I'm terrible at Chess. I've literally never won a game. What books will make me a better player?

I'm terrible at Chess. I've literally never won a game. What books will make me a better player?

Other urls found in this thread:

chesstempo.com/
masterclass.com/classes/garry-kasparov-teaches-chess
mega.nz/#F!FrQ0GSJL!1a8g7o8OtrJ6P3GY9f6D1A
lichess.org/j1O6bG91
arcturus.su/wiki/Rules_overview
gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
arcturus.su/tenhou/
tenhou.net/0
lichess.org/qfA2fkHP
youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9iOeK_jvU
lichess.org/IP2n28GZ
lichess.org/ICmdSehi
pastebin.com/XH92caCT
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why do you want to learn chess?

pretty much this

Real men play infinite chess.

does anyone play chess unironically?
aren't "masters" of chess just doing it for the paycheck and the gloating and the three piece suits?
and even those old guys who you always see playing in the park in the movies, aren't they just doing it because that's 'what you do' when you're an old guy?
and the kids in the chess club, aren't they just doing it to feel the prestige of being in the chess club? a sort of cliquey boundary to fend off the Chads and jocks?
and doesn't this guy only play that nightmarish abomination of a game so that he can meme the picture and provoke responses such as this one?
is there actually anyone, anyone at all, who actually literally just loves the game?

fuck off pseud, chess is fun

no book will make you a better player in chess, it's a game that requires a lot of practice and pragmatism. of course, if you need books to learn the basics of what not to do as a beginner, you can always read up books from yasser seirawan, i find they helped me identify common strategies people would copy from grandmasters and how to counteract them

Did you ever play chess?

A Primer of Chess and Chess Fundamentals both by José Raúl Capablanca

I actually really love to play the game.

chesstempo.com/ is breddy gud to practice tactics

there was a time when learning go made sense when humans still could be at the top of it, but now in both games machines rape humans systematically, so it's more of an aesthetic choice now

>infinite
>20x20
doesn't seem very infinite to me

The Pan Book of Chess
a classic
but not for beginners

well the aesthetic choice is the game with the broader decision tree and more streamlined rules.

Seirawan's books are pretty good. So go back to the beginning and read Play Winning Chess. Then his other two big ones, Winning Chess Tactics and Winning Chess Strategies.

Then go on to Fischer. Though I've seen Nimzowitsch's book being really appreciated by some.

that sounds quantitative, not qualitative, so nothing to do with aesthetics

>aesthetics can't be quantified

commie detected

>Garry Kasparov Teaches Chess

masterclass.com/classes/garry-kasparov-teaches-chess

mega.nz/#F!FrQ0GSJL!1a8g7o8OtrJ6P3GY9f6D1A

Learning piano>learning chess

chess doesn't require dexterity tho

books wont really help you. talk to people. even ches.com and similar websites will help mrore, since people can evaluate your playstyle as they see you play

>books wont help you
>first couple dozen moves are "book moves"

Chesslets, when will they learn?

Why do I know that you don't play chess?

Go is for tryhard nerds
Majong is the superior Asian game

It's simple and fun, yet there's lots of room for experimentation, bluffing and just cheeky tactics
People play card games like Poker for fun, same with Chess

Dude, I love smoking weed and play chess.

Even if you want to play something chess-like Shogi is about 100 times better than Chess. For one thing castling is a defensive strategy rather than a contrivance in the rules.

"My system" is a good book

I thought it was kind of stupid and petty when it got to the "mental-games" part and he was saying things like you should throw captured opponent's pieces under his feet so when he gets up to go to the bathroom he steps on them like legos.

