what r fantasy books like dark souls? thx

Roadside Picnic
Hull zero Three
Metro 2033

and berzerk? what about the berzerk

goodreads.com/book/show/34122191-the-consequences-of-trolling-god

truly the dark souls of fantasy novels.

Who took the picture though?

What are some other books like Shadow of the Torturer? Specially the subtle world building and the total ignorance of what the main character about his world.

Veeky Forums.
someone has to make the food somehow.

Are there any books about necromancers that aren't edgy garbage or do I have to write it myself?

>start reading The Black Company
>a bunch of people die right off the bat but nothing particularly cruel
>one character SAVES a little girl from getting raped

I thought this book was going to be super edgy and the characters were going to be unlikable assholes?

Somebody post that Goodreads Abercrombie parody.

They are. Our hero absolutely loves being a genetic elite doing genetic elite things, the entire second book is him doing bad guy things to ingratiate himself to the guy who executed his wife. Really fun action.

What fantasy books are like Saberhagen's Berserkers?

Final Fantasy X.

Croaker is an unreliable narrator who himself admits he glosses over any time people in the Black Company murder and rape innocents because he views everyone as his family and refuses to badmouth them

Add imajica and dhalgren to that list for full degeneracy.

Garret PI is better anyway

Sabriel

They're pretty explicitly raping people in the second book

tfw can't decide what to read next

Someone make sure to put Kaleidoscope Century on the GRI chart.

that image made me think i don't remember ever hearing a stand up comedian make a joke at the expense of furries. i guess the big names are all 50 and + and even if they are connected they don't think they can refer to this to normies

I keep a list of stuff to read, then use a random number generator to pick the next one. If I’m not feeling it right then, I’ll generate another number.

i tried to listen to the audiobook and zzzz damn i couldnt get into it. tried maybe 4 times. dk why, the prose is too flashy maybe, too dense to listen to if i don't catch something to "hook" me in from the get go.

For that one user who keeps shilling the first book.

I hope you know this is out.

So then, what's the best furry SFF?

posted it in the last thread for those who are interested.
im personally gonna hold off till the audiobook is out though.

Norstrilia - Cordwainer Smith

Is The Last Unicorn good?
I remember watching a cartoon about it ages ago when I was a kid and I really liked it, but I never read the book.
Would it be too childish for an adult?

the animated movie is quite a bit different from the book.
the book is actually quite adult.
and it features unicorn romance.

>catgirl isn't on the cover
dropped

idk, how do you feel about sensual massage?

shes a wolfgirl, the girl on the first cover is andrea the second cover is kit the telepath

>no ears
>no tail
>wolfgirl

(posted in old thread)
Is Way of Kings any good or is just anime trash?
First Chapter is some dude using his SICK powers to flip around a room.

Should I keep going?
If not, should I go with Elric?

first cover is wolf girl
this cover is the telepath

Sounds interesting.
Thanks for the input m8, I'll check it out.
No, not because of the unicorn romance

Any good fantasy books with monster girls in them?

ohhhhhhhhh, that's why the tail is so bushy
well then
>kemonomimi isn't on the cover
dropped

I hope you're pleased with yourself.

Webnovels are novels too

Depends on if it's the future liberals want.

You lost me.

Somebody used the cover of Godsfire for a "this is the future liberals want" image macro.

That's odd. Was it supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

>What are some good fantasy novels with dwarves as protagonists?
You okay with gnomes? Try Cogweaver Trilogy.

It's good anime trash. But if the prologue was too anime for your tastes, the rest of the series isn't going to get any more tolerable.

Presumably a parody of the entire meme, like all the "this is the ideal male body" (photo of George Costanza) parodies.

That's a shame. I was hoping I could find something with detail to world building, and mythological implications. A world with morality, good versus evil. Instead all I can find are the Marvel equivalent of fantasy books.

Ah, that sounds like Veeky Forums.

Mormon man does world building just fine.

I'll give it another go.
Still the fact that so many women enjoyed the book seems like a pretty good warning to stay away.

The Chanur novels.

Thinking about writing an Alternate Timeline, Alternate History, Fantasy novel. Sounds good.

Pretty many of literally any gender, including helicopters, enjoyed the book, second to GRRM Sanderson is probably the most popular fantasy writer.

After having read 5 Chapters of both Stormlight and Malazan, I've decided to stick with the latter.

>popular fantasy writer
>in 2017

I shudder.

Well your opinions are literally Hitler.

>Wardship to a woman of great renown was the best way to be schooled in the feminine arts: music, painting, writing, logic, and science. It was much like how a young man would train in the honor guard of a brightlord he respected.

