Did ancient writers deal in sarcasm?

How can we tell?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l50XdLDRIwU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How can you tell today? How can you know sarcasm even exists?

why didn't the guy in the picture just walk away? it doesn't look like his hands or feet are tied

>implying he didn't want his head sawn in twain
Dumb frogposter.

It‘s a drawing, it can‘t go anywhere.

i know the drawing can't go anywhere, i mean the guy in the drawing dummy

Maybe it's meant to be St. Simon. cba to crop and reverse search.

That's not a guy, it's just a drawing of a guy

That's metal.
Did Michaelangelo paint this one? It seems to have the everyone-is-fat-and-muscular trope characteristic of his paintings.

woah...

youtube.com/watch?v=l50XdLDRIwU

Good idea for a skit.
The execution could have been better
but y'know it's cucked

read the first paragraph of the Categories

*clears throat*

"Things are said to be named 'equivocally' when, though they have a common name, the definition corresponding with the name differs for each. Thus, a real man and a figure in a picture can both lay claim to the name 'animal'; yet these are equivocally so named, for, though
they have a common name, the definition corresponding with the name differs for each. For should any one define in what sense each is an animal, his definition in the one case will be appropriate to that case only."

Uh. Aristotle's wrong here. Men aren't animals. That is a filthy pagan evolutionist lie.

What does it mean for a picture to be an animal?

Oh I see

>Thread has yet to provide an example

Fuck off Foucault.

Chaucer

just read Cicero you fucking faggot

damn I was gonna come in and make fun of him for not reading the Philippics and the Catilinarians at the very least

OP, don't worry, you're still an idiot

>A war is never undertaken by the ideal state, except in defense of its honor or its safety.

I-is he being sarcastic???!

>As for me, I cease not to advocate peace. It may be on unjust terms, but even so it is more expedient than the justest of civil wars.

Holy shit

>Almost no one dances sober, unless he is insane.

My entire reading of Cicero is changing

>Who is Aristophanes

>who is Machiavelli
>who is Francisco de Quevedo

He was basically the perfect foil to Cato's pure, undistilled autism.

Even piano wire, which I'm not sure existed then, isn't really meant to be cut people in half that way, which is why it's usually used for the neck. There just isn't a material in those days that can be tied to a wooden frame and then can be used to make anywhere close to a clean cut of wood and human bone.

Every Platonic dialogue

>who is Socrates
>where does the word "Irony" come from
>who is Aristotle
Start
with
the
Greeks

The original Greek word, Zoon, can actually mean both animal (including humans) but also picture, drawing, sculpture and so on.

Odyssey famously has the swineherd calling Odysseus a stupid faggot via the medium of sarcasm.

there's even an instance or two of sarcasm in The Bible.

Really? Where does he do that?
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Goatherd?

Aristophanes was definitely sarcastic. There's a lot of secondary literature by people who study Ancient Greek which analyzes how certain words and phrases were used. I'd suggest reading academic journals for this type of analysis.

Hey thanks