Lurk lit

>lurk lit
>decide to read some nietzsche
>buy "beyond good and evil"
>don't understand a single sentence

Anyone else 70 IQ here? How can I learn to understand this style of writing?

Start with the

G R E E K S
R K
E E
E E
K R
S K E E R G

Start with the...

Practice. Consistent effort. Multiple readings. SparkNotes/cliff notes for guidance. Read other people's thoughts on Nietzsche's work.

It takes times. Eventually his writing flows in your mind and you can follow his metaphors and bombastic aphorisms in a coherent manner.

Power through, try to think what it is he's trying to say. Read the entire thing.

Speed read him.

Is beyond good and evil the best starting point? I'm looking to get into Nietzsche, but a friend of mine said twilight of the idols would be better.

>start with the greeks
nietzche references his influences (literally Dionysus in his case) as well as comtemporary christian philosophy
modern philosophers reference nietzche
if you begin at the beginning (in this case, the greeks are as close as we can get) you'll have a good foundation to understanding western philosophy

>Is beyond good and evil the best starting point?
No, well in a way yes, but you need to read at least the pre-socratics and Plato, and have a general understanding of the history of philosophy/christianity. Nietzsche taught Greek philosophy for years before he published his own work, and when he did it was on the Greeks (also happens to be his best imo, BGE is fun but structurally a mess). There is no point in reading a lot of his work without an understanding of what he responds to, the beginning of BGE if I remember is a polemic on Plato. Don't be that moron who started philosophy with Nietzsche, the guy who deconstructs philosophy and religion, it's so fucking dumb, none of it will have any impact on you, for instance
from the first chapter "On the prejudices of philosophers"

>The will to truth that still seduces us into taking so many risks, this famous truthfulness that all philosophers so far have talked about with veneration: what questions this will to truth has already laid before us!
or
>Suppose that truth is a woman – and why not? Aren’t there reasons for suspecting that all philosophers, to the extent that they have been dogmatists, have not really understood women? That the grotesque seriousness of their approach towards the truth and the clumsy advances they have made so far are unsuitable ways of pressing their suit with a woman?
or from the next page
>The stiff yet demure tartuffery used by the old Kant to lure us along the clandestine, dialectical path that leads the way (or rather: astray) to his “categorical imperative” – this spectacle provides no small amusement for discriminating spectators like us, who keep a close eye on the cunning tricks of the old moralists and preachers of morals. Or even that hocus pocus of a mathematical form used by Spinoza to arm and outfit his philosophy (a term which, when all is said and done, really means “his love of wisdom”) and thus, from the very start, to strike terror into the heart of the attacker who would dare to cast a glance at the unconquerable maiden and Pallas Athena:

If you aren't familiar with philosophers then this doesn't mean anything to you, so don't read it.

You cant start there, go with something easy that interests you, maybe some fiction that is constantly mocked here.

This desu

start with Thus Spoke Zarathustra, its easier to understand.

not op but I have started with the greeks

I'm getting made fun of for reading slow ( I usually read a few pages or a section then reflect on it and/or reread the section/pages)

However she reads majority of fiction so I am unsure if to take her criticism to seriously

should I just speed read or take my time?

Take your time. Read however you feel comfortable. It often depends on the book, too. Sometimes you might feel more confident reading something all in one day. Don't let her comments get to you. Better to digest a book slowly than to gulp it down and shit it out.

My philosophy professor recommended starting with the Gay Science. It gives an introduction to Nietzsche and his ideas in general

How might N change my life, so this seems like it's worth the effort?

Start with (Nietzsches commentary on) the Greeks.

Read a guide on Nietzsche first

Go to college.

>How can I learn to understand this style of writing?
Try contracting brain-degenerative syphilis, it will help you get into Nietzsche's frame of mind.

Ξεkινήστε με τους

ΕΛΛΗΝΕΣ
Λ
Λ
Η
Ν
Ε
Σ

This.

Its written as a novel instead of dry philosophy, and Ol' freddie boys prose is on point.

its not my fav Nietzsche, but it was the most fun to read.

I don't think Nietzsche is particularly life changing, especially since much of his ideas are ingrained in western thought already.

If anything reading him will give you a deeper understanding of what you already inherently understood about the world; at least that was my experience.

He's also probably the best writer in the western philosophical canon. Homie's language is beautiful.

who is "she"

>He's also probably the best writer in the western philosophical canon. Homie's language is beautiful.
So I have to learn German?

Does prose transcend languages? How well do his writings translate into English?

Hell for all I know he originally wrote in English. Never read him, just know that he's German.

>lurk sci
>decide to read some grothedieck
>buy "elements of algebraic geometry"
>don't understand a single sentence
Start with the basics, brainlet.

Yes, you have to learn German.
Reading Nietzsche in English is like watching English dubbed anime

Terrible advice. It may be decent advice for a college student who wants to keep reading after taking a literature class, but average joe doesn't stand a chance of comprehending the Greeks (esp. not if they can't even understand Nietzsche).

Actual newbs should start with "newer" classics, e.g. Animal Farm or A Single Man - you know, stuff they can actually read.