Asking Questions about Biblical Quotes

What did Jesus mean by "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."?

6ἀποkριθεὶς δὲ Σίμων Πέτρος εἶπεν, Σὺ εἶ ὁ Χριστὸς ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ ζῶντος

Other urls found in this thread:

biblehub.com/greek/4771.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Posted the wrong line

kἀγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος, kαὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰkοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐkkλησίαν, kαὶ πύλαι ἅ|δου οὐ kατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς.

The "rock" is Peter's confession of faith in v. 16. The "keys" are given to the rest of the apostles in Mt. 18:18.

If you look at the full quote it is pretty simple.

"No need for push. Do need for jostle.
Peter, you is my number one apostle.
Your name is mean rock - on you I build church.
No longer for successor I have need for to search."

There is of course nothing in the text about succession or any such thing.

Why was it written in Greek and not some Israeli language?

Its implied that his role will be passed on. Read the last supper

The lingua franca was Greek.

>thou
Why does old english sound so funny

What "role"? The keys are given to all of the Apostles and not Peter specifically.

Because you're an idiot.

The role of being the foundation of the religion.

In Matthew 16:19, Jesus is speaking to Peter.

It's important to keep the previous verses in mind when reading this one. The great mystery is Christ and the Church, the Christ half of which is revealed to Peter in Matt. 16:16-17 immediately prior to your verse. In your quoted verse, Christ is revealing to Peter the second half of the great mystery, the Church. The rock He refers to is Himself, and the revelation concerning Him in the previous verses; that He is the Son of the living God. This is the foundation of the Church, or, the rock upon which it is built.

The quote is fucked up. It's "No need for jostle"

Which means what? The only "action" described is the binding and loosing (keys) which in Mt. 18:18 are given to the other Apostles.

And in Mt. 18:18 he's speaking to the other Apostles.
>Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Note the "ye" which is plural.

Matthew is a Jewish gospel in which the law is still in full effect, Peter (cf the incident at Antioch) represents the Jewish faction of Christianity.

What he means is that Judaism is the foundation of the church.

Petros means rock, it's the equivalent of the jewish Cephas. Peter is the rock that Jesus' church will be built on, i.e. he's the top guy in the earliest organised Christian community in Jerusalem. For Catholics, this means he's the first Pope, Protestants tend to interpret it as Peter's faith being the rock.

>Protestants tend to interpret it as Peter's faith being the rock.
This is also one of the popular interpretations from the Patristic era and also exists in Orthodoxy. There's no Patristic consensus on what exactly it refers to. But of course that means there's no Patristic consensus that it's Peter.

>Protestants tend to interpret it as Peter's faith being the rock.

His Faith being the rock, meaning unmoving, etc etc?

Good thing the Apostles held the council of Jerusalem and used that "binding and loosing" power that Jesus granted them, eh?

The foundation of the Church is its faith in Christ. The true rock is Christ (1 Cor. 10:4).
>And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Nice.

the more scripture i read, the more improbable the justification for key tenets of Catholicism seem. can anyone give an apology (or book) on why the Catholic church is the One True Church, based on scripture? i really like Thomism desu, but something about the Papacy stirs deep disgust in me.

Why do people always talk about this verse without looking at the rest of what Jesus says? You cannot interpret the "rock" Jesus speaks of without also mentioning the keys.

And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

The Rock, the Church will be established, and Peter will be given keys that can bind on heaven and earth.
As a Protestant, it's one of the most unsettling verses in the Bible, because he's OBVIOUSLY talking about a Church that would have authority. Couple this with what Jesus said about his Apostles having the authority to forgive sins:

And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.”

And I start to question my Protestantism

Like the Eucharist?

That is part of the earliest tradition. If you are to believe in the ministry that the Apostles built.

> "Consider how contrary to the mind of God are the heterodox in regard to the grace of God which has come to us. They have no regard for charity, none for the widow, the orphan, the oppressed, none for the man in prison, the hungry or the thirsty. They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, the flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in His graciousness, raised from the dead."

"Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D.

Again, Jesus gives the power of "binding and loosing" (the keys) to all of the Apostles in Matthew 18:18. There is nothing special about what is given to Peter.

Even if he believes the Eucharist is actually the flesh of Christ, it doesn't prove Catholicism. You people act like Orthodoxy doesn't exist. Almost all of your apologetics is based on deceiving people.

But he begins by saying, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah!" before he says, "I will give YOU the keys of the kingdom." He very clearly is speaking to Peter.

Much of the Eastern Orthodox churches were in communion with Rome. What are your particular faults with the church?

biblehub.com/greek/4771.htm
And according to this website, which I just found with an interlinear Bible, the "you" of the phrase "I will give you the keys" is singular, not plural.

Read the text, please. Here, I'll post it for you.
>Mt. 16:19 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
"unto thee" "thou shalt": Thee/thou is singular. Here he is speaking to Peter specifically.
>18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
"unto you" "ye shall": You/ye is plural. He is speaking to all of the Apostles here.

The second verse is Mt. 18:18, as I said before. Forgot to add that.

And they no longer are.

I don't care what an outdated English translation says. Look at the Greek, and you'll see it's singular.

Matthew 18:18 is plural. Again, I am talking about Matthew EIGHTEEN, not sixteen.

>The "rock" is Peter's confession of faith
>The rock He refers to is Himself
>Peter is the rock

All of these are correct interpretations. Peter is the rock because of the rock that is his faith, which is ultimately of the true Rock, Christ. Peter was given leadership in the early Church, but his role was that of a leader among equals. The Apostolic Council in Jerusalem (Acts 15:6-29) shows this. Peter is present, but James, as bishop of Jerusalem, presides.

wrong

Wrong.

Jesus never designated a pope of the religion or said that there would be a line of successors to that role.