Sanderson pls

>feminine arts
>logic, and science
I know this is high fantasy, but it's really stretching it.

It's a cultural thing, and men can volunteer to be slave-monks if they want to be scholars but not participate in society. Navani probably has an army of neckbearded ardents named Stevet doing all the work she takes credit for.

Read the fucking books before you shit talk. They did that so wamens wouldn't get weapons. In a world where a shardsword is as tall as you, weighs the mass of a broom handle, and can cut through literally anything, strength is not a factor.
Shardweapons are the great levers. Men took weapons from females and made it a "man only" occupation, so women got the other shit.

>Great Britain... In the not too distant future, after a brutal, civil race war against immigrants and anyone non-white British, David, an ex-soldier with a tragic past and nothing left to live for sets off on a perilous journey of revenge and redemption into the heart of a lawless and unrecognizable, un-United Kingdom.
>As David seeks the barbaric racist murderers who brutally butchered his own, mixed raced lover, he is joined on this dangerous journey into the stunning, yet unforgiving, Scottish Highlands by Louise, a young black Muslim girl, searching for her own missing family, in amongst the chaotic aftermath.

wow sounds compelling and brilliant

oh my
this is so fuckin cancer
its not enough to make "oh my racist" they put a fuckin black muslin

MUH SEXISM
Do you not realize that gender roles are not 'CULTURAL'. That a society must adhere to natural laws or risk degeneration and ultimately extinction.

Our issue with that is not that MUH WOMEN R SUPERIOR. It's that it's inherently unnatural. Men aren't the master of logic and science because we of power dynamics. They are so because of their innate biological and spiritual ability.

Britain belongs to the darkies don't ya know

There's no example of a DYEL shardbearer doing any damage though.

If anything your explanation has even larger marxist undertones... that the PATRIARCHY forced women to the sciences so that men could hold the TRUE power.

Geez man, I mean, Aes Sedai man, you know. Aes Sedai baka

aes sedai should be raped

Lil disappointed with neuromancer.

It's a good book but I would not say that it have aged well.

>that ending for Warlock of the Magus World
what the heck was that? who was Khali? I should've seen the tree of life coming but I didn't. Also the bit with Jergal was too short imo.
>it's finally over

I felt the same way bro, you can tell how rushed the author was.

>mfw 3 arcs compressed into 3 chapters
Never got to learn more about leylins family, who else he knocked up or what they were up too.
never will
Can finally marathon the series completely.

What are some good fantasy anthologies?

More importantly, was he invading his old home world? The A.I chip was never explained either. I'm somewhat annoyed.
Are you planning to read it again from the beginning?

Possibly, it seems to be what he was hinting since it had AI chips and super humans.
I will be reading it from the start.
Since he has time powers it's possible he could go visit his old family too.

Leylin SoL spinoff when?

>ywn be an Asha'man and bond an arrogant Aes Sedai against her will

Kali is a Hindu god of destruction. She was featured in Black Company and lord of light.

Broken Empire Trilogy starts out similar, not particularly dark though.

I'm pretty sure that's unrelated

Anybody know of a place where I can read some random shorts, ideally from established settings? Like TES, 40K fanfiction and the like. No sexual stuff.

Not exactly what you're looking for but: scp-wiki.net/

theres the HFY collection.
this is not complete but its being updated all the time
imgur.com/gallery/w3nA4
then theres this archive hfy-archive.org/

for more stuff try the 1d4chan archive and look for story time threads

Reave the Just and Other Tales by Stephen Donaldson

Can someone reccomend me something that's as large and intricate as Malazan
but actually good and with actual characters and characterization?

I need to read some epic fantasy besides LOTR and ASOIAF where there's a huge amount of lore and fan theories and such. Something I can lose myself in for a while.

Ideally something ongoing, but by an author who puts out books faster than Martin.

Dunsany has a bunch.

That image is beyond retarded.

Go fuck yourself.

Sanderson. But don't blame me when you realize he's average at best.

There's no such thing.

Anyone got any suggestions for low-stakes books with interesting characters?

I'm sick of the apocalypse and the evil megacorp coming to kill the main character. I want something a little more grounded, but which isn't "what I did in Dublin today :)" levels of grounded.

Warlock of the Magus world and all the other novels like it all have zero stakes, interesting characters is debatable however, I'd say it has at least an interesting main character, even if everybody else are props.

Not ongoing, but WoT

Just picked up 'Hard to Be a God' by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

Anyone here read it? Decent read?

>The novel's core idea is that human progress throughout the centuries is often cruel and bloody, and that religion and blind faith can be effective tools of oppression, working to destroy the emerging scientific disciplines and enlightenment
*tips fedora*

Updated. If you have other list them