Just finished Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

And I don't get the hype. It was painful to finish. I hear it's better the second time around but I don't think I can do it. What am I missing?

>What am I missing?
Taste.

It was shit

let me guess you like Malazan

No I like coherent stories

It was a coherent story. The only fractured bits are those that the individual volumes end with, excepting the final one. If you actually want to see why people appreciate and see something in the book I'll gladly talk about it.

>Taste
>For Sci-fi fantasy
>Implying that's a good thing

it's shit

What scifi/fantasy books do you think are good? That will help me figure out what you're missing.

reddit: the book

how's your first day on Veeky Forums going?

That's a shitty (you) put more effort in next time or stay in your containment thread

Felt similar. There were moments of brilliance surrounded by monotony and confusion. I do have a desire to re-read though. Does anyone also see Sevarians fate as a sad thing?

>BotNS turns out to be an effective pleb filter
Interesting

Earth abides

Gene Wolfe's side stories are often more intriguing than the main ones.

>You'll never get to have sex with your grandma

>Your tiny blonde ageless grandmother with a tight puss puss

Life in the old Urth is indeed suffering

what's so god damn special about BotNS?
i always see people get riled up about it but i don't think i've seen anyone motivate what makes it so good.

Well dude it's like

When you read it and uh

It takes multiple

You know what? You're an asshole.

>why won’t people spoon feed me?
>if people won’t airplane-spoon the food into my mouth, I bet the food isn’t even good
This is how plebs actually think

dude, i finished Shadow of the Torturer a half-year back; gob-smacked by the unrestrained Thomism, i knew it was going to be a long endeavor to read BotNS. hopefully will read it this winter, can't wait.

what the fuck is wrong with you, i'm just asking what's so special about the book. i can tell you why you should read books i like so i assume you morons can do the same.

>Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
UH!

I'm told there's like some hidden, sub-novel in there that you have to read the book like 5 times to understand.

I don't buy it just because nobody who claims this is able to actually explain what the plot of this sub-story actually is.

It was explained probably hundreds of times in the threads and also in various essays on it.