Putting together a reading chart for classical conservatives (traditionalists). Here is what I got so far...

Putting together a reading chart for classical conservatives (traditionalists). Here is what I got so far, feel free to suggest more.

>Lament for a Nation
>Reflections on the Revolution in France
>Ideas have Consequences
>Religion and the Rise of Western Culture
>David McCullough's "John Adams"
>The Wasteland
>The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot
>Sexual Desire (Scruton)
>The Abolition of Man
>The Benedict Option
>The Abolition of Britain

youtube.com/watch?v=YkQzq5fOEK4

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditionalist_conservatism
theamericanconservative.com/dreher/pope-francis-chaplain-of-liquid-modernity/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh, The Realms of Being is another biggie

>Snoozefest: The list

>History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
>Life at the Bottom: The Worldview that Makes the Underclass
>Our Culture: What's Left of It
>The Toxic Cult of Sentimentality
>Darwin's Dangerous Idea
Some more casual stuff
>Screwtape Letters

Also, I'd advocate for them to read some left wing stuff too. People like Marx and Adorno have written extensively about how capitalism has altered Western traditions.

Ernst Cassirer - The myth of the state

Yes, and indeed they share some common ground with traditionalists in their skepticism i of individualism. But Engels seeing monogamous marriage as the first oppression and Marx seeing reproduction as the first division of labor laid the groundwork for The Dialectic of Sex. I would also say Adorno's dislike and misunderstanding of iconography makes his perspective here decidely about change rather than preservation. Though I would agree they are good reading regardless

Theres no such thing as "classical conservatives". Conservatism in general is a purely derivative position and represents no actual ideological perspective, just the effeminate submissive resistance of a fading order.

Reactionary thought is far more furtive

As for "reactionary," I am unsure what you mean. Do you refer to esoteric LARP'ing and perennial philosophy? Or are you talking about a particular and coherent school of political thought on things like law and society?

>linking a wikipedia article
Fu-huh-uh-ucking kill yourself

I draw the difference as classical conservatives are always on a defensive game, they view society like trying to protect a sand castle from the tide. Gay marriage illegal? Against it. Libs legalize it? Now we are for it! Its pathetic.

Reactionary thought on the other hand actually seeks to constitute a new value system derived from proven models and heritage of the past, to go on the offensive against a degenerate onslaught and establish a lasting new order

peter hitchens and rod dreher support gay marriage?

I think you seriously need to read Ideas Have Consequences, as you have the wrong idea about classical conservatives

This is classical conservativism: theamericanconservative.com/dreher/pope-francis-chaplain-of-liquid-modernity/

They will in time. Or at the very least become so silent and despondent about it that they may as well

Nah. You don't know what you're talking about. Neither will classical conservatives in the U.S. ever support it because we don't think judges should be legislative.

That just exactly backs my description. The writer concludes writing about how we should be looking for safe harbors to hide in and hope our own Churches don't get undermined. Its a pathetic impotent attitude

Dude its already happening. It won't be long until there's openly gay Republican Senators

He is completely right. Traditionalists don't see the state as building the moral fabric of society, but society as building the moral fabric of the state. The state as the end-all solution is a product of modernism.

The Republican Party is hardly classical conservative. The Constitutionalist Party would be closer to the mark

But its still just a society of shelterers and exiles. Wandering the desert at best.
When Hitler was rising to power he didn't rely on the state to push his agenda, from the start he established his own sets of networks of volunteers and expert systems which eventually grew to challenge the state itself. That's power, that's taking action.
People should be fucking storming the Vatican to throw Francis off his balconey not turning their heads down and leaving like a loser virgin

Ah. Well here is the problem: we STRONGLY support rule of law. Our objection to "living document" for example, has to do with that. Check out the tv series John Adams. John Adams, by the way, opposed the French Revolution as well as radicals among the American revolutionaries, and only backed the revolution when the British government started subverting rule of law. You, however, are basically just a right wing Jacobin

>classical conservatives (traditionalists)

Get some Dostoevsky up in here.

>we STRONGLY support rule of law.

Spooky horseshit

Demons is great, although C&P and Notes from Underground are also good conservative reading

Nominalism is untrue

Shut up nerd faggot

Notes on Christianity and Culture. Throw in some delicious distributists too, and the more important encyclicals

Our Enemy, the State – Albert Jay Nock
Notes on Democracy – H.L. Mencken
The Life of Reason – George Santayana
Folkways – William Graham Sumner

This is my favorite flag in the world, but not this particular design, I like the one you see for a second at the opening credits of HBO's John Adams. I want a real one of those made to fly in front of my house. I've never been able to find one though.

>classical conservatives (traditionalists)
Maybe just stop being wrong, instead