Good Novels for Masculinity and Self-Improvement?

Pic somewhat related, but don't take it seriously. The righteous anger and that desire to make my place It's time that I get off my ass, kick myself into gear, and face reality that I'm a master of my own life.

First things first, I need to restart my habit of reading instead of wasting my time browsing Veeky Forums. What is a good "middle-brow" book that I could start working on that would encapsulate some of these feelings?

I was thinking Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, or maybe The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. Whatever I choose, it is important that I read something to help me be a better man and condition myself to want to relish in life's struggle again. I'll wait until I get a few responses before I block this site and retire early for the day.

the qu'ran

we need a /yootoober/ and /self-help/ board.
This shit's getting pathetic

I plan on reading various religious texts sometime in the future. I want something more raw and personal right now.

I asked for literature that captured a certain energy and spirit. Even if it's for self-improvement purposes, what's wrong with that?

God speed white brother, don't let the Jews on this board bring you down

Read Rimbaud and embrace your degeneracy

>It's a /pol/tard
>they ask about meditations
every time.
but seriously, stop posting about /pol/ on Veeky Forums and read hemmingway or something

>Rimbaud
Libertine degeneracy is what got me into this mess.

I've only read The Sun Also Rises and The Old Man and the Sea, and I don't think they capture the masculine energy "in the moment" as much as they lament its absence or its vanquishing. I want a different book.

Tbh, I was originally thinking about getting Storm of Steel, and I think I'm going to go with that book considering that all of the butthurt NEET Amerimutts are online and not interested in anything that even reminds them of /pol/.

Idk read Ungaretti then

>what's wrong with that?

you're shitting up the board

I have never posted a "redpilled" post in my life. I usually just lurk Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums. What can I say? I just liked the feelings that steps 6-10 reminded me of, and I want a masterpiece novel that can more vividly recapture that moment and tap into a life-affirming, masculine side of me.

Also here's a pro tip. Most of the people like are obvious trolls btw. If you take a minute to browse /pol/, you'd realize that they're Veeky Forumsizen caricatures. The diction, syntax, and themes are all totally different and more akin to a place like Veeky Forums than anything an alt-right board can conjure. Stop taking the bait, and they'll go away and return to Harris posting or something.

bump

Maybe just be a man instead of wanting a book to capture what being one feels like.

That's part of the plan. Read my post. What's wrong with conditioning yourself?

I feel like experience would help more, but maybe that's just me. Don't have any recommendations for you though, sorry.

No problem. Thank you for helping.

Of course experience would help. That'll come in time. I'm just trying to get myself going by abandoning my old unproductive and self-stifling mindset. I figured that if I was going to pick up reading seriously again, I could kill two birds with one stone.

I think I'm just going to go with Starship Troopers and then Storm of Steel. Thanks everyone.

You'll also want Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, Epictetus' Enchiridion, and probably Nietzsche (I'd recommend Beyond Good and Evil to start).

You might also appreciate Jack London, and if you haven't already read it try Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, which is if you ask me his best 'manly' work.

Imagine being Ernst Junger in 2017 and having to be all like "damn, /pol/, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your plebeian populism and horrific crypto-nazi NEET shitposting. I would totally identify as one of you, both my character and the real me." when all he really wants to do is fight another world war in his coffin. Like seriously imagine having to be Junger and not only sit in that grave while /pol/ flaunts its disgusting politics all over you, the favorable anonymity barely concealing the acne and morbid obesity, and just sit there, post after post, thread after thread, while they perfected that ideology. Not only having to tolerate its monstrous fucking visage but its haughty attitude as everyone on set tells her she's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch its mannish fucking gremlin face contort into types of LARPing you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of blonde beasts and Prussian junkers and later alleged July 20 plot conspirators for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in Heidelberg. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her dimpled trap stomach as she sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to sit there and revel in her "Western (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for with gaudy romantic painting threads in the previous months. And then OP calls for another "redpilled literature" thread, and you know you could kill every single person on this board before the janitors could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking dead. You're not going to lose your salvation over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

Moby Dick

The Foundation for Exploration

You need to take a break from the Internet. I regret ever bringing up /pol/ because apparently you sensitive girls lose your fucking minds if you even think about that board.

Forgot FWtBT even existed. Thanks for reminding me user.

Journey to the End of the Night

Fuck off, Goonan

Don't read this if you don't want to be depressed all winter. I like Celine, little fascist shit that he is, but this is not a good book for being cheerful near

Guys, I forgot about Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate. I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the ideas.

Read Anna Karenina and focus on the contrast between Levin and Anna -- the positions in which they begin and which they end. Tolstoy is criticized for being hypocritical, moralizing pedagogue but that doesn't mean he was wrong.

*infdcts you with treatment resistant lice*
That’ll learn yew not to have an attitude in my domain...lttle boy

Why do I suddenly have an urge to itch that won't go away?

Also I lied about Grossman and I went with Junger last moment decision.

Good choice
Don’t feel too bound by choice or by external compulsion when you read though

Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche.

Jump right into danger. Sense, act, react. and afterwards reflect and grow. The books don't serve as conditioning but as complementary points of view in which frame your experiences. They add value to your actions revealing which ones will serve you in future interactions, how they can be used, and in what circumstances. Without the experience beforehand you cannot fully grasp the ideas you are reading.

Reading before experiencing will have a contradictory effect if you do not live up to the expectations of manhood learned from the books.

