Please stop being afraid of contemporary poetry, guys

please stop being afraid of contemporary poetry, guys

It’s good. One of few books able to make me cry

have you read much like it? what kind of stuff would you recommend

dl link please

I remember only finding two or three good images in that one. I'd rather contemporary poetry stop being afraid of being good, OP.

What's her politician orientation? I can't enjoy poetry unless It's written by fascists.

TO SPIN IS MIRACLE CAT

a line of dust behind me
dust beneath my wheels
having lived at all
is miracle cat
and peace is war by other means
said a wise old man
the clarity of the blue curve
overhead the bowstring of day
veed taut the tinny notes
of this my radio the sad call
from the pages of a book
are all if truth be known
I can hold within my head
deer on the mountain
blackbird in the air
the world is circle
and movement I its center rider
and each is something else
by other means dust
beneath the wheels line
behind the car our
paws need licking when we
pause to sort the way
that cat is the quantity
the maximum quantum
leap of dust to blaze
of day starting with eye
sometimes catching language
often losing words to circle
and movement to utter leaves
like trees to spin
is miracle cat

Anne Carson's pretty great. One of the only few more than decent literary figures to come of out the cultural wasteland that is Canada.

It's on libgen

>contemporary poetry is salvagable because it partakes of ancient greek mythology
that's not a criticism, it's a great book.

contemp poetry is p great bud, especially the less political stuff

>I'd rather contemporary poetry stop being afraid of being good, OP.
this

you're minds been softened by watery purple prose and rupi kaur threads,

Just help explain to me, please. Let's take a look at a passage from Carson's book. This is how it's written in the book:

>Later well later they left the bar went back to the centaur's
>Place the centaur had a cup made out of a skull Holding three
>Measures of wine Holding it he drank Come over here you can
>Bring your drink if you're afraid to come alone The centaur
>Patted the sofa beside him Reddish yellow small alive animal
>Not a bee moving up Geryon's spine on the inside

Honestly, please help explain why that is better than this:

>Later, well later, they left the bar and went back to the centaur's place. The centaur had a cup made out of a skull that held three measures of wine. Holding it, he drank. "Come over here. You can bring your drink if you're afraid to come alone." The centaur patted the sofa beside him. It felt like a reddish yellow small alive animal, not a bee, moved up Geryon's spine on the inside.

I'm open to listening why the previous is better than the latter. Truly, help me understand.

Alice Munro being the best.

(In my opinion.)

Hi Norm.

Allow me to engage in a thought experiment and regurgitate what someone who disagreed with you might say:

Don't you understand, all a poem needs to be a poem is enjambment. We have freed ourselves of the self imposed restrictions our ancestors placed on poetry like rhyme, meter, assonance, consonance, alliteration, or quality. A poem doesn't have to be good, it just has to speak to you.

It's supposed to replicate the format of reading a scholarly translation of an ancient greek text, in which awkward enjambment is present because they want to keep the lines for research and citation purposes.

that's bullshit.
anyone who makes a claim like: 'all a poem needs to be a poem is...' doesn't know what they're talking about. you won't ever manage to find any single category, technique or element universal to all poetry. moreover, you won't ever agree with anyone completely, assuming you actually engage with a large and varied amount of poetry, on what makes 'good' poetry good.
I don't know who you're strawmaning there but you're doing a pretty shitty job of playing devils advocate. i don't know anyone who's interested in poetry who would say what you've just said.
also, there's no such thing as poetry without meter.
also also, try and find any piece of language in which you can't find any assonance/consonance/rhyme?
i'm sorry you're an idiot. open yourself up to poetry and approach it with some fucking humility.

>what if I take a greek myth about a monster, and replace all the characters with gay faggots who fuck all the time and are all soft boys with a tough upbringing in modern day times?
wow bravo anne
I still cant believe john ashbery is dead and we're left with shit like this

Anne Carson is an actual professor of the classics and has written an influential book on ancient greek poetry. She's not just "updating" myths for pretension value.

all she does is mimic Sappho
making superficial observations involving mild turns of phrase
she's the Rupi Kaur of actual poets

If a contemporary poem has a rigid structure, clear meter, and rhymes, then I will gladly stop being afraid of it. Otherwise, I would rather not spend my time on reading texts with random line breaks that pretend to be poems.

Bloom likes it.

Is there a nice compilation of different contemporary authors? I wanna get a taste and then see which ones i like...

That's stupid

I dont "GET IT", can you help me?

Why shouldn't people be afraid of contemporary poetry when doesn't advertise poets actually worth reading?

WTF...Why are you so mad?
also are you not contradicting yourself by saying there is no universal way to characterize poetry but then go on doing that by saying it has to have meter?

Listen art movements have to come out of a set of new restrictions and beliefs. They are not announcing some inherent truth but making an interesting announcement, directing attention towards something else that might be interesting. If others do find it interesting they join in and eventually a movement is formed and aknowledged.

>and rhymes
go away brainlet

you're pretty dumb, parallelism and repetition are the primary sonic technique of poetry, even more common than meter

line-breaks are a pretty powerful way to influence pacing, and that's reason enough to use them, but line ends and beginnings are great ways to highlight (and hide) repetition that comes out when speaking.

Ashbery's great, but so's Carson

>random line breaks
you need to study technique more than you have and you might honestly enjoy more contemp stuff

Someone on Veeky Forums should make a contemporary poetry chart.

I’m not afraid, I honestly think it’s mostly bullshit. The “everything’s poetry if I say so” bullshit killed poetry. I’m subscribed to pretty much all literary journals in my country and I buy contemporary anthologies, so I’m not living in a bubble of “old” literature. I just honestly don’t like most of it.

There are some contemporary poets from my country that I like, but they’re overshadowed by dozens of memers. Haven’t found anything in English yet.

The 60s British and Irish Poetry Revival killed poetry, Heaney's success in America secured contemporary poetry's death.

no it's not a contradiction. not all poetry has *regular* meter, but every poem has meter - i mean, maybe you could read a poem without putting any stresses or accents into it at all, in some sort of robotic monotone, but then even that is some sort of unique zero degree meter.
and i'm mad because the user, maybe you, adopted for the sake of argument a stance no serious poetry enthusiast is gonna take - presumably so he could massage his own stupid and limiting ideological perspectives on literature.

>you won't ever manage to find any single category, technique or element universal to all poetry.
>also, there's no poetry without meter.

To be fair, he said she's the greatest writer of all time. I'm only saying the greatest canuck.