Thoughts on 'anti-book clubs'?

Thoughts on 'anti-book clubs'?

>nobody has time to read 500 pages
>600 pages is a doorstopper
not Veeky Forums

wrong board
go back

>goes on Veeky Forums
>hmm I wonder what these guys who are into literature think about something anti-literature
>pinky promise it’s not a way to get 25 “wimim are dumdums posts” by the local virgins

Genderbaiting so hard the feminists at my uni want classes from you. Pic related, it’s you people.

>doorstoppers like Matterhorn (597 pages)

>i don't have time to read
>i do have time to hang out and eat cake

>15 out of the 20 books in my backlog is over 500 pages

Sometimes you just want ro read a shorter one..

How would you do a mini book club?

I have in mind a book club, or something analogous, for those who can't read large books regularly.

Would you do small books, chapters, articles, excerpts? How would you approach the situation?

What's wrong with it? These people are juggling a myriad of responsibilities simultaneously, and every once in a while, they just want to get together and talk about lit while having some snacks.

It isn't much different than what we do here, honestly. At least these people are meeting vis-à-vis.

I don't know. How would you do it?

Books that can be read in a few hours? Think The stranger, The sorrows of young Werther, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit etc. Maybe multiple short stories depending on length.

All of these can be read in a week and you need way less than an hour a day.

You're not wrong but the fact that they need to legitimize it by some kind of anti-literature stance is weird.

I started a philosophy book club in uni that would read mostly articles and essays. Didn't have time for doorstoppers whatwith reading obligations for classes but it was a fun way to learn about ideas that we were interested in and discusss them with people who were also interested in the subject. We switched off every week with a new article chosen by a different member. Met at a coffeeshop.

Once every two weeks, I'd have everyone contribute something literary. It would need to fit some broad predetermined theme, and some sort of limit would be in place--say 12 pages. At the following meeting, we'd have a group discussion about the readings.

I would start with a shitpost club to hone your skills and then work up from there.

I can only imagine this is American since only Americans love to be ignorant.

both of these

it's not like book clubs ever talk about books anyway

This is the most American thing I've ever read

>t. didn't read huck finn

the degeneration of the fitness of the whyte population is astounding, i don't think anything needs to be said here
no

No, I'm 100% sure this is American.

Short stories

>i'm just too busy checking my important twitter feed to read

I mean I don't see the problem with having a club for what she talks about but why drag books into the picture?

twitter isn't a "responsibility."

This is the part that annoyed me most as well.

>oh my God I just CAN'T seem to keep up with the inane shit Kanye is saying these days! It's a real problem. I think I might have to drop down to part time, I can't juggle all these jobs!

Also only americans brag about being busy with mundane shit, i dont know why they do this.

Most Americans do not do anything meaningful. There are Boomers who have never done anything meaningful.

protestant work ethic

The American education system is shit and that, coupled with their culture, creates an entirely ignorant species--one that even takes pride in its ignorance.

Come on, reading just 1 hour a day is enough to tackle multiple doorstoppers in a single year. It's certainly easier than admitting you simply don't like books.

>a Twitter feed all clamouring for my attention
I was gonna mock this, then I realized I'm on fucking Veeky Forums instead of doing something useful.

And here we sit, wasting away time discussing them.

> 20 books in backlog
Pleb

lol this

Well, being uneducated all they have to talk about is their terrible working environment, their failing health, and the latest reality television debacle.

Sucks.

wow

>has time to meet up together
>no time to read

>my husband's book club and its ability to work through doorstoppers like Matterhorn (597 pages) with surprising alacrity, parsing narrative threads while making wild-game chili.

Holy shit this sounds amazing.

>claims she doesn't have time for reading even a little

>has time to read magazines
>has time to watch YouTube
>has time to have a twitter persona (I don't know how to call it) and calls it a "responsibility"
>has time to meet and eat cakes with friends while talking about their activities
>has time to shit-talk about people able to devote their time in reading rather than spending hours in twitter like it's a responsibility

holy shit

i think you just figured out the female soul

>time to socialize
>no time for anything else

>I was gonna mock this, then I realized I'm on fucking Veeky Forums instead of doing something useful.
ouch

Novellas could be good. If everyone in the club can't handle a novella a month then they shouldn't be in it. Hell, even bi-weekly could work if the books are that short.

I didn't manage to read passed the first sentence. Too mad. awful. Kill all of them.
Not liking something is one thing. My best friend doesn't read AT ALL.
But being proud of it- parading it around- that's something else entirely.

Women really should've never been given as many liberties as they have today.

sounds like an ok idea. well i dont think id want to sit around talking about tweets with people, but youtube videos and articles could be interesting.

Solitary pursuits can be very rewarding but humans are social animals user
Maybe you should try spending some more time socializing with people whose company you enjoy, it might help you to not be so transparently resentful

>she fell for the "length is difficulty" meme

>for those who can't read large books regularly.

>her husband has proper book club and time management
>she thinks she's busy and probably that he married her for her brain

>An Unlimited Supply of 35mm Film, Richard Brautigan

People cannot figure out why he is with her. They don't understand. He's so good-looking and she's so plain. "What does he see in her?" they ask themselves and each other. They know it's not her cooking because she's not a good cook. About the only thing that she can cook is a halfway decent meat loaf. She makes it every Tuesday night and he has a meat loaf sandwich in his lunch on Wednesday. Years pass. They stay together while their friends break up.

The beginning answer, as in so many of these things, lies in the bed where they make love. She becomes the theater where he shows films of his sexual dreams. Her body is like soft rows of living theater seats leading to a vagina that is the warm screen of his imagination where he makes love to all the women that he sees and wants like passing quicksilver movies, but she doesn't know a thing about it.

All she knows is that she loves him very much and he always pleases her and makes her feel good. She gets excited around four o'clock in the afternoon because she knows that he will be home from work at five.

He has made love to hundreds of different women inside of her. She makes all his dreams come true as she lies there like a simple contented theater in his touching, thinking only of him.

"What does he see in her?" people go on asking themselves and each other. They should know better. The final answer is very simple. It's all in his head.

It's the shear spiteful anti-intellectualism that makes it particularly appalling.