Chess.com has some great lessons

A big part of wanting to learn and practice a game like this is being invested in it. It's history it's culture it's aesthetics, I'm invested in Chess in more ways than just the core rules, not so with Go

But that's top tier banter, makes the book a fun read instead of just a dreary technical piece

>aren't "masters" of chess just doing it for the paycheck
Chess might just be the most difficult thing in the world to get good enough at to gain enough money to live off of

>and even those old guys who you always see playing in the park in the movies, aren't they just doing it because that's 'what you do' when you're an old guy?
Your question should have been "why is it 'what you do' when you're an old guy?"
I'm thinking it's because it's even old people enjoy competing against each other, and would rather not have to rely on their aged bodies for it, making chess stand out above regular sports.

>and the kids in the chess club, aren't they just doing it to feel the prestige of being in the chess club? a sort of cliquey boundary to fend off the Chads and jocks?
You could make a similar argument for just about any hobby, but in the end the reply to all of them is "Anything wrong with that?"
Getting good at chess requires work, and giving kids a reason to want to work is always a good thing, doesn't matter what their or their parents' ulterior motives are.

This isn't The Sims.

that cover and title made me think the guy was preparing some kind of ethnic cleansing for some reason

t. brainlett

So?

Thanks, user

>tfw no /chess/ general anywhere on 4chins
where do you guys play chess online? what's your rating? ~1350 ELO on chess.com here,
I'm pretty sure that's like 1250 ELO in real life

i have to stay away from chess because it consumes all my attention if i give in to it.

It's not 20x20. That's just where the pieces start.

Read bobby fischer teachers chess if you're beginning.

en.lichess.org is the best imo, also free

>>tfw no /chess/ general anywhere on 4chins
THIS FOR FUCK'S SAKE
Don't send me to Veeky Forums you fucks, I've even tried on /pol/ and /tv/, no one is interested. One Nord on /sp/ shitposts Carlsen threads occasionally, that's it.
>tfw no comfy Candidates Tournament threads

What would be the best board to start one on?
I play on lichess, rating is i think 1530.

Veeky Forums has regular posters but of course chess isn't video games
Veeky Forums is full of autists and no traffic, threads always die
/int/ and /sp/ have threads occasionally but nothing consistent and sometimes they just die, also they're just amateur shitters sucking each other's e-peens
mods would almost certainly ban everyone involved if we tried anything here or on Veeky Forums
Veeky Forums seems like the best place in terms of how on-topic it is, but it just doesn't work. I just want a place to discuss openings and shitpost about muh based nakamura every once in a while

You can't OP. I've been beating brainlets like you since I was 7. Never even trained or learned techniques. The only person who instilled fear in me was some russian genius. Luckily we were playing diy chess with pieces of paper representing each piece, and the wind blew everything off.

>What books will make me a better player?
Ignore everyone else. If you ever go to a chess club there's going to be a bunch of pseuds discussing their favorite openings. Don't be like that.

The only book you you should ever read is My System by Aron Nimzowitsch. Why? Because it teaches you principles of modern chess and nothing else.

Just because you're a status-obsessed pseud doesn't mean everybody else is

Logical chess move by move.

Looks like we need a chess board. In all seriousness it would probably be faster than /po/, last time I checked there was a thread there over a year old

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess

/po/ is toptier, do not bully

As a board game designer I would roll over in my grave if Veeky Forums had a designated Chess board. I'd have to kill myself first too.

real men play torus chess

Some one play me.
lichess.org/j1O6bG91

Chess-kun used to post a chess thread every Sunday evening over on /v/, where everyone would challenge each other on lichess.org, but a mod moved it to Veeky Forums and it died.

It was one of the few threads I looked forward to over on /v/.

Also, OP, I recommend John Nunn's 'Learn Chess' and 'Learn Chess Tactics' to the novice.

I genuinely find the strategy fascinating.

Unironically this board. We just have to pretend to asking how to learn chess by reading. As much of a meme as it is this is genuinely one of the few boards with enough of an elitist intellectual atmosphere for a chess general to be successful and interesting.

mods get assblasted over on-topic threads with frog pictures in the op, stealth chess threads will never survive

I play at least four games a day.

