/leaving/

All those books you want to read and the things you want to write about... Why not just leave the internet for a year or two and read & write?

Other urls found in this thread:

aaronsw.com/weblog/offline2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Internet addiction.

Who do you think I am, a wealthy polis citizen who can sit around and do nothing?

this is a good idea, user

write about the internet.

You're right. I'll do that.

HOW DO I LEAVE

My schoolwork, and social life all involve the influence of the internet you fat retard.

I want to go to Mars but I know it will be even worse than Earth
crammed into a trailer with 7 other people yikes no thank you
compared to that a Hong Kong apartment is spacious

> school

and I'm the retard?

its a meme, you cant

>a year or two
but i only have six books in my back log and i think only one tips 300 pages

Veeky Forums btfo

/leaving/ reading list:

My life offline by Aaron Swartz
aaronsw.com/weblog/offline2
>"[After quitting the internet] I felt not just happy, but firmly happy — solid, is the best way I can put it. I felt like I was in control of my life instead of the other way around, like its challenges just bounced off me as I kept doing what I wanted. Normally I feel buffeted by events, a thousand tiny distractions nagging at the back of my head at all times. Offline, I felt in control of my own destiny. I felt, yes, serene."

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr
Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport
Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence by Daniel Goleman
Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked by Adam Alter
The World Beyond Your Head: On Becoming an Individual in an Age of Distraction by Matthew Crawford

devastating

But what if I miss out on the refinement of my ideas by coming to 4ch--

You're right OP.

>tfw cant leave because all the books i own are pdfs

It is impossible, when sitting in the middle of any western society, to avoid the internet. For fuck's sake cafes and shop do transactions on tablets now. There is no way out. Just give in and give up. The singularity will be the time when we can figure out a way out of this shitstorm.

Blame the zionists and the mafia. It is not that hard to figure out who fucked us all so badly. They are as bad as each other, in the end.

I should be reading right now...

The only time I'm on the Internet is when I have a handful of minutes that can't be committed to any meaningful leisure pursuit. Wait, do people actually spend all day posting here? Having such little regard for their free time? Lmao @ they are life

there's no information i need that's not online

The internet should be a part of what you're reading/writing about, you don't live in the 19th Century kid

>It is not that hard to figure out who fucked us all so badly
I don't know user. I think the zionists and the mafia are a pretty unique combination.

this isn't a bad idea desu

school is out for a month soon, gonna do that

sacred trips and fpbp

Thanks, been interested in this lately. I read Irresistible (disappointing) and I'm currently reading the Shallows, which is great so far.

The main thing stopping me (other than addiction) is the feeling that I'm missing out on what's culturally relevant if I /leave/ and since I want to write, I need to be aware of cultural moods and changes. I guess taking at least a few months to a year off wouldn't hurt in the long run though.

WHAT DO ANONS?

holy shit this is great, thanks so much

Don't take it too literally, use the internet as a tool but stop YouTube and Veeky Forums and any other form of information hording and read and write

> what are newspapers
> what is socializing irl
> what is radio

Library's printing cost is usually 5 or 10 cents a page. Just print the ones you know you will read

Only useful for keeping up with middle America over the age of 40. Kill yourself if you think those are valid substitutes.

DON'T TELL ME TO KILL MYSELF OR I WILL FUCKING DO IT I SWEAR TO GOD I'M ON THE FUCKING EDGE BUDDY

Be free, my man
Let go of the heavy and rotten shackle of existence

Kill yourself

>stop Veeky Forums
>I read this on Veeky Forums

Wat?

Hey, guys. Maybe you don't need to do dramatic 180 turns to improve your life. Maybe you should just endeavor to leave the internet on week-ends, or just Sundays, or failing that a couple of hours one day per week. Maybe even a couple of hours everyday, or just one hour everyday. Then work yourself up.

i can do both

>paying 30 dollars to print a book instead of just buying it for 2 bucks off Amazon

niguh wut

The guy obviously doesnt want to buy a copy, otherwise he would already know what to do. Alternatively, he could just use his local library to read books

This. Going cold turkey and stopping completely for years is the same thing as fat people who go on huge diets where they exclusively eat super clean all the time and eat 1500 calories a day.

The vast, vast majority don't stick with it. Make smaller changes until they become part of your routine and feel normal, then make bigger ones until you get to where you want to be. Those are the changes that stick with you.

I saw this post last night and thought i'd give it a try, literally coudn't for a full day, pretty pathetic.