Essential philosophy

What are essential philosophers (or philosophical works) one should read in their lifetime, even though they're not majoring in anything related to philosophy? For instance, I'm a physicist and I'd like to read as much philosophy as humanly possible but the problem is that I don't quite know which works are essential.

So, which Greeks are the most important? Romans, Germans, French, Russian, Chinese? Lay it all on me.

Other urls found in this thread:

sacred-texts.com/astro/cwiu/cwiu02.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>greeks
>Eastern
>Germanic
Forget anything else

Kevin B. MacDonald - The Culture of Critique
L. Ron Hubbard - Dianetics

>even though they're not majoring in anything related to philosophy?
Stop having your enjoyment of ideas be constrained, this isn't stem, stop comparing them outright or else you'll never "get" philosophy and be the moron actually critiquing Plato's 2,400 year old Idealism. Humanities are meant to be learned and lived, philosophy can be an artform. The easiest and most essential way to into phil is pre-socratics, Plato, theology, Hegel . After Hegel you can into Feurebach, Marx, Engels, Keirkergaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, existentialists, Deleuze, Focault, Lacan and Derrida.

You must know the history of the natural world since the Big Bang, prehistory and the history of the civilizations. At the same time you must be learning the fundamental laws of the world and the science theories that have been made. When you finally start with the bronze age history you can also start with the study of ancient literature and at some point you will start to read philosophy. Do it and let things flow.

More like
>Greeks
>Latins
>Germans

>Latins
The only Hellenistics you need to know are the Platonists and Neoplatonists.

>>Latins
Literally who?

Because you are a physicist, I will literally find you in the afterlife and suck your dick in gratitude if you devote a considerable portion of your time to learning Husserlian and Heideggerian phenomenology, Merleau-Ponty, plus the more interesting postpositivist philosophers of science like N.R. Hanson and maybe Ludwig Fleck

Here's two book recommendations for you that I would genuinely be happy to learn that a physicist read: Koyre's _Closed World to the Infinite Universe_ and Merleau-Ponty's _Rebirth of Cosmology_.

He's not a physicist, he's a n 18-year-old kid who took a calculus and maybe a course on mechanics.

I thought you were speaking about Maurice Merleau-Ponty

Eastern vs Latin, who wins?

Noted, thanks.

Is this the first one you quoted?

sacred-texts.com/astro/cwiu/cwiu02.htm

Sounds interesting but I also covered half of the topics mentioned with my Relativity professor, he was really into philosophy and had a huge influence on me.

I'm a graduate, don't be a condescending prick. Even if an 18y/o asked for similar advice, why demean him and not outright help?

Plato
Aristotle

St. Augustine
Anselm
Aquinas
Ockham

Hobbes
Descartes
Liebniz
Spinoza
Locke
Berkeley
A. Smith
Hume
Rousseau
Bentham
Mill
Ricardo

Kant
Fichte
Schelling
Hegel
Marx
Schopenhauer
Nietzsche
Husserl
Heidegger
Gadamer

Freud
Saussure

Sartre
Beauvoir

Foucault
Derrida
Deleuze
Lacan
Butler
Zizek
Badiou

Dewey
James
Russell
Whitehead
Wittgenstein
Quine
Chomsky
Austin
Ryle
Kripke
Davidson
Putnam
Lewis
Searle
Chalmers
Rawls
Nozick

No you aren't. Fuck off you little slave, you're going over your head.

Every work by each author you listed or a selected few?

just read great books of the western world cover to cover.

good names

Awful list.

And Heraclitus, Parmenides.

I'm getting mixed messages here

Charles Sanders Peirce

The Golden Thread
The Golden Chain

Why would you want to study philosophy? Surely, as a physicist, you should know that science already figured everything out

Peirce is truly amazing.

no fuck pragmatism

Ameris should not be allowed to do philosophy

Could be worth noting for the uninitiated that Pierce was so appalled by what James made of his thought that he renamed his program "Pragmaticism" to emphasize that he didn't agree with what came to be known as "Pragmatism" after James's shitty poopularisation and the cancer that it was already turning out to be.

Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, Descartes, Kant, Hume, Hegel, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche.

I excluded Eastern philosophy because I honestly don't know much about it, and from what little I've read it takes an entirely different perspective compared to Western philosophy.

Yes, I second Monty python for truly understanding physics.

well, you could add or remove a couple of names, but those are the most important in western philosophers whether you like it or not.

The list is a very good answer to your question. is probably some randian or whatever who thinks the entire history of philosophy is shit