Is this any good/interesting?

Is this any good/interesting?

I'm trying to learn more about Catholicism and I saw this on sale.

have you purchased it yet?
a landmark translation of the Confessions was just released by Sarah Ruden
regardless of translator anyway, It is without a doubt one of the best books you will ever read if you stick through it

I haven’t read Augustine because most intelligent philosophers I know of (Nietzsche, Russell) shit all over him, and that’s good enough for me to know to stay away from him.

No you picked up a completely random book there is no way anyone here is familiar with it since we only study western canon and thought so who knows about this augerstein guy

Yeah I already got it and why do you say stick through it? Does it get boring at parts or what?

he gets obnoxiously humble and praisy in some sections

I've read it and it is a good read. Chadwick translation can be a bit awkward at times but still decent. Gives a good insight into the general mileu of conversion and religious tension in late antiquity. Also a foundation of Christian conversion apologetics.

Read the Cappadocian Fathers and Chrysostom next. Satan wants you to go straight from Augustine to Aquinas.

It's a great read and I highly recommend it. In the original Latin, it is one of the most beautifully crafted evidence of the language especially in, I believe, book 10 when he is searching for God.

I haven't heard of this edition. The Chadwick edition is solid. I studied the book in Latin with a former student of Chadwick's.

Rousseau lifted a lot from St. Augustine, I mean the man wrote a 'Confessions' also. As for Nietzsche, he shits on anyone, especially for those who are Apollinian/Platonic/Christian. Augustine fits the bill on all of it. Still, if Augustine and Nietzsche were to grab a few beers with each other, I think they would be fast friends, despite N's contempt of A's rigidity.

Already read Aquinas but what makes you say that?

Been looking into the Cappadocian Fathers actually so I'll probably check that out next

Augustine would probably take a fatherly outlook to Nietzsche and be sympathetic to his plight. He probably would recognize a lot of his younger self in Nietzsche but also empathize with the distaste for The Christianity in nietzsche's time

what;s with all the catholic shitposting on Veeky Forums?

is it one determined soap dodger or is there a group of you?

is the Vatican funnelling money into shilling on social media?

Veeky Forums were always a bunch of contrarians. It is now the hip new cool thing to be Catholic because the majority is atheist.

There's a tendency for people to make that leap, because they're unaware of the importance of Christian theologians/philosophers. Some of Augustine's, and many of Aquinas's, ideas are amenable to modern academia, so many philosophy courses are happy to skip from one to the other, and then on to the Renaissance. Another way to say it is that Western philosophy is centered in Augustine and Aquinas, so they must be taught. After you understand Augustine all of Western philosophy starts to look like an effort to explain his errors and contradictions. Augustine, while wrong in some respects, was still a holy man and a saint. Aquinas, on the other hand, could reasonably be blamed for the atheism of the West. His monism makes me sick desu. The Cappadocian Fathers and St John Chrysostom are valuable to people with a Western perspective because they expose and explode the errors of Augustine and Aquinas.

I smell an Orthobro.

>intelligent philosophers I know of (Nietzsche, Russell)
Whew

Oh and if you want somebody to read something between Augustine and Aquinas, they should read guys like Bonaventure, Dominic, Bernard of Clairvaux, etc.

Excellent bait

They've reached the peak of absurdity by now in their eternal Aquinas butthurt.

Yes, it's essential Catholic reading. His other books, City of God and De doctrina christiana are worth reading too. I also recommend checking out Gregory B. Sadler's YouTube lectures on Augustine.

pic related
St Basil the Great, St Gregory of Nyssa, St Gregory the theologian, and St John Chrysostom are part of your heritage. Read them before you lay all your faith in Aquinas.

I have read two of those, and also St Gregory of Nazianzus. We give plenty of credence to the Eastern fathers.

By the look of the cover you are in for a ride of remorse

Tell me one of the Orthodox criticisms of Aquinas and why it's wrong.

>Nogistine