Mahjong is nothing like Go or Chess, it's basically just a more complicated Gin Rummy played with tiles.

My 60 memorable games by Bobby Fischer
The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal by Mikhail Tal

Read these two. They are the most authoritative book on chess. Practicing alone only gets you so far, afterwards you need to expand on what you know by reading books such as these two. Remember, there is a lot of psychology in chess and playing it daily displays your state of your mind in a given moment. If you lose 3 games in a row, take a break and return later after relaxing and analysing the lost games. The idea is to get rid of emotions and remain focused. If you are not in that state, don't play.

Do some yoga or exercise too.
Normal progression for a player is 100 Elo points per year. If you play in a desribed manner and read books about chess, you should be looking at +150 pts per year. Don't try to impress anyone and think twice before you join Fide.

Also, i haven't read it but i heard only good stuff about Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, which, among other things, also discusses chess psychology.

t. 2300 elo player

I play on Lichess. I think I have a similar Chess.com rating to you, and I'm much higher on Lichess.

If you want to have a real life rating, you'll have to join FIDE or whatever your national chess federation is.

If we make threads on tg then how do we funnel in players from this board?

Mahjong player here. Been playing since at least 2009. Maybe 2008, not entirely sure.

While I do like mahjong more than go, go is more akin to chess than mahjong, particularly because both chess and go rely entirely on strategy, whereas mahjong depends highly on luck, even if it also depends a lot on strategy, particularly reach mahjong (normal japanese rules).

Go crushes your soul though. The difference between starting level and lower-mid level is abysmal, and then you try and follow high-level and you're completely, absolutely lost. It's just so fucking complex.

>Looks like we need a chess board
CARLOS!

Chess.com and lichess have a decent rating system. It's higher than fide, but not by much. Rating isn't really that meaningful in itself. Compare it to average centipawn loss, moves played, inaccuracies/mistakes/blunders.
For a 1300 player you can probably still win with 3 blunders and centipawn loss >100. 1800 - no blunders, less than 4 mistakes, centipawn loss around 45-50. 2200+ elo = 0 blunders, 2 or less mistakes, very few inaccuracies, centipawn loss less than 20 in a 50ish move game.

go has top tier history and aesthetics though.
if it is not your thing, that is okay, but your post can be read as suggesting go lacks history and aesthetics which is untrue. If anything it has a larger amount of literature around it than chess.

gl finding other go players irl.

maybe irl will be hard in the west; there are clubs but they tend to be populated either by weebs or turbo-autists.
I know at least two active go servers, one with pretty good AI for beginners. I think a few big name dan players play on Gopanda regularly.

I mean as a game Majong is more enjoyable

>go has top tier history and aesthetics though.
I'm aware but it doesn't interest me

If you're an American, go to USCF, register and look for a local club.

watched this whole shit but never really understood the game

arcturus.su/wiki/Rules_overview
gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

And once you feel ready to play other people
arcturus.su/tenhou/
tenhou.net/0

>open with e4
>opponent replies with d5
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Can't handle the Chad Scandinavian.

>play online
>get black pieces
>poo in loo attempts to Scholar's mate me
everytime

GET IN THERE FGTS

none you’re a brainlet, chess is a 130+ iq activity. stay away subhuman

lol im 100-110 iq and 2000+ elo

lets see how bad you are
lichess.org/qfA2fkHP

>e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bb5
>Nf6
Bothers me more desu

136 here (10/15 years ago, when I tested), and I suck.

Watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9iOeK_jvU
These videos made a massive difference for me.

lichess.org/IP2n28GZ

to keep this Veeky Forums anyone interested in chess should read the defense by nabokov. my favorite of his, fantastic novel.

Take my challenge

lichess.org/ICmdSehi

The guy that makes chess-related shitposts on /sp/ and /int/ is actually a pretty good player

Chess is all memorization. It sucks.

get in there faggots

pastebin.com/XH92caCT

Here's a list I compiled a while back