controlling Russia (which was mainly a Nazi myth, but later Stalin killed off any Jewish leadership and anti-fascist committee anyway, so he was basically hating on this cabal that didn't exist). It's a stretch to call Soldierschnitzel a fashy, but he was definitely a racist monarchist.

>He was famous for hating the Bolshevik Jews controlling Russia (which was mainly a Nazi myth,

>but later Stalin killed off any Jewish leadership and anti-fascist committee anyway,

Never thought I'd meet an actual bolshevik jew on Veeky Forums.
Also the Culture of Critique should be a mandatory read for anyone before discussing politics or world history on Veeky Forums

Jews at the time were synonymous with deceptive aggrandizing qualities, and it's not simply a matter of choosing not to make that identification, the choice presented would be an acceptance or refusal of those qualities. He lived in an era where people debated the meaning of a word, not simply its name.

Discussing politics and world history on Veeky Forums should be a bannable offense

This desu, go to pol or his mongoloid

Those aren't contradictory, you fucking thick cunt. Saying there are BOLSHEVIK JEWS makes it sound like they're all Jews. There were some Jews who were Bolshevik leaders, but they were all gone by the 50s. There was a Jewish anti-fascist committee, like I said, who weren't really the head of the Bolshevik Party - but Stalin had them killed anyway.

>An actual Bolshevik Jew on Veeky Forums
LMAO, go get medicated darling. You're actually delusional if you think I'm either. I've done more to speak out about MLism and Israel than you ever have, you basement dweller.

>Culture of Critique
Ah yes, its proponents try to tell me psychiatry is a Jewish creation (they actually meant Freudian psychoanalysis, which is not at all like psychiatry).

Agreed.

Where did I say they were contradictory? it's the fact that hating Stalin and underplaying the Jewish influence in the bolshevik movement is a staple among Trotskyist Jews and neo-cons I found funny.

>Ah yes, its proponents try to tell me psychiatry is a Jewish creation (they actually meant Freudian psychoanalysis, which is not at all like psychiatry).

So some idiot misquoted the book, big deal.