>forgot FWtBT even existed
plebeian detected

Sun and Steel by Yukio Mishima.

Any intense books about masculinity, survival, and struggle? /pol/tards need not respond.

The Prophetic works of William Blake.

Isn't he a poet?

Beat it kid

No philosophy please. Just looking for a novel. I don't mind philosophical themes, but I want a novel.

Combine a reading of The Illiad with the Stoics. Best way to go about achieving the change you crave.

Wisdom books (pic), Greek and Roman epics (Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid), Medieval epics and sagas (Beowulf, Song of Roland, Volsunga, Nibelunglied, Togail Bruidnae Da Derga), Arthurian legends (Sir Gaiwan and the Green Knight, Round Table), Russians (War and Peace, Master and Margarita, Crime and Punishment, Cancer Ward).

>You are the user. You are the redpilled. And life is fucking awesome. But do not get complacent. The battle is never over.

I haven't read a more reddit string of sentences in months and I frequent /sffg/ general.

You could also read Notes From the Underground regularly as a way of preserving your drive to change. Combine with the mentioned above.

That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

Good post. Pasta-worthy desu

what's wrong with poetry?

its not even a meme, but go and read the greeks. the iliad, the odyssey, thucydides etc. are all about manliness, struggle and general chaddish virtues

Chads aka braindead urban males have nothing to do with the greeks

nu-/pol/ are closer in spirit to reddit than Veeky Forums. they have that same general normie corniness about them. these cunts think if they post in nigger hate threads then it'd be patently impossible for them to ever be compared to reddit. they really don't understand.

>nu-/pol/ are closer in spirit to reddit than Veeky Forums
That's because they're literally rabbitors

Bump

Bump

>the fear of one ideology causing you to fall deeper into another ideology
pure slave-ology

Damn, I still remember blaming chanology for ruining Veeky Forums. This place has been dead for years.

If you were actually masculine (you are not) you would choose your own path and not go pratting for (you)s on our book forum. Faggot.

nb

Here's a Veeky Forums chart

>recommending philosophy without recommending greek philosophy
this how "didn't diogenes invent nihilism" posts are created

Max Stirner is a pathetic beta, and his ideology is an excuse to be a slob. If his rationalization were meaningful this book would be read by ultra performers. It isn't.

It is a pasta dumbass.

You're a pretentious idiot who obviously didn't made any attempt at analyzing it and discourse on his points, let alone read it in the first place.

This should be fairly easy for you to answer, if you've read the book as you imply – what is a spook?

this and it's sequel are basically "how to be a man in the modern world" the books

9/10

I know I'm not masculine. That's why I'm starting this journey, and I asked for a book to accompany me along the way. Aren't you people supposed to have good reading comprehension?

Neck yourself you beta loser

Books recommended by the barely sentient dwellers of a Mozambican Machete Sharpening Forum won't help.

>that Tolstoi length /pol/post
Just castrate yourself and save a lot of trouble

Honestly you guys sound like /pol/acks trying their hardest to not sound like /pol/acks.

>Pic somewhat related, but don't take it seriously. The righteous anger and that desire to make my place It's time that I get off my ass, kick myself into gear, and face reality that I'm a master of my own life.
>First things first, I need to restart my habit of reading instead of wasting my time browsing Veeky Forums. What is a good "middle-brow" book that I could start working on that would encapsulate some of these feelings?
>I was thinking Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, or maybe The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. Whatever I choose, it is important that I read something to help me be a better man and condition myself to want to relish in life's struggle again. I'll wait until I get a few responses before I block this site and retire early for the day.

Nice /pol/ gif.

Start lifting and train a martial art as well, if you're not already.
Doesn't matter how many books you read if you look like a weakling who can't protect himself or his family. If someone confronts you they can see it in your eyes if you can stand up for yourself. That's how bullies and thugs pick targets, they go for weak ones.

Veeky Forumslit/ crossposters never fail to make me cringe. The vocal ones are always, always, always 19 yo manlets halfway through their noob gains phase, which they think will never end. These little cunts genuinely think they are some sort of polymath whose mastered both mind and body, but their reading suggestions show that it's mostly a dishonest ruse (big, spectacular books). What's more is that these guys always had a troubled past, usually were a depressed emo twink in high school or something, hence their preoccupation with crafting their perfect selves.

This list isn't strictly bad (some strange choices -- Mishima, but no Sun & Steel which is literally about weight lifting?), but I feel like I can picture the cunt who put this together. I once knew a guy IRL who perfectly embodied the /fitlit/ phenomenon which is, in all honesty, why I'm projected so hard here. He'd skip from hobby to hobby, pursue it for a couple of months with schizo intensity, broadcast loudly that he was now a member of x hobby, forced his friends to partake, then after all this would give up, be depressed and anxious for a while, then start afresh. Every stage of this mania would be reinforced with juvenile thinking about masculinity and self. It's no surprise that his latest fad is spouting/lecturing about jordan peterson.

I lift, and I also read, but I just, like a normal person, consider them two distinct hobbies that I happen to partake in. I'm under no illusion that I am "cultivating" myself, and I hate those still-amidst-noob-gains cunts who try to linearly narrativize weightlifting into "I was weak and pathetic, but I then I made [choice] and now I'm strong and good looking, master of self, the end".

You sound like some autist pissed you off so you became reactionary and moved your camp as far away from self-help as you possibly could. Yeah the dude you described sounds cringey as fuck sure, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with cultivating and improving yourself.