Is the Oxford comma a meme?Should "good" writers use it?

Is the Oxford comma a meme?Should "good" writers use it?

Always use the oxford comma. Only fucking retards don't and only fucking disgusting subhumans actively argue against using it. This shouldn't even be a debate.

It is more useful not to use it. You can always make it clear what you mean without, but not with.

>what did he mean by this

Wut?

Plebian: Oxford comma
Contrarian: No oxford comma
Patrician: No commas

>using punctuation
Just greentext everything

My man

I started eliminating commas wherever possible when I really began doing a lot of writing in undergrad. It just looks ugly on the page to me. I take it as a challenge to formulate better sentences.

It's superfluous. No good writer wastes ink.

reddit tier thread.

>not using semicolon

you guys honestly don't understand that completely normal sentence?

This total gibberish to anyone else?

You're being trolled, you arsewit.

Didn't get a word of that, what are you trying to say?

Brainlet

ITT: Brainlets

Only absolute plebs and brainlets stress about shit like grammar or punctuation technicalities. Forget about that shit, worry about writing something interesting first

it's become a normie meme, "wow I use the Oxford comma, I'm smart" it's annoying to me.

loooool I love it

Why have any commas then?

Of course this motherfucker uses a superfluous comma

The oxford comma is standard though

No, he's right. Basic bitches on tinder will have something like "If you don't know the difference between their there and they're then don't message me!" but university educated basic bitches will be like "I'll suck your dick if you use the oford comma" But then obviously they don't actually know what that is.

Fun, unrelated story but in my first year english class the TA couldn't tell us how to use a semi-colon. He just said that it was complicated and you could kind of intuit it with practice. He was writing his PhD on Finnegans Wake

>Eats shoots leaves

Do you also object to sentences that end with a preposition?

>Fun, unrelated story but in my first year english class the TA couldn't tell us how to use a semi-colon. He just said that it was complicated and you could kind of intuit it with practice. He was writing his PhD on Finnegans Wake

Well he's not wrong, it really is intuitive, which you quicklyy pick up if you read any Victorian or late 18th century literature. There's three primary functions in my view: 1) the formal and commonly taught use which is between independent clauses; 2) high order of list organization, allowing you to include commas in your listed items without it becoming ambiguous; and 3) sentence organization with artistic purpose in mind rather than adhering strictly to grammar laws.

Also the meme that you cannot use is a semicolon before a coordinating conjunction needs to die

here's a wonderful example of semicolon usage (this is all one sentence below)

> I shall trace the course of that revolution which terminated the long struggle between our sovereigns and their parliaments, and bound up together the rights of the people and the title of the reigning dynasty. I shall relate how the new settlement was, during many troubled years, successfully defended against foreign and domestic enemies; how, under that settlement, the authority of law and the security of property were found to be compatible with a liberty of discussion and of individual action never before known; how, from the auspicious union of order and freedom, sprang a prosperity of which the annals of human affairs had furnished no example; how our country, from a state of ignominious vassalage, rapidly rose to the place of umpire among European powers; how her opulence and her martial glory grew together; how, by wise and resolute good faith, was gradually established a public credit fruitful of marvels which to the statesmen of any former age would have seemed incredible; how a gigantic commerce gave birth to a maritime power, compared with which every other maritime power, ancient or modern, sinks into insignificance; how Scotland, after ages of enmity, was at length united to England, not merely by legal bonds, but by indissoluble ties of interest and affection; how, in America, the British colonies rapidly became far mightier and wealthier than the realms which Cortes and Pizarro had added to the dominions of Charles the Fifth; how in Asia, British adventurers founded an empire not less splendid and more durable than that of Alexander.

Eats, shoots and leaves. What's the problem?

It’s for pretentious Americans. I lose respect for anyone who uses it.

(not true by the way)

That was very insightful, thank you all

you dumb fuck oxford comma is more commonly used in British English than in American

>For my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

I don't really care either way. In most cases it is fine to use it and fine to not use it, although there are certain instances where an oxford comma can make the meaning a little clearer.

>For my parents, Ayn Rand and God.
You got a weird pair of parents there.

Oxford Comma is very useful, but the people making fuss about it are cancer.

For my parents: Ayn, Rand, and God

>reigning dynasty.

need galaxy brain for em dash

>I'm spending the day with Ted, my lover and father

what did Kierkegaard mean by this?

>highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector