New US editions of the first Harry Potter book are still called "The Sorcerer's Stone"

>new US editions of the first Harry Potter book are still called "The Sorcerer's Stone"

Well that's the title, no?

Whats with them changing the title?

It's The Philosopher's Stone

American publisher changes it because they thought the public wouldn't know what a philosopher is.

OK then hotshot, what's a "philosopher"? No googleing.

This is a literature board, not rag board. Go to the SFFG general for that jive bullshit.

Philosopher is a more used and recognized term than sorcerer. The publishers changed it because they thought that it would sound boring to children

>t. jimmy tashawn gonzales

Someone who studies philosophy.

>book 1&2 are very thin
>book 3 is just a little bigger
>book 4 is almost twice as big
>book 5 is even bigger
>book 6 is smaller than 4 but bigger than 3
>book 7 is as big as 4

Why did Rowling do this?

Plotholes.
Srsly. The 4th one had a plothole the size of your moms ass and she had to fill that gap with a lot of scenes. Google it loser.

"Sorceror" sounds exciting, "philosopher" sounds boring, and nobody in America knows what a philosopher is. Famous title changes to take account of the incredible ignorance of the average American include "Licence Revoked" which became "Licence to Kill" when over 70% of those polled didn't what "Revoked" means, and "The Madness of King George III", which had to drop the "III" because it was realised that Americans would be uninterested in the film since they'd obviously missed the first two films of the trilogy.

>2017
>still releasing re-skinned hairy pooters
>still being purchased

She understood that kids love to read and tried to encourage their habit by writing longer books.

>loser
nigga you talking about harry potter and shit and you call him the loser?

can't expect ameritards to know what a philosopher is lol

Whats with all the Potter posting of late?
No, a Philosopher is one who philosophizes.

>tfw Harold Bloom was wrong

Pic related

>Whats with all the Potter posting of late?

Every first worlder below ~35 has read/seen it. It's probably the most popular piece of literature in the world outside of sacred texts.

I mean on Veeky Forums over the past few days. The number of potter posts have increased by at least several times.
>It's probably the most popular piece of literature in the world outside of sacred texts.
Nice meme.

I think it's because of the YA thread.
Or maybe someone has read/re-read them recently.

Harry Potter's Nicholas Flamel was more of a sorceror than a philosopher, even a natural one.

>More than half of the participants in the Yankelovich focus groups questioned the price of our burger. "Why," they asked, "should we pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as we do for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald's? You're overcharging us." Honestly. People thought a third of a pound was less than a quarter of a pound. After all, three is less than four!

Not because they don't know what "philospher" is but because they wouldn't know what the "philospher's stone" is dumbshit.

I'm a third world brainlet but shouldn't it be Socerer' Stone instead of Sorcerer's Stone?

Why would they know what a "sorcerer's stone" is?

Why is that British children are more in touch with their culture's myths?

>anybody being unfamiliar with key concepts of alchemy
What is this world in which I find myself

I've read somewhere once that "philosopher's stone" used to be a slang for some drug.
But I'm not from the US, so I wouldn't know if it's true.

>>>/sffg/
Keep genre fiction in it's containment thread

Meanwhile in French editions, the first book is still called "Harry Potter à l'Ecole des Sorciers", which can be translated as "Harry Potter at the Wizards School"
Do you imagine what it's like to be considered as even more retarded than the average American reader by our editors ?

Meanwhile the Russian translation of anything except the title is just pure shit.

wew was Order of the Phoenix really that big?

>YER A WIZARD, GARY

>Buying copies of Harry Potter.

кeк

Who cares? It's a children's book.

pop fiction can often be better in translation - translators are often at least somewhat educated peoplewho can write better than the likes of Rowling or Stephen King

Fun fact: People really loved the "Malcolm X" film, and couldn't understand how they could have missed the previous 9 films.

pathetic

>Harry Potter and the Socerer' Stone

>Yur a vizard gary
Use your accents correctly!

Not in this case.

gen z is now browsing Veeky Forums

Harry Potter is pretty comfy desu.

If you've been lobotomized maybe.

This is america homie, ain't nobody know what the fuck a "philosopher" is

"Sorcerer's Stone" isn't even the worst one. At one point baby Dudley learns a new word: "shan't". They changed this to "wont" in the American version because Americans apparently wouldn't understand such complex vocabulary, completely spoiling the joke in the process.

Imagine you're a 7 year old kid at a book store and it's the 90s and Harry Potter hasn't blown up yet. What sounds more interesting to you, a 7 year old: a sorcerer's stone or a philosopher's stone?

Who gives a fuck, it's a book for gay kids.

Why aren't you reading it then?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, it was probably solely for marketing purposes, and "Sorcerer's Stone" better conveys the idea that it's about wizards and witches, whereas "Philosopher's Stone" really doesn't. Maybe it made more sense in Britain.

Either way, since it was just one book and almost nothing else changed since then, it's not worth sperging over.

wheres the pasta?

I read the book when I was 11 and I was annoyed that they changed the title to sorcerer. A philosopher's stone is an actual mythological thing so changing it makes no sense

Britbong here: I know the Philosopher's Stone movie was called Sorcerer's Stone in the US too. did the actors in the movie say sorcerer's stone in the US too or what?

what's the joke?

It had already 'blown up' by the time they decided to translate it into American.

That isn't a new cover, they've used those for at least 8 years.
Also you can complain about Americans butchering titles only after you stop calling The Elementary Particles "Atomised"

Great design, though.

It's missing the last two books, there were nine films.

I like it too.

Who the fuck cares? It makes more sense to children who are the ones reading the book in the first place

I still couldn't tell you what a Philosophers stone is without googling.

You guys realize pretty much every language has their own unique title right? Why do we care so much about what America does?

>I care about the titling of children's novels

>Americans in charge of doing anything right

Why did I expect anything more?

Well weren't you a special little 11 year old. I'm sure your parents probably told you how smart you were every day.