When we read, another person thinks for us

"We merely repeat his mental process. In learning to write, the pupil goes over with his pen what the teacher has outlined in pencil: so in reading; the greater part of the work of thought is already done for us. This is why it relieves us to take up a book after being occupied with our own thoughts. And in reading, the mind is, in fact, only the playground of another’s thoughts. So it comes about that if anyone spends almost the whole day in reading, and by way of relaxation devotes the intervals to some thoughtless pastime, he gradually loses the capacity for thinking; just as the man who always rides, at last forgets how to walk. This is the case with many learned persons: they have read themselves stupid."
>Arthur Schopenauer

Instead of asking
>How many books did you read this year?
>Did you achieve your reading goals?
I ask:
>When did you last ponder something on your own?
>Do you apply critical thought to what you read?

wow that's so deep. wait, I wasn't thinking when I read it. makes u think!

what a stupid post

Maybe makes YOU think but not me

t. read himself stupid

SHIIIIIEEEEEEEETTT

i never read books. i only ever wrote. I started reading after i had a good grip on writing. i still dont read much. just always writing.

Better than not thinking at all

I don't even read, faggot

>>Do you apply critical thought to what you read?

No. Never. I don't know how.

>The reader contributes nothing to the creation of the text.
This guy had a few duds, didn't he?

I like this post. Got any more equally interesting quotes from this man?

>just as the man who always rides, at last forgets how to walk
I agree with the thrust of the argument but what the fuck did he mean by this? I'd grant maybe "forgets to walk" as in he thinks he needs to ride everywhere even if within walking distance, but you don't just fucking forget how to walk.

>i am thinking what this bald mofo told me to think about to thinking what others just think about thinking

Wow you're a brainless

>Do you apply critical thought to what you read?
Critical thought should be the essential telos of reading, always imo.

all my literary heroes are sparing partners

Don't shitpost this is serious

wtf i hate reading now

>and by way of relaxation devotes the intervals to some thoughtless pastime
But reading is for my relaxation

no doubt about that, seeing as you cannot seem to comprehend sentences in full.

> Who always rides
Always as in at all times. He was being literal. If you ride for eternity you forget to walk.

>So it comes about that if anyone spends almost the whole day in reading, and by way of relaxation devotes the intervals to some thoughtless pastime,
>AND
fucking retard, hes saying you space out the reading with intervals for relaxation

>So it comes about that if anyone spends almost the whole day in reading, and by way of relaxation devotes the intervals to some thoughtless pastime,
>AND
fucking retard, hes saying you space out the reading with intervals for relaxation

>tfw to critical to learn too read critically

Is anything accepted as uncritically as the value of critical thinking?

For Shakespeare, a man who makes room in his mind for other people’s thoughts was like the one who “literally sold his own lands to see the lands of other men”

Be nice

Most people don't generally think in philosophical sense! — Watch the full story in our evening news program.

what if my lands are barren and infertile, while the lands of others are thriving with flora and fauna worthy of gods?

Just don’t sell your land user

so is it wrong if i spend lots of time in other lands so as to better learn how to better fertilize and tend my own?

what are you gonna better fertelize and tend if all you do is spending lots of time reading the ideas of others and never “digest” by your own what you have learned?
Nothing wrong if you do both, that’s what Schop meant if you let me guess.

>and never "digest"
but i do
why would anyone read without understanding what they're reading

>why would anyone read without understanding what they’re reading.
You are right
How about creating new ideas?
You cannot if ONLY read someone else’s

And more than that they are now living in his head rent free. What a cuckery.